Subaru Outback Forums banner
121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,760 Posts
Chris, you got anything for my '06 WRX? Always looking for ways to upgrade. If we meet-up next week, might buy my car a new part or 2. dunno what would be on the top of list.....

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have had the 60d (soft) CKE insert (purchased through ADF) installed for a month or so. There are two daily instances where I felt driveline lash before:
  • Reversing from my sloped driveway, at low RPM the car would jerk a bit engaging to back out. That is gone.
  • A level spot on my hill, after and before steep sections, where I remove my foot from the accelerator and the drivetrain jerks as it lowers the RPM. That is mostly gone.

However, I get pretty severe resonance at 1300-1350 RPM. I feel it mostly through my right elbow on the console arm rest. It sounds and feels like someone is using a polishing buffer under the car as I drive at that RPM.

This resonance is common and expected?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,369 Posts
I am an advocate of the super-soft (don't know the durometer) because if you don't have a lifted outback I found that it provides enough anti-lash to be appreciated with little to no risk of NVH or sympathetic vibration of any kind on my car.

Is it possible that your vibration is not because of the insert, or did it begin immediately after installation? It should be easy enough to remove it and see if the vibration goes away to be sure.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I did feel it immediately after install and I can recreate the increased vibration every time at that RPM.

When first driving I was feeling if the other shortcomings (listed above) were gone. But as I used the car I found this resonance every time I drove. If I can find time I might half-uninstall it and pay attention to torque on the re-install.

Any suggestions for torque values? Although, would the torque against the case affect the driveline itself or just continue to squish the insert?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,369 Posts
Wait, torque? Mine slid in without any disassembly.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,369 Posts
@Brucey has done a lot of insert installs and I think he has removed and re-assembled it the way you did - maybe he has some info?

Reactions: Peep6543

·
Registered
474 Posts
That is exactly what I did on the Gen6 platform. The heat sheild is slightly different but that's it. I am going to uninstall mine in the same fashion and drive for a bit without it. I'll report back any concrete differences.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,369 Posts
In my Gen6 car, the super-soft just slipped in with no tools. Fantastic.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts