Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Don't ask me why it took me so long to figure this out. But if you are of the camp that likes to do regualr CVT fluid changes, then go to Walmart and buy their one gallon pump sprayer in the Gardening section. Seriously, it costs only $6.80 at my store, which is only about $2 more than that Mickey Mouse pump that screws onto the top of your 1 quart bottles and takes about 50 squirts per bottle.

I tried itoday, it moved 5.5 quarts of fluid and I didn't spill a drop! And it took me 1/4 of the time.

The only mod you have to do is remove the nozzle at the tip of the wand.

I've owned a few cars that filled their transmissions in a similar fashion, and I wish I had known abot this years ago. Anyway, I hope this post save somebody some headache.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's funny, because for $35 you can buy a "Fluid transfer pump" on Amazon which is exactly the same thing. The nozzle might be a little different. Now I just need to find a DIY that turn one of these things into a "Fluid Extractor"!

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Tthat long wand doesn't cause awkward access to the fill port? (I haven't been under the car for a while)
those wands aren't longer than about 18".... I have a small sprayer like this for weeds... and the wand is annoyingly short. Good for close in work if you have a rose bush or garden I suppose.

Never thought of using those to push fluid. They're inexpensive enough.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tthat long wand doesn't cause awkward access to the fill port? (I haven't been under the car for a while)
Oh man, that wand was perfect for the job. It even has a little bend at the tip to make access easy. And the hose is long enough that the container can sit next to your friont tire. I barely even had to get under the car!

I will never own one of those bottle-top pumps ever again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You're right about the bottle hand-pumps, feel the burn :LOL:. During a Drain-And-Fill, I've been filling the first 5-quarts of CVT fluid from up top (got the idea from another member here), and I will then add the remainder of fluid from down below (maybe another 1.5 qts), using the aforementioned and dreaded hand-pump. I will say that I DO like your idea about the inexpensive sprayer from WalMart though.

20181123_143527.jpeg

20181123_143435.jpeg

20181123_143403.jpeg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts