Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Does anyone know which of these two it is? Or will I have to get the shop to take out the old one before I get to order it's replacement?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good point, for sure. That's a real concern. Thanks.

Maybe I'll see if there's an OEM rebuilt one out there. And I will check car-parts.com.

Cheers.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,210 Posts
The one I replaced looked like the second one.

However I'm not sure what one failed on this model. The resistance and code in the ECU should give it away.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
They don't seem to have parts for a 2012 Subaru. Thanks, though.

·
Registered
18,057 Posts
@toronto78

The P0971 code is related to the AWD transfer solenoid, not the Torque Converter Lock-up Solenoid that your eBay clip in post #21 above is for. I believe that there's some functions on the valve body that use the same type/model of solenoid, but I don't know if these two are interchangeable.

Edit: Solenoid resistance data in an ATRA paper indicates that the AWD transfer solenoid is the only solenoid with a resistance of around 3 Ohms. The others are all higher, suggesting that they are not interchangeable with the AWD solenoid.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
@toronto78

The P0971 code is related to the AWD transfer solenoid, not the Torque Converter Lock-up Solenoid that your eBay clip in post #21 above is for. I believe that there's some functions on the valve body that use the same type/model of solenoid, but I don't know if these two are interchangeable.

Thank you for noticing that. I think I typed 'TR690 solenoid' and it auto-filled the rest. You just saved me from a terribly embarrassing mistake. Thank you, OBDad.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So the transmission shop says that it's the 'transfer duty solenoid' in the valve body, The owner of the shop says he's called around and can not find a source for this. I was quoted about $1400 for just the valve body, not installation.

Does anyone have a source for the part I need? It seems all of the ones I find are the torque converter ones. Although one of them is 3.5ohms, so maybe that's what I need? Please help.

·
Registered
18,057 Posts
Put a separate thread in the Classified forum looking for that solenoid. Someone might have a valve body that was replaced for another problem, but the AWD Solenoid on it might be fine.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,210 Posts
So the transmission shop says that it's the 'transfer duty solenoid' in the valve body, The owner of the shop says he's called around and can not find a source for this. I was quoted about $1400 for just the valve body, not installation.

Does anyone have a source for the part I need? It seems all of the ones I find are the torque converter ones. Although one of them is 3.5ohms, so maybe that's what I need? Please help.
I believe it's this one:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sweet. Thanks. I believe that will be the one I order. I showed it to the guy at the shop. He wasn't as optimistic as I'd hoped, but what the ****. I expect this will work and it beats a $1400 valve body.

I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well that's great news. Hopefully btsnhos does and is able to help.

The link is the same for me, sort of just a screen shot. And when I take the item # from the URL it brings up the listing, but the part is out of stock. I've written the seller to see if it's coming back, but nothing yet.
BUT I took the part numbers and replacement part numbers from the listing that's put of stock and cross-referenced them with each other and came up with a bunch that are listed as torque converter lock-up solenoids. From that I looked at just the ones that are 3.5ohms and I will pick from that group.
The AWD switch solenoid is the only one on the valve body that's 3.5ohms. So I'm guessing a little, but feel confident that it's the one I need.

Although now I'll wait for btsnhos.

Thanks. This has really perked up my day.
Cheers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
For those of you who don't want to follow a link from a stranger's post on a web forum...

21 - 40 of 49 Posts