Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
'03 L.L. Bean OBW 162,000 mi Dad: 2012 3.6 Limited 90,000 mi Mom- 2015 Impreza 5MT
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My dad just slid his 2012 Outback into a curb. I haven't seen it yet. He's on his way home. He says the steering wheel is off-center to drive straight, and thinks the suspension damage is in the front. I will look for any obvious damage like bent tie rods or control arms, but what is the chance of unibody damage to the suspension mounting points? Is it likely that this will be fixable with bolt-on replacement parts, or will he probably need to go to a body shop? I will post back once I've seen the car.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,212 Posts
classically, I would suggest flat-bedding so as to not damage the AWD system. any noise?

lots of parts up there are bolt on, so if the car is still drive able you might be in luck. but letting a professional shop do it is good for speed and frustration.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
They design these things to bend, then break all the bolt-on stuff before the welded parts deform. It doesn't always work, but they have a decent history.

The fact that it is still controllable at all is good news- it may still take a lot of parts, but generally you have to hit it hard enough to disable it before you worry about a truly bent body.

·
Registered
'03 L.L. Bean OBW 162,000 mi Dad: 2012 3.6 Limited 90,000 mi Mom- 2015 Impreza 5MT
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I figured out the problem. The rear lower control arm mount seems tweaked. It's bent backwards, which is giving him a large amount of toe-out on the passenger's side front.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't find the front subframe in any exploded views. It's not in suspension, and I can't seem to find it in body (though I might be missing it). Can someone please help?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,212 Posts
I can't find the front subframe in any exploded views. It's not in suspension, and I can't seem to find it in body (though I might be missing it). Can someone please help?
50527AJ01A = cross member =$500 (bolts to the safety cage at the fire wall, and the engine goes on top of).

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,120 Posts
@eagleeye thanks for this image. I will use this to revamp my FSBB instructions. The images I found on the MikeShaw parts website were incomplete, so I fudged it with a Forester

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,212 Posts
@eagleeye thanks for this image. I will use this to revamp my FSBB intructions. The images I found on the MikeShaw parts website were incomplete, so I fudged it,
I got them off a quirk. (which uses revolution parts software)

I knew what I was looking for though, was thinking about a 2010 3.6 legacy that needed such a thing. nice looker, but it was like you needed a rear / roof smash legacy or outback parts car to fix it,...and those don't come cheap either.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news, apparently that bolt is adjustable. Nothing was bent, according to A&T Subaru in Philadelphia. They aligned it, the passenger's front wheel had 1 degree of positive camber and 3.5 degrees of toe out but all seems well now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts