Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CVT temperature readout which is best way to monitor live data?

SacanGauge II + X-Gauge

OBDLink MX

UltraGauge

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,822 Posts
CVT temperature readout which is best way to monitor live data?
I like the UltraGauge for most things, but it won't monitor CVT fluid temperature.

I setup I currently use is an OBDLink LX OBD-to-Bluetooth adapter and a smart phone. For Android phones, the free ActiveOBD app will display CVTF temperature, but my current favorite software is the Torque Pro app (paid) combined with the ActiveOBD plug-in (paid). Total cost for both apps is less than $15.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,857 Posts
Since I don't want to be messing with a phone all the time I prefer something with a dedicated display like the ScanGauge II that is always in place and comes on instantly every time I start the car. I kind of like the look of the display of the UltraGauge but if ammcinnis is correct that it doesn't monitor cvt temp that would be out.

Sometimes I wish the ScanGauge could display more than four items at a time but it is really all that I need and any more might just make it too cluttered anyway.

I've also used the Torque Pro setup with one of my old phones and the display looked pretty cool with the analog-style gauges, but I didn't want to have to turn it on every time.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.

Just ordered a ScanGauge II.
I currently have. Bluetooth OBDII I use with my iPhone and OBDFusion but I agree I like the idea of an always on display.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I am biased toward my scan gauge but probably mostly because I bought it 12 years ago and it still works fine.
I bought my first Scangauge 12 years ago as well. The firmware in that one was too old for some of the X-gauges for the Subaru to work. I bought a newer one for the Outback but I guess the older ones can be sent in and they will update it for around $25. I didn't want to wait for the turnaround so I bought a new one. Since then I have used the old one in a couple of other vehicles and the backlight has also stopped working but otherwise it works well. I think I may try sending that one in and see how it goes. It has been a while since I first looked but I think they repair any other issues as well as update it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
190 Posts
I also have a scangauge. Recommend it. I placed it down on top of the open cubby lid. It’s out of the way and I can monitor my CVT temp.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
Dumb question: What is the purpose of monitoring your CVT temperature? You need a gas gauge so you dont run out of gas, you need a tach so you dont redline your engine. The gauges serve as a warning to take corrective action. If the CVT is running too hot or too cold, what are you supposed to do about it?

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Limited Titanium
411 Posts
I find it’s good to monitor CVT/oil/coolant temps when driving off road and tires are aired down. I drive over sand in summer and this is deep sugar sand and things do run hotter. These are all good product suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also have a scangauge. Recommend it. I placed it down on top of the open cubby lid. It’s out of the way and I can monitor my CVT temp.
Dumb question: What is the purpose of monitoring your CVT temperature? You need a gas gauge so you dont run out of gas, you need a tach so you dont redline your engine. The gauges serve as a warning to take corrective action. If the CVT is running too hot or too cold, what are you supposed to do about it?
If you don’t know you dont need it 😉

·
Registered
2018 OB Limited 3.6R
201 Posts
Glad to see this post and topic. I'd like to monitor CVT temp as well. I'm finding that when the car has to idle for longer periods in hot weather is when the rubber banding of the CVT is at its worst. I'm assuming it is related to elevated CVT temp but want to measure and verify.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it and I can confirm it works.
Used an AutoZone online coupon and got it for under $130 delivered.

With that said they shipped me a two year old device with firmware version 4.22 instead of curr version 4.53. They were useless as neither online nor local stor had any clue how old inventory was. Then people wonder why retailers are dying.

However, ScanGauge customer service is excellent and stepped Up. They immediately shipled a new unit with 4.53 firmware and a return envelope. 👍🏻

I’ll be mounting it over my mirror on BlendMount bracket.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This thing is fantastic! I was able to get CVT and OIL temperatures plus, it even matches blue on
gauges.

F07F9FB8-B6D4-4CE4-9276-39CA5162D8D2.jpeg

It’s late and I’m curious but do t feel like scouring the forum.
What do these other X-Gauge PIDs do? Why should I care? Any other PIDs out there Not listed on ScanGauge‘s site?

Actual Gear Ratio
Target Gear Ratio
Secondary Pulley Speed
Primary Pulley Speed
Lock Up Duty Ratio
Transfer Duty Ratio
Turbine Revolution Speed

Reactions: Lucky-JJ

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
What do these other X-Gauge PIDs do? Why should I care? Any other PIDs out there Not listed on ScanGauge‘s site?

» X-Gauge Categories » 2013+ Subaru Outback with CVT
Actual Gear Ratio
Target Gear Ratio
Secondary Pulley Speed
Primary Pulley Speed
Lock Up Duty Ratio
Transfer Duty Ratio
Turbine Revolution Speed
Good to know that ScanGauge has these CVT transmission PIDs. But they are mainly of academic interest unless concerned about how the transmission is working, i.e., if a problem is suspected; e.g., questions such as do the Actual and Target Gear Ratios match, is the AWD Transfer Duty Ratio responding to driving conditions, or is the torque converter clutch locking to match engine RPM to Turbine Revolution Speed?

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
493 Posts
This thing is fantastic! I was able to get CVT and OIL temperatures plus, it even matches blue on
gauges.
Does the display washout in sunlight? My scangauge is probably 10 yrs old but has always been difficult to read unless in a shadow.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope. Actually it’s too bright I use the low light setting. Also, I have mounted over my mirror so not much glare.

Reactions: AbsoluteZero

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
493 Posts
Sounds like the issue was been addressed. When I bought the scangauge, display brightness in sunlight was one of the negative issues frequently discussed. Thx

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I like the look of the blue setting but I was disappointed that for my eyes it was too hard to read the numbers. I'm sure that is related to how the colors register for me with color-blind issues.

I've never had a problem seeing the display on my Scangauge in the sun, but with mine mounted on the dash sometimes the background will be a bit darker than normal when the sun has been beating down on it while parked. It has always gone back to normal once I start driving. The backlight stopped working on my first Scangauge and I can't see that one at all in the dark, but still looks okay in daylight. Having it sitting in the sun probably doesn't do it any good but I've tried different locations in different vehicles and I always end up with it in about the same location where I can easily glance at it without having to look up or down while I am driving.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts