Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring 3.6R
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone. Last month I started this thread discussing if & when to do a cvt drain & fill service. I mentioned in the thread I would have my dealer perform a drain & fill on my next service appointment and I would send a sample of the fluid to Blackstone Labs for analysis. I had the service completed, sent the fluid Blackstone and received my report yesterday. I attached the report for your viewing pleasure. After sending off my sample, I read in a post somewhere to shake my container of fluid before pouring it in to Blackstone's container. I don't know if this is accurate, and if so, will it affect the results?

Vehicle: 2019 Outback Touring 3.6R
Date of Purchase: 12/27/2018
Date of CVT service: 02/08/2020
Mileage at service: 49,925

Driving Habits: I drive a 176 round trip daily commute (M-F) that is 90%+ highway driving with some local driving on weekends. I've never towed & I have not done any off road adventures (yet). I do not abuse my car but I do test its "vehicle passing capabilities" regularly. Lol.

Attachments

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,224 Posts
Good morning everyone. Last month I started this thread discussing if & when to do a cvt drain & fill service. I mentioned in the thread I would have my dealer perform a drain & fill on my next service appointment and I would send a sample of the fluid to Blackstone Labs for analysis. I had the service completed, sent the fluid Blackstone and received my report yesterday. I attached the report for your viewing pleasure. After sending off my sample, I read in a post somewhere to shake my container of fluid before pouring it in to Blackstone's container. I don't know if this is accurate, and if so, will it affect the results?

Vehicle: 2019 Outback Touring 3.6R
Date of Purchase: 12/27/2018
Date of CVT service: 02/08/2020
Mileage at service: 49,925

Driving Habits: I drive a 176 round trip daily commute (M-F) that is 90%+ highway driving with some local driving on weekends. I've never towed & I have not done any off road adventures (yet). I do not abuse my car but I do test its "vehicle passing capabilities" regularly. Lol.
Thanks for posting!

Here is a cross reference to mine:

Same Engine, Transmission, Fluid, Miles, and Generation.

My fluid looks a little worse. Much higher copper but I suspect the high copper content in my result is from an aftermarket (copper) CVT cooler.

I didn't shake my fluid or anything before sending it in. I captured it from draining it directly from the drain pan.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
223 Posts
This is great info! I wish I knew about this when I did mine. I am going to be sending them an oil sample to see what that shows me.

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2016 Limited 3.6R
249 Posts
Would a cooler extend the life of the fluid/transmission even if you don't tow or tow often?

I tow a small utility trailer a few times a year to the dump, or maybe help a friend move, I never exceed 1,500lbs ish so I've never gone above and beyond to protect my vehicle from towing wear and tear. I'm also in Canada so the fear of overheating the transmission only occurs 3 months of the year lol.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Touring 3.6R
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would be your course of action if the results came back not to your liking?
If the fluid reveals any wear and tear beyond what's considered normal, I would present the report to my dealer and have them investigate further.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Here is one over at the subaruforester forum. First post.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Has anyone seen some 2nd or 3rd or 4th CVT service oil samples yet? It would be nice to see an oil analysis without the 'breakin' residue.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,224 Posts
Has anyone seen some 2nd or 3rd or 4th CVT service oil samples yet? It would be nice to see an oil analysis without the 'breakin' residue.
Please link if you find!

It's tough too because the TR 580, TR690, and High Torque TR690 all have different fluids.

Plus! The HT TR690 in the Ascent and Gen 6 XT also has a different fluid.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'll test again later this year when I do CVT service #5 on my TR580 at 150k miles. I only sampled on service #4 and it showed very slightly elevated Iron compared to 'trends'. I should have been sampling all along to see if the iron was creeping up or was there all long. Just order a sample kit from Blackstone.

For anyone wondering, the sample kits are free, the test costs about $30.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Pearl Outback 3.6R Premier
187 Posts
I tow a small utility trailer a few times a year to the dump, or maybe help a friend move, I never exceed 1,500lbs ish so I've never gone above and beyond to protect my vehicle from towing wear and tear. I'm also in Canada so the fear of overheating the transmission only occurs 3 months of the year lol.
I monitor my CVT temperature. Last summer I pulled a 2000lb trailer out of Death Valley, a significant and very long incline in hot weather. It did fine, in fact, my CVT temperature got hotter in stop and go city traffic in Las Vegas without the trailer in tow. I would not be concerned about your limited towing.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
619 Posts
so looks like 50k-60k is the range to get the fluid changed? is there a report for someone going to 100k?

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,103 Posts
All the UOAs I've seen have been from vehicles with around 50k, and all are pretty similar, which would seem to suggest at least 75k should be safe (which was Blackstone's explicit recommendation in that FXT thread).

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,657 Posts
My understanding is that Subaru has told dealerships to not do frequent CVT fluid changes. When I had mine done at 60,0000, the dealer tried to talk me out of it. My guess is Subaru has had to eat some transmissions after a botched fluid change job.

I'm now thinking I should have gotten the kit and sent it off for analysis. Oh well.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 3.6R; Magnetite on Gray Leather, Package 24, Bone Stock for Now
125 Posts
So much for Subaru saying it's a "lifetime" fluid. Looks like changing every 40k-60k wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,103 Posts
Interpreting these UOAs is less straight forward than motor oil, but Blackstone seems to think the one in the FXT thread is fine. Sure, there are some wear metals, but the additives are not badly depleted (fresh HT-CVT fluid results are also posted there).

We haven't seen any "bad" UOAs, so while I wouldn't necessarily want to be the guinea pig, there's really no evidence that the fluid can't go 100 or even 200k miles.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 2.5i
619 Posts
Interpreting these UOAs is less straight forward than motor oil, but Blackstone seems to think the one in the FXT thread is fine. Sure, there are some wear metals, but the additives are not badly depleted (fresh HT-CVT fluid results are also posted there).

We haven't seen any "bad" UOAs, so while I wouldn't necessarily want to be the guinea pig, there's really no evidence that the fluid can't go 100 or even 200k miles.
would you take it to 100k?

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
223 Posts
would you take it to 100k?
I did, took it to 115,000 miles about...until I had to change my Control Valve Body in the transmission; I would've taken it to the life of the car if not.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts