Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 429 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got a letter today for Subaru informing me that they are extending the power train warranty for my CVT (I have a 2015 Outback). Does this mean that there have been issues with this transmission, I mean they don't extend warranties for no reason?

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Interesting. I have seen any recall issues nor excessive complaints on this board. Perhaps I missed some.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I just received my letter and its for 2010-2015 Outbacks (along with other models). It makes me wonder now about the reliability of the transmissions. The newer model outbacks are not included so I can surmise that maybe it's to early to add those to a warranty extension or they have changed the transmission altogether to fix the problem where hopefully its a non issue going forward.

No one would know for sure, but I wonder if servicing the transmission at 60k with a fluid drain and fill would help or not. If done correctly it can't hurt, but does it help?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
There are far too many possibilities - I see no reason to deviate from the maintenance booklet unless Subaru says otherwise. If they thought a relatively inexpensive drain-and-fill would help, they would say so.

Anyway, nothing yet received here for the 2015 3.6R HT-CVT...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Whoa, what happened to Goldwing's thread? Good luck collecting on that one - although, now that the thread is gone...
Well, he said he went to the dealer. Seems to me their records would show low CVT fluid, added 6 qts.... And maybe overfilled engine. So yeah, good luck.

I wonder if Subaru Canada will also extend the warranty?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
No such letter for my '15 H6 yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
TSB 16-107-17 (issued June 29, 2017) -- CVT Warranty Extension
CVT Warranty Extension

In the interest of customer satisfaction, Subaru of America, Inc. (SOA) is extending the New Car Limited Powertrain Warranty coverage for the Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) on the above listed models and model years from the original five (5) years or sixty thousand (60,000) miles (whichever comes first) to ten (10) years or one-hundred thousand (100,000) miles (whichever comes first). This change is not in response to any specific condition, rather it is to provide customers with added assurance regarding the function and overall performance of their CVT. Additionally, vehicles which are more than ten (10) years old or beyond one-hundred thousand (100,000) miles at the time customer notification letters are mailed are being offered additional coverage for a period of one-year from the date of the customer notification letters. A copy of the customer letter is attached to this bulletin as reference.
16-107-17
This TSB appears to affect 2015 Legacys and Outbacks and both the TR580 and TR690 CVTs, but we don't know yet about other model years. The full TSB will include that information.

Edit:
APPLICABILITY:
2010-15 Legacy/ Outback 2.5L NA CVT
2015 Legacy/ Outback 3.6L NA CVT
2012-15 Impreza 2.0L NA CVT
2013-15 Crosstrek 2.0L NA CVT
2014-15 Crosstrek Hybrid CVT
2014-15 Forester 2.5L NA CVT
2014-15 Forester 2.0L Turbo CVT
2015 WRX 2.0L Turbo CVT

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
No such letter for my '15 H6 yet.
Doesn't matter - not needed, nor do you actually need the letter now that they're being sent out.

I actually knew about this last week, but since they didn't tell us we could say anything about it, I didn't until this news had already hit. All it boils down to is that Subaru is, literally because they want to, not because they have to, giving you another 5 years OR 40,000 miles of warranty on the CVT. (Original powertrain warranty was 5 years / 60,000 miles.)

There are no mandatory inspection to have it apply, and it covers all the car lines. It's applicable only if you actually HAVE a CVT issue, otherwise just drive on. AND it's also applicable to pre-owned cars - so that 15 Crosstrek with 28,000 miles on it I sold Friday will have it apply. (It covers all the product lines with our CVT in them - keep in mind we make our own transmissions.)

And no, I haven't heard of any major issues, to me it sounds like something we're just noticing. Sales volume is still going up, and rather than have an issue, we're trying to be preemptive just in case. Which is so Subaru.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Was there a mechanical change for the 2016 and forward CVT transmissions that makes them different or less problematic than the earlier transmissions? Just wondering... :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Was there a mechanical change for the 2016 and forward CVT transmissions that makes them different or less problematic than the earlier transmissions? Just wondering... :)
Change was between Gen 4 and Gen 5, so years 2015+ have same transmission. I don't think that this extension has anything to do with which actual CVT is in there... perhaps Subaru is hoping that some people with 2016+ might buy the extended warranty

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Change was between Gen 4 and Gen 5, so years 2015+ have same transmission. I don't think that this extension has anything to do with which actual CVT is in there... perhaps Subaru is hoping that some people with 2016+ might buy the extended warranty
Interesting marketing concept.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Oh my, Carl, are you sure I need to have a problem with my CVT to cash in on this windfall? ;)
Seriously though, is it not clear that we all understand how an extended warranty works? You have to admit, this is a curious development, so don't be surprised by all the speculation.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Subscribed, though at 5K miles/year, I might not live long enough to collect!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Subaru wouldn't randomly extend the warranty, of certain years, for no reason.

They have either noticed that people are dumping them around 60k miles, due to concerns of CVT longevity, or there's an actual issue that they wanted to be sure to have covered. Both are for the consumer's benefit, but I doubt it was a decision made without statistical reasoning of expense vs. lost sales.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
When a potential buyer hears that transmission problems beyond 36k are a $6-8k repair all or nothing - it's not a consideration to be taken lightly unless you were going to buy the extended warranty any way.

Manufacturers simply do not extend warranties on models no longer sold unless there is a problem. Classic it might be perceived brand value vs cost to replace but there is a cost they are trying to mitigate. Perhaps they see this as an incentive to move lease returns.

So the next question in my mind is why aren't the 2016s and 2017s with similar transmissions likewise covered? Are the transmissions the same?

And does this mean that SOA goodwill for premature granny death is over or reduced? If so I suspect a lot of people will dump the car at 100k which perhaps is what SOA intends us buyers to do.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
They have either noticed that people are dumping them around 60k miles, due to concerns of CVT longevity, or there's an actual issue that they wanted to be sure to have covered.
... or it could be that the Subaru CVTs have proven to be so reliable in the field that they calculate the marketing benefits of a 100,000 mile transmission warranty far exceed the incremental cost of a small increase in warranty claims. There are many possible explanations, and I'm sure the folks at Subaru thought long and hard about it.

1 - 20 of 429 Posts
About this Discussion
428 Replies
149 Participants
Dirkdaddy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing