Subaru Outback Forums banner

381 - 400 of 429 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Rub, I was right about the leak being from the pan gasket. You were spot on about the gasket sealers. They said the sealer was failing and they needed to reseal it with something else. It will be covered under the regular engine/drivetrain warranty.

Since it happened to yours (different repair) and other cars were recalled for similar issues (not the pan gasket), I think we can assume that a lot of Subarus are going to be leaking trans fluid from somewhere eventually.

Andy

All of them I suspect..

This may be part of the reason why Subaru announced a decrease in their forecast profits for the current year. IIRC, they are spending $500M or so to maintain quality compliance standards or for those of us who use small words, make sure it doesn't break and leaves right from the factory we don't have to go through this fiasco with our customers.

I think this is exactly why they have the 10/100 policy in place. They will all leak at some point.

·
Registered
307 Posts
All of them I suspect..

This may be part of the reason why Subaru announced a decrease in their forecast profits for the current year. IIRC, they are spending $500M or so to maintain quality compliance standards or for those of us who use small words, make sure it doesn't break and leaves right from the factory we don't have to go through this fiasco with our customers.

I think this is exactly why they have the 10/100 policy in place. They will all leak at some point.
Interesting regarding the profits. Yup, you're probably right. This must be the reason for the extension. Not only will they leak, it looks like they could leak from multiple locations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am at 77K miles on my 13 Legacy, going to swapping to Amsoil CVT fluid, not waiting on Subaru to do something or it break.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am at 77K miles on my 13 Legacy, going to swapping to Amsoil CVT fluid, not waiting on Subaru to do something or it break.
Is the Amsoil product made from something so different it won’t eat the sealant like the stock fluid? But not different enough that it still meets all the specifications?

And more importantly, is it the same color as the Subaru stuff so if the transmission does die the service department won’t know one ran a different fluid?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is the Amsoil product made from something so different it won’t eat the sealant like the stock fluid? But not different enough that it still meets all the specifications?

And more importantly, is it the same color as the Subaru stuff so if the transmission does die the service department won’t know one ran a different fluid?

I will be up front with you, Many people see the price from Amsoil and look else where. Problem is they buy from the wrong people and places. Also all the myths you might think or hear about a non OEM product is such BS.

Every fluid in every Subaru I have owned has been switched to Amsoil with in a week. Yes even the to Big no no of your supposed to use the OEM coolant. Such a joke when I hear people swear buy that stuff. My 04 STI, 09 FBO WRX, 08 Legacy, Current 06 Outback LTD, all have Amsoil fluids from front to back.

No it will not eat seals and break down items internally. My 06 Outback I bought with 162K miles 4 years ago and was a 1 owner car with every dealer service record. I switched it to Amsoil front to back the next weekend. No issues to cry about but your normal 211k miles one's lol.

I have know many CVT people switch to Amsoil and they say it stops the shutter, little jerks, smooths it out and runs great after the switch. I have have the car for only a little over a month so I have not switched it yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I will be up front with you, Many people see the price from Amsoil and look else where. Problem is they buy from the wrong people and places. Also all the myths you might think or hear about a non OEM product is such BS.
I ran Amsoil in a TDI Jetta - it was my first new car and I spent way too much time on forums and people there said it would prevent intake manifold clogging. Now (and then, even) I don’t keep cars long enough to reap the benefits of expensive oils. My skepticism comes from their marketing techniques. I think of them like Tupperware - very good products but very expensive because of the pyramid marketing structure they use to sell them. Kind of like Avon, but for men. And like the old telephone game, the more times information gets passed along, the further from the truth it becomes. Most of the Amsoil guys I bought from were nice old guys, but a couple apparently had delusions of juicy commissions (or living rooms full of unsold inventory) and tried to condition anyone who would listen to think their car would die immediately when the warranty expires if they don’t run “synthetic base stocks” from the moment they take ownership. I haven’t looked at the third-party test data in years, but Amsoil motor oil used to do well - along with some other high end synthetics. Now I just run whatever name brand is cheapest. If I was keeping a car to 300k I’d give Amsoil another look.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Extended warranty in Europe? in the UK? Australia?

So, we all know that USA and Canada costumers got their extended warranty letter. but what about us, living in Europe? what about you guys at the UK? at Australia??? why didn't i hear or find anything about this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I never heard of extended warranty on the CVT in Europe, are all gen 4 outback s and legacy build in the USA or do they produce them in Japan as well?

·
Super Moderator
25,190 Posts
I never heard of extended warranty on the CVT in Europe, are all gen 4 outback s and legacy build in the USA or do they produce them in Japan as well?
they are produced of japanese parts,

and assembled in Japan and in the USA with those parts.

so I would think you should have a CVT extended warranty in EU countries. but you may have to hunt for notifications locally in each country.

or it is something they are working with on a case by case basis on cars that fail before 160,000 km. (100,000 miles)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
If you're changing the OEM fluid out to Amsoil fluid, you probably have a good argument for Subaru not to warranty any CVT related repair under the extended warranty - or basic 5/60 warranty, either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As i had a transmission problem few months back and got it replaces, am qualified to answer this lol.

I wouldn't say a problem but a complaint, about the CVT extended recall and the Oil Consumption recall, they check your car if its faulty they would replace your transmission. But here is the catch, if you replaced your transmission before, you are only qualified for the reimbursement. they won't change it for you. Its assumed every transmission that is not replaced by Subaru dealership or not approved by Subaru is considered salvage. And they clearly state about that in the letters.

(p.s included more info than needed for future references of other people.)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've read everyones post. Quit a story. My turn:
Our daughters 2011 OB with 138,000 miles exhibits the slight flutter around 45 mph if gas pedal is gently touched. When she purchased the car from the original owner they said the CVT recall had already been performed. I shall register the car with Subaru of America to obtain service records. I wonder how long they warranty their warranty? Seems like the first course of action shall be to change CVT fluid. Do these transmission shed material during normal use?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I've read everyones post. Quit a story. My turn:
Our daughters 2011 OB with 138,000 miles exhibits the slight flutter around 45 mph if gas pedal is gently touched. When she purchased the car from the original owner they said the CVT recall had already been performed. I shall register the car with Subaru of America to obtain service records. I wonder how long they warranty their warranty? Seems like the first course of action shall be to change CVT fluid. Do these transmission shed material during normal use?
Depending on when it was done, one way to get an idea if the transmission was changed is to simply look at it. Is it significantly cleaner than the engine? If not, it possibly wasn't changed. Keep in mind, this is NOT a "recall", it is a service bulletin/warranty extension.

As for how long they warranty the repair - a major item like that is likely either until the original coverage is expired or whatever the major repair warranty is (some are 30 days, some 90, some are a year, some are "curb" [meaning the warranty is up when you cross the curb leaving the shop]).

·
Registered
3 Posts
they are produced of japanese parts,

and assembled in Japan and in the USA of those parts.

so I would think you should have a CVT extended warranty in EU countries. but you may have to hunt for notifications locally in each country.

or it is something they are working with on a case by case basis on cars that fail before 160,000 km. (100,000 miles)

I bought my European Subaru Outback 2015 through Danish dealer and I never got any letter regarding warranty extension.
Does anybody know if European models also got it? (I guess CVT is the same)

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI on 2013 getting a new transmission

Here's another example of a replaced transmission:

My 2013 outback lit up like a Christmas tree one October evening out of the blue, though it still drove fine (didn't try over 35 mph). Parts store runs error codes and it comes back with transmission codes. Took it to dealer the next morning, they come back after driving it with "needs a new transmission". Car had 119k miles, all services through dealer on schedule. Given mileage and time of replacement, I was beyond the extended transmission period by a few months (at least it was paid off two months). Called SoA, they reviewed the case and service records. Dealer offered to take $2k off ~$9k price tag, and SoA covered half of remainder since it was beyond coverage period. I got out with a new transmission for about $3.5k. BTW, the first transmission they put in didn't work right, so they sent it back for a new one. Took about 4 weeks start to finish. New transmission has 3 year/unlimited mile warranty. Of the four gen 4 outbacks at my work, now 50% of them have new trannies, at least partially covered by SoA.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Here's another example of a replaced transmission:

My 2013 outback lit up like a Christmas tree one October evening out of the blue,...
I might have parked it at Walmart and just left the keys in the ignition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I AM experiencing what I believe to be transmission issues with my 2015 Outback. It is the 3.6, automatic model. We have reported the issues to the dealer 3 times now and each time they say it is ‘not reproducable’. I have just left my car at the dealer to be looked at again and they told me they might need me to come and ‘drive the car’ so that they can see what is going on. Basically they implied both my husband and I were making this up and that if they couldn’t reproduce the problem then it doesn’t exist. I commute 30+ miles several days a week and if my car transmission blows up when I am on the freeway, I will definitely hold Suburu accountable (assuming I live to tell the tale :)). I have also written to ‘Head office’ but haven’t heard back yet. I’m hoping they won’t ‘fob us off’ the way the local dealer appears to be doing.

The problems we have seen are as follows:
1. When starting the car from cold, for example, leaving the garage and then stopping with foot on break for a moment, the whole car can issue a really loud ‘clunk’ and shudder as if it’s trying to leap forward. The noise is easily audible from outside the car too so it’s loud!
2. On slight uphill slopes when driving under 10 miles an hour, the car can hesitate multiple times as if the transmission is slipping
3. When in stop/go traffic and accelerating from near standstill, car can hesitate as if transmission is slipping or not engaging
4. These issues are intermittent but on a bad day can happen many, many times, and on a good day, not at all.

My first Suburu Outback lasted over 200,000 almost trouble-free miles and it’s still being driven by its new owner! This current Outback has about 40,000 miles on it and has been ‘playing up’ for the last 6 months. When I come to think of it, from the first moment we owned it, we noticed that reversing out of our driveway (slight gradient), we would hear a clunk and have to wrestle a bit to get the car into reverse gear -it almost felt ‘sticky’. Perhaps this was indicative of what was to come?

There is ZERO doubt in my mind that Suburu knows it has a real issue and by offering an extended warranty is trying to make it sound like a positive. Interestingly enough, we have NOT received a letter about our 2015 model. I am worried now that because of the letters going out, the local dealer will have an even stronger inclination to ignore us in case we are ‘trying to take advantage’ of the ‘extended warranty’. It is so sad to me that a brand I have historically loved so much has come to this. It’s annoying and disappointing to have issues with a newish car, and then have a dealer treat you like a liar and ignore your genuine concerns. What would possess a normal person to go out of their way to put their car in the shop multiple times, be left without transport and lose their free time if they didn’t HAVE to do it? Nothing would make me happier than having a super reliable car that never went to the shop for anything other than a service. I get no joy out of having to waste time over and over again.

I think Suburu should have come clean and owned up to their being a problem and offered to put it right.

If we get any joy on this our 4th attempt, I will post and let people know.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The problems we have seen are as follows:
1. When starting the car from cold, for example, leaving the garage and then stopping with foot on break for a moment, the whole car can issue a really loud ‘clunk’ and shudder as if it’s trying to leap forward. The noise is easily audible from outside the car too so it’s loud!
2. On slight uphill slopes when driving under 10 miles an hour, the car can hesitate multiple times as if the transmission is slipping
3. When in stop/go traffic and accelerating from near standstill, car can hesitate as if transmission is slipping or not engaging
4. These issues are intermittent but on a bad day can happen many, many times, and on a good day, not at all.
FWIW, I've had the surging when cold, though it seems more like it's the engine control switching from startup mode to warm-up mode. But certainly no clunk.

The other symptoms you report sound like normal CVT behavior (though this is my first CVT) , a kind of a "hunting" under very light throttle, as though the CVT is trying to figure out just what you want. It's just not the positive, locked-in feel of a standard automatic. HTH

381 - 400 of 429 Posts
About this Discussion
428 Replies
149 Participants
Dirkdaddy
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing