Subaru Outback Forums banner

CVT transmission mount insert by CKE SSP

85K views 149 replies 35 participants last post by  traildogck 
#1 ·
It was inevitable. tdck has developed CVT transmission mount inserts. There have been several threads in the past month which have identified the need to develop a reinforcement, performance insert for the CVT mount.

Pictures are pending...molds are still being cast. I will also provide fitment lists. However, as we stand now for mounts...

41022FJ000
41022AL04A

These both have the same insert, they seem to be dimensionally the exact same mount. I am not sure why Subaru lists them as different numbers. Oddly one costs $72.00 the other $32.00 out of the dealer. For nearly $100 I am all in on the (2).

41022AL03A has a different insert. The mount is basically smaller.

Pics and fit lists to follow.

#94 ·
I installed my insert back in March 2019. Not sure what the stiffness is, eBay didn't have the option to choose.

Anyways I had an issue with this speed bump where I work that would make the CVT jerk/rattle/shutter after driving over. Dealer says everything was working as normal. Installed the insert, the speed bump jerk/rattle/shutter went away...but then I had to deal with CVT vibration at 1100 rpm, 2900rpm, and redline. Everything the CVT did was transferred into the steering wheel and seat. Took the insert out today and car drives way smoother.

Again, not sure what stiffness I got but Im thinking it's either 60 or 65 since the higher numbers were discontinued as stated earlier in this thread.

I might shave the insert down when I get a chance and maybe drill a few holes into it and try it again. From a performance standpoint I don't think there's much other than making the CVT shift points more apparent.

#111 ·
I installed my insert back in March 2019. Not sure what the stiffness is, eBay didn't have the option to choose.

Anyways I had an issue with this speed bump where I work that would make the CVT jerk/rattle/shutter after driving over. Dealer says everything was working as normal. Installed the insert, the speed bump jerk/rattle/shutter went away...but then I had to deal with CVT vibration at 1100 rpm, 2900rpm, and redline. Everything the CVT did was transferred into the steering wheel and seat. Took the insert out today and car drives way smoother.

Again, not sure what stiffness I got but Im thinking it's either 60 or 65 since the higher numbers were discontinued as stated earlier in this thread.

I might shave the insert down when I get a chance and maybe drill a few holes into it and try it again. From a performance standpoint I don't think there's much other than making the CVT shift points more apparent.
I installed the insert and had similar issue with 04Limited (I had insert with S for 60D). The vibration and noise at the stated RPMs overtime do get to be too much. I think partly because 18-19 MYs are quieter. Without the insert, I notice driveline slash/wobble at lower speed and vibrations @>75-80mph. I'm lowered by 1inch and tried to install the ADF insert but I could not put the heat shield back on. Also, the drive shaft with the ADF spacer is really close to the subframe/body. I don't want to damage the shaft since it's $$$$. Anyone else tried it with stock or lowered suspension?

#95 ·
I got my ADF 2.0/2.5" lift installed a week and a half ago (55k ODO) and just got the alignment done yesterday. I got the "wobble" at 20 mph. I must say, it is much more subtle than I thought it would be and I probably would not have noticed it right away without having read posts on his site. The CVT mount insert is just a preference thing, correct? In other words, no additional damage is likely to happen if I DON'T do the insert, aside from the additional wear from the lift itself. Is that correct?

Attachments

#96 ·
The CVT mount insert is just a preference thing, correct? In other words, no additional damage is likely to happen if I DON'T do the insert, aside from the additional wear from the lift itself. Is that correct?
I would say the above is an accurate statement. Some people are less sensitive to things than others. Things are subjective to individuals. Some folks are MORE sensitive to the other "vibs" get transferred after the insert.

The transmission mount itself will wear out faster, and the "wobble" make get worse over time without an insert. That's about all the harm related to the insert I can project.

Oh, BTW ... do you have the ADF carrier bearing spacer kit that ADF sells? The CB spacer helps with wobble also. If you already have that with your kit? Then maybe part of the "wobble" has already been removed.

#104 ·
You were the key catalyst, and critical test mule for R&D.

Without @Brucey there would be no CVT inserts.

:6:

I am super thankful for my ADF also. The exposure through there has keep my busy. I just got home from my regular work. I am pouring a round of inserts. Then on to some CKE RSBRB is HD steel for someone of the LGT forum.

Then maybe get back to Cherry's motor replacement later this evening.

#110 ·
Installed the spacer and the insert from ADF today. Definitely helped with the wobble about 90% better.

#112 ·
I think everyone's experience can be different based on sensitivity.

Lowered
Let's talk about this. What ADF insert? Is this a CKE cvt insert sold through ADF? Or, do you mean the ADF driveshaft carrier bearing spacer? To be clear ... (and if I seem like I gave misleading advice to anyone) The ADF driveshaft carrier bearing spacer only work for a lifted car. It will only be a determent to a lowered or stock height car. The ADF carrier drop is for rear subframe lifted rigs ONLY.

To be clear. I produce 60, 75, & 85. But trust me, the harder the insert, the more transfer.

There is always a CV axle component to consider. Regardless of stock height, lift, or lowered.

#113 ·
I think everyone's experience can be different based on sensitivity.

Lowered
Let's talk about this. What ADF insert? Is this a CKE cvt insert sold through ADF? Or, do you mean the ADF driveshaft carrier bearing spacer? To be clear ... (and if I seem like I gave misleading advice to anyone) The ADF driveshaft carrier bearing spacer only work for a lifted car. It will only be a determent to a lowered or stock height car. The ADF carrier drop is for rear subframe lifted rigs ONLY.

To be clear. I produce 60, 75, & 85. But trust me, the harder the insert, the more transfer.

There is always a CV axle component to consider. Regardless of stock height, lift, or lowered.
Sorry for the confusion. I mean the adf carrier spacer. Not the insert. I got the insert kit directly from you a while ago. Yes, I like the response with the insert but the NVH trade off is not good enough to keep it on :(. Your suggestions were clear so nothing went amiss there. Just me trying to fiddle with stuff.
Also, I am quite sensitive to NVH. its like a curse sometimes.
This is after 2nd try. I am thinking of getting XRT tune next year and maybe fiddle with the insert again.
I also checked with the dealer and drove around with a tech. No CV issues.

#114 ·
@supercow2610

The more I think about your situation, the more questions I have, we may have covered some of them in the past. I deal with a huge amount of email correspondence. Ebay sales are pretty easy. Direct inquiries usually average 8-10 emails before there is a decision is made. So my memory is challenged.

The CVT mount insert, the primary success has been for users who are experiencing a low speed "wobble" or "lash" or "slop". Without any of those pre-existing issues, there isn't any benefit utilizing the insert.

I am also very sensitive to NVH, chassis and suspension changes. Historically, I say no benefit in developing a CVT insert when the CVT was introduced. I saw a constant, optimal held RPM as a vibration generator. And since the early CVTs did not have fake shift points, I didn't see a need.

However, it was the lifted community that forced my hand to develop a CVT mount insert which has been very helpful for the lifted community. Models beyond the OB, Fozzy and Crosstreks also. But, a LOWERED application could be introducing a new variable. With lowering, Driveshaft/pinion angles do not change. So the only vibration could come from front CV axles.

With all that said, with a lowered, 3.6R cvt equipped OB, there may only be a negative effect from the insert. I can say the insert was never tested in your specific application. In hindsight, I suppose it has been tested, by you.

#115 ·
@supercow2610

The more I think about your situation, the more questions I have, we may have covered some of them in the past. I deal with a huge amount of email correspondence. Ebay sales are pretty easy. Direct inquiries usually average 8-10 emails before there is a decision is made. So my memory is challenged.

The CVT mount insert, the primary success has been for users who are experiencing a low speed "wobble" or "lash" or "slop". Without any of those pre-existing issues, there isn't any benefit utilizing the insert.

I am also very sensitive to NVH, chassis and suspension changes. Historically, I say no benefit in developing a CVT insert when the CVT was introduced. I saw a constant, optimal held RPM as a vibration generator. And since the early CVTs did not have fake shift points, I didn't see a need.

However, it was the lifted community that forced my hand to develop a CVT mount insert which has been very helpful for the lifted community. Models beyond the OB, Fozzy and Crosstreks also. But, a LOWERED application could be introducing a new variable. With lowering, Driveshaft/pinion angles do not change. So the only vibration could come from front CV axles.

With all that said, with a lowered, 3.6R cvt equipped OB, there may only be a negative effect from the insert. I can say the insert was never tested in your specific application. In hindsight, I suppose it has been tested, by you.
That's good to know. Glad I could test this out for potential lowered crowds. I think the majority of the slop or slash is d/t the cvt programming. When I first do the battery reset, the cvt feels crisps and always wants to pull. After few days of 'learning', the cvt is a slop fest at times. Worst in low speed or traffic. I think for my case, the solution is XRT tune which hopefully get rid of the factory indicisive programming.

#118 · (Edited)
Glad to hear a current opinion. I just completed my setup and started noticing the shudder when accelerating off a turn or stop. Just placed the order and will get it installed ASAP!

#119 · (Edited)
FYI

Since the pandemic. Manufacturing and fabrication is hardest hit with delays and cost increases. Raw material supply chains have been severely impacted by both lead times and costs. Metals (aluminum, steel and stainless) have doubled. Urethane and rubber $$$ are volatile due to East Coast winter weather and Texas (just Texas, evidently ... many chemicals come from Texas) 15%-35% increase.

Rest assured, CKE is not passing on increased costs to our enthusiast community. I havea "freeze" on all CKE customer prices, on all products.

Which includes all inserts currently at $45.

#120 · (Edited)
Folks,

I have some disheartening news. The is a severe urethane shortage in North America due mainly to the past weather events in TX. There is a global shortage due to the pandemic and the impact on China. I can't source any new raw materials and as of now, I can't be told when I will see new supply. What does that mean? The stock CKE and ADF currently holds, is all we are going to have until I can source new material. Or I can further develop the 3D printed version of this product.

I'm not trying to cause a panic, or drum up business (as some trolls may claim), but when they are sold out, they are sold out. CKE and ADF make out the same either way. Anyone on the fence or anyone with build plans as far out as this summer might consider jumping off that fence. I myself am currently hosed on several critical build parts for my cars. I have been waiting since October of last year for some, which I feel may never come back.

I have been struggling with supply all year, hopefully this shortage is not a long lived.

#125 ·
I have had the 60d (soft) CKE insert (purchased through ADF) installed for a month or so. There are two daily instances where I felt driveline lash before:
  • Reversing from my sloped driveway, at low RPM the car would jerk a bit engaging to back out. That is gone.
  • A level spot on my hill, after and before steep sections, where I remove my foot from the accelerator and the drivetrain jerks as it lowers the RPM. That is mostly gone.

However, I get pretty severe resonance at 1300-1350 RPM. I feel it mostly through my right elbow on the console arm rest. It sounds and feels like someone is using a polishing buffer under the car as I drive at that RPM.

This resonance is common and expected?

#126 ·
I am an advocate of the super-soft (don't know the durometer) because if you don't have a lifted outback I found that it provides enough anti-lash to be appreciated with little to no risk of NVH or sympathetic vibration of any kind on my car.

Is it possible that your vibration is not because of the insert, or did it begin immediately after installation? It should be easy enough to remove it and see if the vibration goes away to be sure.

#127 ·
I did feel it immediately after install and I can recreate the increased vibration every time at that RPM.

When first driving I was feeling if the other shortcomings (listed above) were gone. But as I used the car I found this resonance every time I drove. If I can find time I might half-uninstall it and pay attention to torque on the re-install.

Any suggestions for torque values? Although, would the torque against the case affect the driveline itself or just continue to squish the insert?

#130 ·
@Brucey has done a lot of insert installs and I think he has removed and re-assembled it the way you did - maybe he has some info?

Reactions: Peep6543
#135 ·
All

I am happy to announce that ADF (Anderson Design Fabrication) will now be handling their OWN production for the CKE inserts they sell. This passing of the torch has been a long time in the works. I am a one man band, I produce my products on my kitchen island. ADF has been a dealer for nearly the last 4 years. Sometimes it is difficult for me to keep up with their demand. We have been working for some time on a exit strategy for me.

I assure you all. The are the same quality product. The are made from the same urethane material in a similar environment. They are hand QC's and I have full confidence in the ADF produced inserts.

I will continue, of course, to produce my own inserts and I am hoping to actually launch a real, dedicated website in the next month or so. This site will host both transmission inserts and sway bar bushings.

#138 · (Edited)
No...Not currently, but maybe. I just made the decision to resign/retire from millwork project management as a full time career. I'll be 54 in less than 2 weeks and I live paycheck to paycheck

My regular employment keeps getting in the way of CKE. I repeatedly neglect my CKE work ( and customers) for my full time job. I have decided to go full-on CKE. I am not gonna be rich? No, by no means. But I am going to be full on CKE, and that is me and me only. Just like Ricky Bobby. I have also finally decided to chose a signature color for all of my future urethane products. British Racing Green, (deep shade) This color honors my father "Chuck". After all, he is the engineer to blame for my insanity. He introduced me to fine, fragile British sports cars. He has taught me much of what I know. He is still nearly a daily mentor.

Stay tuned peeps, things are happening with CKE now that have retired from the Front Range Rat Race.