Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited TR690 Gen I Trans
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post here and save the DYI crowd some dollars should you get a code that requires the "Subaru non serviceable valve body".

I was getting codes p0700 and p0762 which resulted in my torque convertor lockup solenoid being bad.

While others have done great write ups on every aspect of fixing these cars which is a blessing, I did not have that time to document it however it's very straightforward.

Get the specs - I found this site to be overwhelmingly helpful - https://atracom.blob.core.windows.net/webinars/import/subaru_lineartronic_cvt_introduction.pdf

YMMV but my codes directed me to test the ohm's/resistance for the torque lockup solenoid from the connector on top of the trans. I also have the gen I tr690 cvt which makes it much easier as the valve body is accessed from the bottom instead of the Gen II TR580 that is accessed from the top.

After verifying I had 0 ohms as opposed to the required 10 to 13 ohms from memory dont quote me please look it up with that link, I knew I needed to replace the solenoid.

Call around and it becomes very apparent that the valve body is non serviceable. If you need one solenoid then you have to cough up appx 700 dollars to get the new valve body with the solenoids attached.

Heres what I did: Get on Ebay and find the solenoid out of Poland for 132 dollars plus shipping, drain the fluid, drop the pan, drop the valve body and then Remove/Replace your solenoid.

Only hiccup is that the plastic cover from the original valve body needs to be moved to the new solenoid. It's tricky, there are two clips on the plastic retainer that internally stick in the bottom of the solenoid, and you have to pry them gently apart to release them.

Another area of studying as I could not get the clip back on was that the new solenoid had a tiny bit too much solder for the cover to clear. sand it down gently, took no effort and voila the clip is on.

Reinstall and Fill with fluid - that procedure is well documented and there is a great video on youtube of the Valve body remove and replace.

I am out of warranty anyway so no issues filling my trans with redline fluid - again just make sure you fill/check when the trans is appropriate temp. Mine took appx 10.5 quarts total.

Hopefully this saves everyone some cash. The solenoid did take appx 2 weeks so plan on that downtime however to me it was worth a potential misdiagnoses or the other potential of a quote from my dealer of 5 to 8k...

Best of luck!

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,853 Posts
This is great info! Thank you.

Was the solenoid itself soldered in place or did it just clip to the valve body?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The solenoids on the valve body have a oil seal on them and are also bolted down as a group with retainers. I removed the 4 maybe 5 bolts that held the retainers down and then removed the appropriate solenoid. Snapped it back into the valve body after lubing the seal with trans fluid and then bolted her back down.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 Limited
923 Posts
That's awesome! Nicely done. Do you have a link to the solenoids for others who might contemplate purchasing?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey all, sorry to get back here so late, as soon as I got the Subie fixed the Grand Cherokee blew a RMS after 260k miles...New engine and trans going in it now which is great!

Here are the only 2 pics I took of the valve body, you can find a wonderful video on youtube with the whole disassembly to get the valve body on the bench.

You will see a soft metal "hook" on the left hand side holding down that blue and white with black sheilding down. It just bends up easily to release the wires. Then you will see the "gold" colored bolts that have the U shaped retainers for the solenoids.

Your codes may vary as to which solenoid you need to replace, to be honest as long as the ohms/resistance are correct some solenoids may be the exact same part.

Use this to determine which solenoids have the same ohm resistance:

https://atracom.blob.core.windows.net/webinars/import/subaru_lineartronic_cvt_introduction.pdf

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the link to the actual website:

www.maktrans.net

I ordered off of Amazon as there are lots of options there. I looked in my history and cant find the actual part in my purchased items which is super weird to me maybe it's filtered in my view, dunno.

Maktrans is out of Poland so remember it's going to take 10-14 days or so. I am assuming they are an OEM Tier 1 supplier to Subaru and others. I sell ERP for a living and they fit the part no pun intended ; )

Also, after I placed my order they asked me again for another transaction to ship the part at 12 bucks, I've had no issues whatsoever, this is a normal process.

I ordered knowing it was a tiny part being shipped overseas but it worked great for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I need to do this. I was wondering is the electrical connection on the solenoid itself a plug or is it soldered?

Also the screener / filter... Can it be cleaned?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I need to do this. I was wondering is the electrical connection on the solenoid itself a plug or is it soldered?

Also the screener / filter... Can it be cleaned?
Luckily, I was able to find this video that gave the answer. My son told me that I should join so that I can post the answer for you as a public service, so here it is.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,120 Posts
everything is serviceable even if you have to use used parts to do it... nice thing about solenoids is that one part may fit multiple makes model years

·
Registered
15 Posts
Luckily, I was able to find this video that gave the answer. My son told me that I should join so that I can post the answer for you as a public service, so here it is.
Thanks a lot for this public service, I still haven't gotten around to do this, this for sure has saved the clip from being broken into several pieces and cleared any doubt I had about the connection.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks a lot for this public service, I still haven't gotten around to do this, this for sure has saved the clip from being broken into several pieces and cleared any doubt I had about the connection.
Glad this will help you. It took a lot of screen expansion and screen brightening to see what the heck this guy was doing to that solenoid. While the solenoid is supposed to read around 12 ohms, the one I pulled out was 80 ohms. I got the one off Amazon for around $165, hopefully it is all that was wrong. It turns out that the torque converter clutch solenoid needs the torque converter lock-up solenoid energized before the clutch solenoid can be pulsed. I also changed the torque converter as part of this job. I just got around 8-9 quarts into the system after a startup to fill the torque converter, but had to shut down for the night. I had the engine out so I also need to burp the cooling system before the transmission work can be finalized.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Glad this will help you. It took a lot of screen expansion and screen brightening to see what the heck this guy was doing to that solenoid. While the solenoid is supposed to read around 12 ohms, the one I pulled out was 80 ohms. I got the one off Amazon for around $165, hopefully it is all that was wrong. It turns out that the torque converter clutch solenoid needs the torque converter lock-up solenoid energized before the clutch solenoid can be pulsed. I also changed the torque converter as part of this job. I just got around 8-9 quarts into the system after a startup to fill the torque converter, but had to shut down for the night. I had the engine out so I also need to burp the cooling system before the transmission work can be finalized.
Please do report on how it all goes, I am hoping just to do the solenoid and oil. hopefully that fixes that, I don't want to have to pull the motor or trans for anything. After this I want to change the timing belt with the kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the CVT relearn procedure have to be done as shown in the video about replacing the entire control valve body when just a solenoid is replaced? If so, does this force a trip to the dealer since it appears that requires proprietary Subaru software

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks much to this forum!!
Was able to fix my converter lockup duty solenoid, P2764, with info received here. Learned a bit along the way. Hope it helps.
2013 Outback with TR580. Valve body on top with 6 solenoids. Wire colors and pinouts, at the trans. gray connector, were inconsistent with data I found.
Starting at the TCM, I found pinouts and wire colors spot on with schematics from this forum, traced em' out to the gray connector and thru to the solenoids, changed colors 3 times. LUDuty sol. was 2 ohms thru the gray connector, later found the windings were shorted to the body of the solenoid.
Solenoid from Amazon Koauto, several weeks to arrive. China part,fyi, working as designed. Pics along the way, wire color changes on each side of gray connector and again at valve body connector. Bolts to loosen. O-rings to watch. TCM connector with wire colors matching schematics. Solenoid terminal cover. Relearn was accomplished thru daily driving, not textbook, but it worked.
IMG_4151.JPG
IMG_4152.JPG
IMG_4157.JPG
IMG_4235.JPG
IMG_4092.JPG
IMG_4095.JPG

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
10,853 Posts
I still have one salvage solenoid from the valve body I demonstrated in the video if anyone wants it I'll send for free.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts