Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 124 Posts

Β·
Master Caster
πŸ–€πŸ’”πŸ’™ 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was inevitable. tdck has developed CVT transmission mount inserts. There have been several threads in the past month which have identified the need to develop a reinforcement, performance insert for the CVT mount.

Pictures are pending...molds are still being cast. I will also provide fitment lists. However, as we stand now for mounts...

41022FJ000
41022AL04A

These both have the same insert, they seem to be dimensionally the exact same mount. I am not sure why Subaru lists them as different numbers. Oddly one costs $72.00 the other $32.00 out of the dealer. For nearly $100 I am all in on the (2).

41022AL03A has a different insert. The mount is basically smaller.

Pics and fit lists to follow.

Β·
Master Caster
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the insert for part numbers ...

41022FJ000
41022AL04A

It is quite a but larger than the 4/5EAT insert. The mounts are larger. Anyway see the pics and the fitment list...

So far I just have black. I am taking requests for color, I may just stay with black or dark grey. If any of you have strong feeling on color, speak up in the next few days.

These are currently, NOW for sale through me.

$29.00 shipped ( for members in the Contiential USA, I can make arrangements to ship anywhere, world wide) just email me at [email protected] or PayPal to [email protected] Ebay links to follow ...

Attachments

Β·
Master Caster
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the insert for ...

41022AL03A

It is roughly the same size as the 4/5EAT insert. Its a different shape though. Anyway see the pics and the fitment list...

So far I just have black. this is the medium hardness. I am taking requests for color, I may just stay with black or dark grey. If any of you have strong feeling on color, speak up in the next few days.

These are currently, NOW for sale through me.

$29.00 shipped

( for members in the Contiential USA, I can make arrangements to ship anywhere, world wide) just email me at [email protected] or PayPal to [email protected]

Ebay links to follow ...

Attachments

Β·
Master Caster
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Loaded Mounts with Inserts

I have decided I am going to sell (2) out of the (3) CVT mounts with the inserts ... inserted.

I am looking at $85 for the 41022FJ000 the mount cost me $60 (my price at Mike Shaw

$50 for the 41022AL03A the other one is going back, I didn't open it, I just confirmed fitment.

Β·
Master Caster
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Joke is on Me.

it turnes out the very same 4/5EAT inserst fit in the very 1st CVT mount. Fitment confirmed...

I cut the "stop" flanges off the 4/5EAT insert so the fitment is better confirmened. Without question.

I am such a boob ( . )( . ) not to have checked....For all these years...I'm gonna strap this mount into Cherry as is, see what happens.

Attachments

Β·
Registered
3,132 Posts
What would the purpose of upgrading the CVT mount be? How does it affect performance?

Β·
Master Caster
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What would the purpose of upgrading the CVT mount be? How does it affect performance?
1st off, it helps prevent mount breakage...It's happened with members here, and I have seen it with the 5EAT.

From performance standpoint? It takes away driveline lash. (movement) For many, unwanted movement. When you stomp on the throttle, the whole drivetrain shifts. The motor and transmission try to lift. The pitch stop and motor mounts are supposed to control the motor. The transmission mount, the transmission, and the rear differential and cradle take care of the rear connection.

The CVT gets max torque right away. (or tries to) There is an elastic moment of force which stresses the mount every time you take off from a stop. Further, while the CVT "fake shifts", mount stretches around. Also, when the torque converter locks and unlocks on the highway, there is also lash and wasted energy. In my turbos, this is the most annoying movement for me. The inserts in my car, quell that "shudder under my butt". I could never go back.

The insert helps to lock down this insert at the transmission. A weak or degraded mount will put further stress, primarily on the motor mounts. Changing motor mounts s*cks.

It's basically $30 insurance and a less sloppy center driveline. Performance upgrades for the like of WRX and STI are actually SOLID mounts. I have kept the durometer of these inserts to 75d ti ensure they don't add any NVH like a solid, hard mount would.

Hopefully this explanation helps.

Attachments

Β·
Master Caster
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lifted Applications and NVH

I had an email inquiry about the CVT transmission mount inserts. I was asked if the insert would cut down on the driveline vibration that some feel after installing a lift.

In short ... I don't know the answer to that question.

The main advantage of the insert is it controls the larger, more dramatic movement by making the mount more solid. However, by taking away some of the compliance, vibrations may transfer differently.

However, after the recent posting of CV shaft issues negatively affecting the mount, I can suppose the insert may help with this vibration from the lift. We really won't know until someone jumps in and can review. I don't have anyone here on the Front Range I know with a lifted rig, I can't test this theory on my own.

Β·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,109 Posts
I had an email inquiry about the CVT transmission mount inserts. I was asked if the insert would cut down on the driveline vibration that some feel after installing a lift.

In short ... I don't know the answer to that question.

The main advantage of the insert is it controls the larger, more dramatic movement by making the mount more solid. However, by taking away some of the compliance, vibrations may transfer differently.

However, after the recent posting of CV shaft issues negatively affecting the mount, I can suppose the insert may help with this vibration from the lift. We really won't know until someone jumps in and can review. I don't have anyone here on the Front Range I know with a lifted rig, I can't test this theory on my own.
and then there is @Brucey with his expensive lifted CVT thing with a H6 engine.

Β·
Master Caster
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and then there is @Brucey with his expensive lifted CVT thing with a H6 engine.
Are you saying I have "comp" @Brucey some more rubber ...."gratis"?

I think you might be on to something there. I think Brucey has "vibration" also.

Β·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,109 Posts
Are you saying I have "comp" @Brucey some more rubber ...."gratis"?

I think you might be on to something there. I think Brucey has "vibration" also.

@Brucey's car is worth like 40,000 bucks. what with the provenance of being his. when he trades it for a 2020 outback with a 2.4T, they will give him $2000 on top of the trade.

so why does it need free parts from CKE ?

Β·
Registered
2002 Jackstand Queen
241 Posts
Brucey's car needs more than mount inserts....needs a supercharger setup and a 5eat with a high stall converter.

Β·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,109 Posts
I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 16 seconds or less, I'm free.

]
is that a festiva turbo?

looks like a justy. :smile2: that has some pokey outback being used as a camera car.

edit: now I see from the side it is a ford festiva.

Reactions: bhazard

Β·
Registered
2002 Jackstand Queen
241 Posts
I never made it back before I exploded the trans. Drove it around most of the summer and then one day decided to try 20 psi out.

But I had another a few years back that made a bit less power and managed a 12.50 at 110. This car was really janky and the clutch was not happy.

There's been a few in the 11's and there's currently one in Florida with a tube front end and 700+hp running 9's at 150+ mph.

Β·
Master Caster
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 124 Posts