Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 outback 2.5 cvt trans with 94k to be exact. Driven in Denver stop and go mostly*** I am concerned if doing a complete cvt flush service would do more harm than good and could use some reassurance. I am likely over thinking this but I know how expensive these trans can be and I scur. Thanks for any help in advance!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,358 Posts
do it, time is ticking, this is not a 1987 chrysler lebaron, with 200,000 miles and the original fluid (turned to goop) is holding the seals shut, while you add some to make the stick look wet.

and you are in this club:

so get er done. ... others that have had the fluid swapped around now have reported it looking pretty terrible.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited
544 Posts
With the CVT you do not face the same maintenance induced failures as changing extremely worn fluid in a traditional auto trans. IMHO changing the fluid at 100K (or more) is not a concern... not changing the fluid should concern you. If it were mine I would get a simple drain & fill. Then get another drain & fill in 30K miles.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,162 Posts
I recommend to owners to change the fluid out every 60k miles. A simple drain and fill is all that is necessary. It will take about 5.5 quarts to refill it. You will need a transfer pump, 10 or 12 mm allen socket (one of these) and Subaru CVTF-II fluid. Runs about $13-15 at Subaru parts.

Drain it from the plug at the back of the trans, driver side (left); tighten the drain plug; pull the fill plug which is a few inches above the drain and fill until it starts to flow out the hole; put the fill plug in finger tight (you'll be pulling it out again); start the car and let it warm up for about 5 minutes then get back under the car and pull the fill plug out while the engine is running and add fluid until it starts to run out the fill hole again; replace and tighten the fill plug. Your done.

If you do not want to do it yourself, DO NOT go to a quick oil change place to have it done. Go to Subaru or a shop that will actually put Subaru fluid in the CVT. Aftermarket and Universal crap will F-it up.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,799 Posts
Yea go for it.

Subaru recommends somewhere between 25k and never for fluid changes so I started doing 50k.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Auto
397 Posts
Drain it from the plug at the back of the trans, driver side (left); tighten the drain plug; pull the fill plug which is a few inches above the drain and fill until it starts to flow out the hole; put the fill plug in finger tight (you'll be pulling it out again); start the car and let it warm up for about 5 minutes then get back under the car and pull the fill plug out while the engine is running and add fluid until it starts to run out the fill hole again; replace and tighten the fill plug. Your done.
Should you pull (or at least loosen) the fill plug before the drain plug, just to make sure that it'll move? Or is that so much less of a concern on these younger cars than for the rear diff on a Gen 3 era car?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
515 Posts
I had mine flushed at the dealer at 90K. I figured if there was going to be a problem it would show up before the warranty expired at 100K. At 94K now and no problem so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feed back guys. I am in Denver so have lots of independent Subaru shops available but still debating on going with a dealer for an extra $100.00. I would normally do this myself but have been traveling so DIY is not an option. *dyqik, definitely ensure you can loosen fill first as getting the fill plug out of my front diff was extremely tough.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts