Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, following a previous mistake of overtightening my head bolts I am stuck replacing the gaskets. see post:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/50750-overtightened-my-head-bolts.html

I'm thinking ov replacing the bolts as well since they had been over-torqued. Not sure if I will replace them yet but it's on my mind. My questions:

1. Anyone trust aftermarket bolts ie. Felpro?
2. Anyone know who makes the bolts for Subaru?
3. Anyone wanna talk me out of replacing?

Thanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
? who makes the bolts for Subaru, but I'd do ARP Stud's if I wanted to upgrade the OEM bolts.

ARPs also have a simple torque procedure 30, 60, then 90 ft/lbs in Subarus tightening sequence.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doing a little research, I see that the aftermarket brands of bolts I see say that they are torque to yield or stretch bolts. Supposedly OEM bolts are not TTY or Stretch bolts.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
I would stick with Subaru bolts myself, new or used.
Yes - Subaru are not TTY bolts. There are some intricacies to the bolts and torque pattern regarding material properties that gets very technical...i'd just stick with Subaru myself. nothing wrong with a set of used Subaru bolts.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
if you were concerned i'd just ask for a set of used head bolts from the forum here in the parts wanted section.
.i'd just stick with Subaru myself. nothing wrong with a set of used Subaru bolts.
what he said. nothing wrong with re-using subaru bolts. but if you are concerned about having over torqued them, then replace them.

usually the error with the head bolts is torquing them to 121 FT lbs instead of the 121 INCH lbs. in the 2nd or 3rd step. and either the block threads are stripped or the bolt busts. both are pretty much an engine killer.

get some used subaru head bolts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The thing with used Subaru bolts is that I don;t know the history of them. I wouldn't be comfortable. Mine are stripped or broken so I;m leaning toward reusing them. If I decide to buy some more, I'll go new OEM. $120!!! Seems a little outrageous.

Would YOU change the bolts or just try to reuse the ones I've got despite the over tightening. In the end, I over-turned by a half turn (180 degrees). Not sure what the actual torque was.

·
Registered
232 Posts
As I told you in the other thread, I would not exchange them. The very minute amount you over torqued them would not have caused any measurable stretching or deformation. I definitely would not buy used bolts, because they might have a less favorable history than yours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
spadefoot
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing