Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2005 outback XT, I have recently completed an EJ20x Swap Everything works as it should except for cylinder three. I have swapped injectors and coil packs and it will still not fire, Compression read 135. Would there be a way to test the coil pack wires. Or what could be the issue.
Still very new to this forum So sorry if I did this wrong

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,471 Posts
Did you check the spark plug? Even if you put in new plugs with the engine it's not an uncommon thing to get a bad plug out of the box. They can get dropped at any time from production to you getting it and the sections separated. It would fire to the spark plug tube, arcing, rather than at the electrode.

Next would be to check your harness connectors. Water, bent pins, etc.

You can check to see if you have power to the injector connector with the key on or the engine running utilizing a test light or volt meter. Clamp on the ground, Probe end to the RED wire and it should light up. You can do the same for the ground signal from the ECM by connecting the test light in opposite fashion. Clamp on positive, probe end on the wire and it'll flash with the ECM ground signal with the engine running.

Coils can be checked with a spark tester. I use "True-Spark" indicator. It'll flash with the coil firing. Or, you can pull the coil and check the resistance. You can also disconnect the coil connector and check for power (Blue wire) with the key on, engine off. That will verify current availability via the harness to that connector. As for the ground, you could leave the connector unplugged and check pin 1 (Brown/yellow wire) of the harness side for a ground from the ECM with the engine running. And check for a constant ground, even with the key OFF on pin 2 (Black/Yellow). Resistance to ground at pin 2 should be less than 5 ohms.

Fuel Injectors.

Ignition coils; pin 3 of all the coils goes back to the fuel pump relay and fuse 12. In the diagrams it is wire reference "A". Pin 1 of each is the ground signal from the ECM.

These give good info and show how to test coils. It's a Toyota 3.4 but the concept is the same.
In part 1 he shows how a scanner will sometimes not give you misfires or roughness per cylinder. Generally it's because the PID logic is not available. A lot of Subies prior to 2005 do not give you roughness/misfire PIDs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, after testing coil packs and injectors, the spark plug is completely dry and after Switching injectors The problem did not follow, do you think this could possibly be a bad fuel pressure issue? Or maybe something wrong with the fuel rail?

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
460 Posts
Did you put a test light or noid on the electrical connector to the injector?
If you swapped injectors and plugs, sounds like there is a possibility of wiring issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,471 Posts
It just so happens that I have been going back and forth with a friend in VA on a similar issue. Misfire on 3. His is a 2006 WRX. He has smoked the intake, found some leaks in the PCV system and fixed them. Then he checked fuel today. He is getting 30 psi with the regulator hooked up to vacuum and 40 max with it unhooked. The car misfires at 5 psi. He rigged a fuel pressure gauge on to the car and drove it and it never gets above 40 psi. This is not good. It'll blow the engine. He's ordering a fuel pump and filter. His car has 170k miles on it.

I've had similar issues with various WRX and STI in the past and a fuel filter corrected it.

You would check pressure prior to the regulator. Hooked up to vacuum it should be 43-45 psi and unhooked it should rise to 50 or better. If the pressure changes regardless of the reading with vacuum and then hose off then the regulator is working and your problem would be in the tank. If the pressure stays the same, the regulator isn't working.

The filter is replaceable by itself if you find a fueling issue. But if the filter is heavily restricted then a new pump wouldn't be a bad idea. Walbro or Deatschwerks are reliable for a long haul if you don't want to get OEM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you put a test light or noid on the electrical connector to the injector?
If you swapped injectors and plugs, sounds like there is a possibility of wiring issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Missed a step there, just tested for the signal and there was no flashing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts