Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings –

I'm new to the form and to Subaru's in general to some degree. I have just purchased for my daughter 2012 Outback 2.5i Premium with 114,500 miles on it. I'm now at the proverbial point of having to deal with the CVT and the differentials. I've reviewed a number of posts here regarding whether or not the fluids should be changed, drained and filled, flushed etc. and how often, and by whom. It would seem the answers to these questions are still somewhat debatable.

So, here is my question: As regards to the CVT and the differential maintenance, is there any real downside to actually changing the fluids other than possibly generally screwing up the process in some manner, or possibly voiding a warranty? In short, I can't seem to find an argument that such maintenance is not in fact good for the machinery. If this is true, I will probably have the work done by a dealership.

Any further thoughts? Thanks. Have a great day.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,478 Posts
1. Do it.
2. you're already out of warranty, so no need to worry.
3. Dealership to do it: good idea since they will (should) do it right and not grenade the powertrain. And if something does happen, the are less of a hassle to deal with.

I do my differentials every 50k miles or so since it is easy (for me anyways). I leave the CVT to the dealership because it is a hassle to do without a lift and if something were to happen, they are responsible and would be held to it by me. (if I screw up, it's a costly mistake for me). Paying them $300 every 60k miles is good peace of mind and insurance for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Do it.
2. you're already out of warranty, so no need to worry.
3. Dealership to do it: good idea since they will (should) do it right and not grenade the powertrain. And if something does happen, the are less of a hassle to deal with.

I do my differentials every 50k miles or so since it is easy (for me anyways). I leave the CVT to the dealership because it is a hassle to do without a lift and if something were to happen, they are responsible and would be held to it by me. (if I screw up, it's a costly mistake for me). Paying them $300 every 60k miles is good peace of mind and insurance for me.
Mjohnson -- All good points. Thank you. Will likely get the CVT changed when I do the timing belt.

Thanks for the advice, especially about the ease of the differential vs. the CVT. Sound distinction.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,478 Posts
Front diff fills have been messed up in the past, though I think the 2012 year was the last foolproof year. 2012 and earlier, the front diff was filled via the breather hose (passenger side of the trans). Later on a fill port was added, can cause confusion with a similar plug on opposite side that leads in the CVT.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: been doing research on all of this and I'm heading in on Monday to the dealership for timing belt and CVT drain and fill. We'll discuss the differential situation when I get there.

Thanks again for your time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts