Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 2.5 liter outback engine threw a rod. I picked up a 1999 Outback with a low mileage (74K) 2.5 engine thinking I could just swap with the blown engine. It turns out that the cylinder heads on the 1999 are the small valve cover type and a thinner head, making the overall width of the engine assembly smaller that the 2002. Does anyone know if I can just use my 2002 heads, intake manifold, timing belt components, etc on the 1999 engine block? I called the local Subaru dealer and they said they did't' know. Any insight about this would be greatly appreciated, before I tear the engines down. Thanks

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Have you considered chatting with someone who SPECIALIZES in rebuilding Subarus? Here in Vermont, (where Subaru is the state car) there are several shops which ONLY work on Subaru.

I know a shop in Middleburry VT that has a yard full of Subaru parts. They purchase Subies from auction all over New England, rebuild and sell as "Reclaim Title" vehicles. I would not be surprised if any one of their mechanics could answer your question in detail.

As an aside, I was at that shop a couple weeks ago looking for seats for my daughters OB. They sent me out behind their shop into "the yard". I walked past a pile of intake-manifolds (both metal and plastic ones) there must have been 75 manifolds in that pile. "The yard" contains acres of various Subarus (all of them were obviousy in an accident at one point)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Brucep. You don’t happen to have their telephone number do you? I’m located in Southwest Idaho near Boise. Thanks

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,335 Posts
The issue is your 1999 OB has a different engine type than your 2002. Essentially, unusable.

You're looking for 2000-2003 Outbacks, Foresters, or Impreza for a range of available donors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody know if 2.5 factory cylinder head bolts are re-usable? I’ve heard that new ones are required. Is that true? Thanks .... Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts