Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this year I received, as did everyone else with my model year(2011 outback 2.5) indicating that Subaru was extending the warranty on the CVT but you had to get your car inspected. Most people may just throw these notices away or forget about them and go get serviced with their aftermarket shop.

I took mine in, mainly because it's convenient and the costs are worth the piece of mind...although I don't let them change the cabin/air filters ever. Too easy and cheap to do it yourself.

Well, my car has over 160k miles on it. A couple of weeks ago, the dash lit up like Christmas and it was off to the shop. Found out I had a bad torque converter and bad valve bodies. Since the warranty extended one year from date of inspection, the repairs and rental car were totally covered for the time it took to get it fixed.

Moral of the story...pay attention to those mailed notices!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Happy for you that the extension worked out. It has not for me. I have a 2010 Outback 2.5 with 172k miles and the transmission is slipping. Subaru will not honor it. Dealer says it's $7200 to replace the transmission. It makes me sick bc in extending the warrantee, they have acknowledged the problem. My car is great except for this issue. We have 5 Subarus in our family, sadly won't be buying another one.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,735 Posts
@Krpinct
It's most likely a valve body issue and/or torque converter. The chain drive doesn't slip. The torque converter clutch does. Dripping the trans to change the TC and VB is NO WHERE near $7200.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Happy for you that the extension worked out. It has not for me. I have a 2010 Outback 2.5 with 172k miles and the transmission is slipping. Subaru will not honor it. Dealer says it's $7200 to replace the transmission. It makes me sick bc in extending the warrantee, they have acknowledged the problem. My car is great except for this issue. We have 5 Subarus in our family, sadly won't be buying another one.
I have a 2011 Outback with just over 100k miles and it's currently in the shop having the torque converter replaced (among many other things, head gaskets, oil pan seal, etc). The car was randomly shuddering and stalling out at slow to stop speeds. They had to completely drain the fluid from the transmission to make sure no metal flakes were in there. Luckily, they found none. I was told a new CVT transmission is about $8k - $9k.

For a new torque converter, head gasket and oil pan seal and some other misc items it's going to be around $7k. This is our 2nd Outback and we are done with them. Their recall and extended warranty issues are getting ridiculous. I have spent soooo many hours in and out of the Subaru shop so many times, enough is enough. Last time I was there in the waiting room there were 2 Subaru Ascent owners there for issues and recalls.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@cardoc Thank you for your response. If I could get your opinion, the dealership changed the transmission fluid and I have less slippage. When it does occur, it is less severe and only when the engine is cold. Does that tell you anything? Thanks so much!

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
2,158 Posts
just curious why you think you would be covered? original terms were 1 year unlimited mileage (expired a while before you typed this) and 10 year 100K for everyone else that was originally affected by this. As they have extended the warranty, each new vehicle year(s) added was given the same 1 year unlimited mileage..10 yr 100K extension 2010-15 were covered under that warranty back in 2017 for unlimited mileage

refer to this post here:

and the original document here: 2010 unlimited mileage warranty expired in 2018

·
Registered
4 Posts
The receipt only says "performed transmission service" Charged $230 plus tax which includes a new drain plug and 7 quarts of fluid so assuming they just drained and refilled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Krpinct Did they do a complete fluid exchange or just a drain and fill?

You may also get the battery ampere output checked as well as the cabling.
Slipping is getting worse. Don't know if I should have the transmission fluid exchanged or look into the VB/TC. The car has 182,000 miles. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts