Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,812 Posts
Has the CVT warranty been extended for the 2016 and 2017 OB? There is some discussion on other forums that letters are going out to the owners of 2016-17 Outback and Legacies that the warranty has been extended to 10 years or 100,000 miles. I have not received anything yet.

Mod edit: It also covers 2018. From this post:
In response to the forum members seeking an authoritative answer to the question does the TSB 16-117-18 apply to 2018 Subaru Outbacks? - the answer is YES.

Per a personal contact/inquiry with Subaru America Customer/Retailer Services Department, I received the following reply today, Oct 18, 2018:

"Re. Does CVT TSB 16-117-18 (dated 10/9/18) apply to 2018 Outbacks?

Yes, this TSB applies to the 2018 Outback models and the Powertrain Warranty is extended to 10 years/100,000 miles for CVT concerns.

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Sincerely,

Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Retailer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)"

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6r Limited w Eyesight, Nav
29 Posts
Hi RussellPat - Eight weeks ago, I bought a 2017 OB 3.6r limited Subaru certified corporate demo car with 9500 miles on it, and that car was delivered with an 8 year 100k warranty on the CVT. So I don't really know if this was because of an extension, or part of their "certified" used-car program, but the CVT warranty is from Subaru, not the dealer. I had asked about the CVT warranty when we bought the car, and would not have purchased if it had only been 5/60k standard warranty. This was not a problem - the car I ended up buying had the longer warranty as part of the deal already.

But if you currently have "only" the 5/60k warranty, then I'd keep looking for an extension.

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
522 Posts
If you are registered on MYSUBARU.COM there's a section called "service campaigns and recalls"... I'd assume a warrant extension would be listed as a service campaign. No CVT warranty extension was listed for my 2016

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are registered on MYSUBARU.COM there's a section called "service campaigns and recalls"... I'd assume a warrant extension would be listed as a service campaign. No CVT warranty extension was listed for my 2016
Same here. Nothing However this what I saw on a Forester page
Subaru of America has just issued TSB 16-115-18, dated 09/06/18, extending the CVT warranty coverage for 2016-2017 model years to 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, and until September 30, 2019 regardless of mileage.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,946 Posts
Has the CVT warranty been extended for the 2016 and 2017 OB?
I just checked the Subaru Technical Information System web site, and search indicates that TSB 16-115-18, CVT Warranty Extension (issued 6 Sep 2018) does indeed apply to MY 2016 and 2017 Outbacks. I wasn't able to access the TSB's contents, though.

If you are registered on MYSUBARU.COM there's a section called "service campaigns and recalls"... I'd assume a warrant extension would be listed as a service campaign.
Nope. "Campaigns" are only for mandatory recalls, usually safety related. Most non-critical issues are handled by Technical Service Bulletin.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Thanks for the correction. It would appear the only way a customer would know of the extended coverage would happen if an issue were to occur beyond the normal powertrain warranty period.

·
Premium Member
7,946 Posts
It would appear the only way a customer would know of the extended coverage would happen if an issue were to occur beyond the normal powertrain warranty period.
In the case of the previous CVT warranty extension (through MY 2015), Subaru mailed a notification letter to each owner of record of an affected vehicle. I expect that will happen here, too. The TSB provides primary (and persistent) notification to dealers, and it goes to reason that they would notify dealers first.

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
In the case of the previous CVT warranty extension (through MY 2015), Subaru mailed a notification letter to each owner of record of an affected vehicle. I expect that will happen here, too. The TSB provides primary (and persistent) notification to dealers, and it goes to reason that they would notify dealers first.
That's good. I probably should have been more specific. A second owner may not have the information passed on. (This is personal opinion) I'd think the MYSubaru site would be an appropriate way to have a more permanent information source of a warranty extension. I'm not saying don't send a letter but make extended warranty information available on a site that has much information on your vehicle. I understand it's premature since the information was announced a week ago. I suspect Subaru hasn't gotten the first batch of stamps licked for customer mailing.

10 years down the road there should be enough cores available and issues fixed to make a repair more economical. PLUS I'm presently covered 7 yrs with the Gold Plus service agreement. I have observed transmission fluid temperature spends a lot of time in the 185°-195° range. However I have no information on fluid properties so this may be perfectly OK.

·
Premium Member
7,946 Posts
Are there specific issues that precipitated this extension?
Lots of speculation here and elsewhere, but the true answer is that no one outside SOA knows.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are there specific issues that precipitated this extension? In other words, what should I be watching and listening for?
Not sure what else there might be but I believe a 'bump" feeling when stopped like you are tapped from behind could be one symptom. My dealer updated Transmission Control Module with TCM update PAK.30919AF47C to address the bump issue my wife noticed. Otherwise, my trany seemed fine.

Reactions: JustADude

·
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,231 Posts
I have the chirp often discussed here and this past weekend when changing my oil I noticed what might be weeping from the CVT. This might be the leaking pump cover but I'll make an appointment.

They won't find the chirp because it must be a cold start where the car goes into high idle but the weeping should be easy.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
My torque converter was replaced with the old warranty but that was a known-issue for the 2010-2012 model, I think.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I will be looking for a letter from Subaru extending my warranty. While I have the 7/70/zero extended warranty, this might encourage me to keep the car even longer than 7 years. :)

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium ; 2019 Outback Premium
130 Posts
I will be looking for a letter from Subaru extending my warranty. While I have the 7/70/zero extended warranty, this might encourage me to keep the car even longer than 7 years. :)
I received a letter from Subaru on Saturday that the CVT warranty was extended to 10/100 on my wife's 17 Legacy. I did not get a letter for my 16 Outback though :confused: Is this extension for all 2016-2017 Outback/Legacy or is it done by VIN?

Hopefully i get the letter for the Outback today.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
334 Posts
I just had my 17 OB in for service last Friday. I was advised by the service department that the CVT transmission warranty has been extended for my car. I had the 7 year 100k mile 0 deductible warranty so I was not very concerned. I may be dead by then anyway.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
My torque converter was replaced with the old warranty but that was a known-issue for the 2010-2012 model, I think.
I didn't think there were any repairs done on CVT's, only a factory refurb.
You’re correct to a point; originally when the CVT was new the engineers wanted to see what caused the failure so they were not serviceable at all! But as time went on they started doing valve body changes and as needed torque converter changes. I can guarantee you that they changed my torque converter.

Reactions: stfsubaru
1 - 20 of 253 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.