Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited
16 Posts
What is the best CVT spacer kit to use with a 2” Ready Lift kit and where is the best place to buy one?

·
Registered
2019 OB 2.5i Limited
84 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,590 Posts
@traildogck

Met a guy this weekend who had one of your inserts (bought from ADF) and felt good to know the pile of them I have in the garage helped tune them.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
@traildogck

Met a guy this weekend who had one of your inserts (bought from ADF) and felt good to know the pile of them I have in the garage helped tune them.
You were the key catalyst, and critical test mule for R&D.

Without @Brucey there would be no CVT inserts.

:6:

I am super thankful for my ADF also. The exposure through there has keep my busy. I just got home from my regular work. I am pouring a round of inserts. Then on to some CKE RSBRB is HD steel for someone of the LGT forum.

Then maybe get back to Cherry's motor replacement later this evening.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
What is the best CVT spacer kit to use with a 2” Ready Lift kit and where is the best place to buy one?
I am not sure how to answer that. If you are looking for the CVT INSERTS they can be had here on fleeBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173905098632

https://www.ebay.com/itm/173905099078

Or as said here, email me.

CKE Performance Products information and sales : [email protected]
Or they can be had off of ADF's website.

As far as spacers go. There are no CVT "spacers". I think Primitive makes a transmission crossmember spacer (I think), ADF makes a carrier bearing spacer. Some day I will get my driveline correction kit put together. But like I've said before, I need a few clones.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,590 Posts
You were the key catalyst, and critical test mule for R&D.

Without @Brucey there would be no CVT inserts.

:6:

I am super thankful for my ADF also. The exposure through there has keep my busy. I just got home from my regular work. I am pouring a round of inserts. Then on to some CKE RSBRB is HD steel for someone of the LGT forum.

Then maybe get back to Cherry's motor replacement later this evening.
I'm so glad you finally decided to go with an LS Swap.

>:)

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
I'm so glad you finally decided to go with an LS Swap.

>:)

:xnuts: :headslap: :twak:

It might not be easier, but probably more reliable.

:21:

But there is only a RWD option, with the LS option. Even though my girls might stay on the pavement all the time, I still need AWD.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,590 Posts
:xnuts: :headslap: :twak:

It might not be easier, but probably more reliable.

:21:

But there is only a RWD option, with the LS option. Even though my girls might stay on the pavement all the time, I still need AWD.
I thought that's why you were doing hub motors for the front?

·
Registered
2016 2.5 Outback Premium
134 Posts

Installed dropper. Will be going to work soon so I will test it out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for this pic. I got under the car and was wondering for sure how this gets installed. After looking at it now I realize there is only one way that I would work anyways.

·
Registered
2016 2.5 Outback Premium
134 Posts
Installed the spacer and the insert from ADF today. Definitely helped with the wobble about 90% better.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I installed my insert back in March 2019. Not sure what the stiffness is, eBay didn't have the option to choose.

Anyways I had an issue with this speed bump where I work that would make the CVT jerk/rattle/shutter after driving over. Dealer says everything was working as normal. Installed the insert, the speed bump jerk/rattle/shutter went away...but then I had to deal with CVT vibration at 1100 rpm, 2900rpm, and redline. Everything the CVT did was transferred into the steering wheel and seat. Took the insert out today and car drives way smoother.

Again, not sure what stiffness I got but Im thinking it's either 60 or 65 since the higher numbers were discontinued as stated earlier in this thread.

I might shave the insert down when I get a chance and maybe drill a few holes into it and try it again. From a performance standpoint I don't think there's much other than making the CVT shift points more apparent.
I installed the insert and had similar issue with 04Limited (I had insert with S for 60D). The vibration and noise at the stated RPMs overtime do get to be too much. I think partly because 18-19 MYs are quieter. Without the insert, I notice driveline slash/wobble at lower speed and vibrations @>75-80mph. I'm lowered by 1inch and tried to install the ADF insert but I could not put the heat shield back on. Also, the drive shaft with the ADF spacer is really close to the subframe/body. I don't want to damage the shaft since it's $$$$. Anyone else tried it with stock or lowered suspension?

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I think everyone's experience can be different based on sensitivity.

Lowered
Let's talk about this. What ADF insert? Is this a CKE cvt insert sold through ADF? Or, do you mean the ADF driveshaft carrier bearing spacer? To be clear ... (and if I seem like I gave misleading advice to anyone) The ADF driveshaft carrier bearing spacer only work for a lifted car. It will only be a determent to a lowered or stock height car. The ADF carrier drop is for rear subframe lifted rigs ONLY.

To be clear. I produce 60, 75, & 85. But trust me, the harder the insert, the more transfer.

There is always a CV axle component to consider. Regardless of stock height, lift, or lowered.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think everyone's experience can be different based on sensitivity.

Lowered
Let's talk about this. What ADF insert? Is this a CKE cvt insert sold through ADF? Or, do you mean the ADF driveshaft carrier bearing spacer? To be clear ... (and if I seem like I gave misleading advice to anyone) The ADF driveshaft carrier bearing spacer only work for a lifted car. It will only be a determent to a lowered or stock height car. The ADF carrier drop is for rear subframe lifted rigs ONLY.

To be clear. I produce 60, 75, & 85. But trust me, the harder the insert, the more transfer.

There is always a CV axle component to consider. Regardless of stock height, lift, or lowered.
Sorry for the confusion. I mean the adf carrier spacer. Not the insert. I got the insert kit directly from you a while ago. Yes, I like the response with the insert but the NVH trade off is not good enough to keep it on :(. Your suggestions were clear so nothing went amiss there. Just me trying to fiddle with stuff.
Also, I am quite sensitive to NVH. its like a curse sometimes.
This is after 2nd try. I am thinking of getting XRT tune next year and maybe fiddle with the insert again.
I also checked with the dealer and drove around with a tech. No CV issues.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
@supercow2610

The more I think about your situation, the more questions I have, we may have covered some of them in the past. I deal with a huge amount of email correspondence. Ebay sales are pretty easy. Direct inquiries usually average 8-10 emails before there is a decision is made. So my memory is challenged.

The CVT mount insert, the primary success has been for users who are experiencing a low speed "wobble" or "lash" or "slop". Without any of those pre-existing issues, there isn't any benefit utilizing the insert.

I am also very sensitive to NVH, chassis and suspension changes. Historically, I say no benefit in developing a CVT insert when the CVT was introduced. I saw a constant, optimal held RPM as a vibration generator. And since the early CVTs did not have fake shift points, I didn't see a need.

However, it was the lifted community that forced my hand to develop a CVT mount insert which has been very helpful for the lifted community. Models beyond the OB, Fozzy and Crosstreks also. But, a LOWERED application could be introducing a new variable. With lowering, Driveshaft/pinion angles do not change. So the only vibration could come from front CV axles.

With all that said, with a lowered, 3.6R cvt equipped OB, there may only be a negative effect from the insert. I can say the insert was never tested in your specific application. In hindsight, I suppose it has been tested, by you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
@supercow2610

The more I think about your situation, the more questions I have, we may have covered some of them in the past. I deal with a huge amount of email correspondence. Ebay sales are pretty easy. Direct inquiries usually average 8-10 emails before there is a decision is made. So my memory is challenged.

The CVT mount insert, the primary success has been for users who are experiencing a low speed "wobble" or "lash" or "slop". Without any of those pre-existing issues, there isn't any benefit utilizing the insert.

I am also very sensitive to NVH, chassis and suspension changes. Historically, I say no benefit in developing a CVT insert when the CVT was introduced. I saw a constant, optimal held RPM as a vibration generator. And since the early CVTs did not have fake shift points, I didn't see a need.

However, it was the lifted community that forced my hand to develop a CVT mount insert which has been very helpful for the lifted community. Models beyond the OB, Fozzy and Crosstreks also. But, a LOWERED application could be introducing a new variable. With lowering, Driveshaft/pinion angles do not change. So the only vibration could come from front CV axles.

With all that said, with a lowered, 3.6R cvt equipped OB, there may only be a negative effect from the insert. I can say the insert was never tested in your specific application. In hindsight, I suppose it has been tested, by you.
That's good to know. Glad I could test this out for potential lowered crowds. I think the majority of the slop or slash is d/t the cvt programming. When I first do the battery reset, the cvt feels crisps and always wants to pull. After few days of 'learning', the cvt is a slop fest at times. Worst in low speed or traffic. I think for my case, the solution is XRT tune which hopefully get rid of the factory indicisive programming.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6r white
65 Posts
1st off, it helps prevent mount breakage...It's happened with members here, and I have seen it with the 5EAT.

From performance standpoint? It takes away driveline lash. (movement) For many, unwanted movement. When you stomp on the throttle, the whole drivetrain shifts. The motor and transmission try to lift. The pitch stop and motor mounts are supposed to control the motor. The transmission mount, the transmission, and the rear differential and cradle take care of the rear connection.

The CVT gets max torque right away. (or tries to) There is an elastic moment of force which stresses the mount every time you take off from a stop. Further, while the CVT "fake shifts", mount stretches around. Also, when the torque converter locks and unlocks on the highway, there is also lash and wasted energy. In my turbos, this is the most annoying movement for me. The inserts in my car, quell that "shudder under my butt". I could never go back.

The insert helps to lock down this insert at the transmission. A weak or degraded mount will put further stress, primarily on the motor mounts. Changing motor mounts s*cks.

It's basically $30 insurance and a less sloppy center driveline. Performance upgrades for the like of WRX and STI are actually SOLID mounts. I have kept the durometer of these inserts to 75d ti ensure they don't add any NVH like a solid, hard mount would.

Hopefully this explanation helps.
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but is this driveline movement/lash an inherently poor design? Have never felt it driving any other vehicle (that I know of...).

·
Registered
2015 Subaru Outback 3.6r w/ ES 2" Lift, Skid plates, Bumper Guard, Hitchgate Solo, JDM Wheel Arc
15 Posts
Going to bring a little lift to this thread. Just got my CVT insert installed and it absolutely corrected my 20mph shudder. Also have the center bearing drop spacers installed.
Glad to hear a current opinion. I just completed my setup and started noticing the shudder when accelerating off a turn or stop. Just placed the order and will get it installed ASAP!

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 · (Edited)
FYI

Since the pandemic. Manufacturing and fabrication is hardest hit with delays and cost increases. Raw material supply chains have been severely impacted by both lead times and costs. Metals (aluminum, steel and stainless) have doubled. Urethane and rubber $$$ are volatile due to East Coast winter weather and Texas (just Texas, evidently ... many chemicals come from Texas) 15%-35% increase.

Rest assured, CKE is not passing on increased costs to our enthusiast community. I havea "freeze" on all CKE customer prices, on all products.

Which includes all inserts currently at $45.

·
Master Caster
🖤💔💙 3 Beautiful OBXTs
16,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 · (Edited)
Folks,

I have some disheartening news. The is a severe urethane shortage in North America due mainly to the past weather events in TX. There is a global shortage due to the pandemic and the impact on China. I can't source any new raw materials and as of now, I can't be told when I will see new supply. What does that mean? The stock CKE and ADF currently holds, is all we are going to have until I can source new material. Or I can further develop the 3D printed version of this product.

I'm not trying to cause a panic, or drum up business (as some trolls may claim), but when they are sold out, they are sold out. CKE and ADF make out the same either way. Anyone on the fence or anyone with build plans as far out as this summer might consider jumping off that fence. I myself am currently hosed on several critical build parts for my cars. I have been waiting since October of last year for some, which I feel may never come back.

I have been struggling with supply all year, hopefully this shortage is not a long lived.

101 - 120 of 124 Posts