Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I’m replacing the valve cover gaskets on a pulled ez30d before I swap it back into my outback (this is the original, the replacement jdm failed on the first start and the car's been sitting in my driveway for two months but now I need to move it so I'm swapping the old engine which at least runs back in). When I took off the right side cover I found this mound of crunchy, soot-like stuff built up around one of the plugs on the cylinder head. I'm assuming that it goes to the water jacket and the build-up is coolant that somehow leaked past it dried up. I took the plug out to inspect further and now I'm just wondering if anything should be applied to the threads when I put it back in or just torque it down. The fsm doesn't illustrate that any fluid packing goes there but I also couldn't find any mention of it other than in the diagram of the cylinder heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
No idea what that plug is for, but sealing the threads with a thread sealing compound is what i would do when reinstalling it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That plug is used in manufacturing, subaru needed access to hollow out the cooling section of the head, and then plugged it up. There might be an aluminum washer with that plug. Adding sealant won't hurt anything. The build-up is cooked oil. Sludge, as it were.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The first JDM engine I received had a similar amount of sludge in the same location. The engine failed leak-down on the same side as the sludge. Given the failed leak-down, I sent the engine back to the seller. I do not know if the two observations were related. No harm in removing and resealing the plug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts