Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was overseas for 1 month and I came back to this. Of course my neighbors know nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what the extent of the damage may be, and sensors or so forth.... Maybe it's all just the front bumper?

Also, any idea what happened to it?

Attachments

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
very minor you need a new bumper cover.

Be roughly $400-$600 to buy the cover, paint, and labor.
You can buy used in the same color for $150 - $350. Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market or ebay

is that where the incident occurred - just as it's pictured?

Looks like a very concnetrated blunt strike with no paint transfer - my first guess is a hitch/ball when someone backed in, turned around in the driveway.

Alternately a drunk pedestrian or someone riding a bike/skateboard crashed/rolled into it.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
technically it's possible to entertain repairing it - but that incurs a higher future failure rate (since a bumper basically doesn't have any failure rate), a finer skill set, and you're simply paying more labor instead of parts (more labor to repair than replace, more parts to replace then repair), and so it's generally avoided and most shops will say "replace, that's your only option".

fortunately bumper covers are super easy to remove, does not take long at all.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,048 Posts
a low hit like that reminds me of what a towed trailer does when it hits something,

sometimes the driver does not even know they hit anything.

and it is wholly possible the neighbors did not see it happen,

personally I have watched lost people turn around in my own driveway pulling bizarre turns within a foot of my parked cars.

security cams (even still trail cams) at least can answer how, if not who.

Reactions: Durlaker One

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, my insurance company put it at ~$775 to take the front bumper off and put a new one on.

I was afraid there might have been a sensor or so located in that area in regards to lane departure or anything in that regards so I figured I'd better play it safe.

That said I now have to decide where to get it fixed. Des Moines Subaru(ramsey) has a reputation as price gougers (let's say they have high overhead and generally can't compete on price with anyone anywhere) so I could easily see it being far more costly but don't really want to head out to Chicago either.

Anyhow, a hitch ball makes sense plenty of trucks driven by people who've never stepped foot on a farm... actually a usually drunken neighbor too. Too bad I can't prove anything though, no cameras or anything of that sort. Compared to my $500 deductible would have been cheaper to place the car in airport parking. Oh Well, live and learn.

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,701 Posts
Sometimes, shops are happy to work within the confines of an insurance estimate. You might also pit the insurance against the shop and see if insurance will come up on the pay-out if you can't find a shop you like for the amount they paid.

I had a shop I liked (reputable and good at the time) that just took the insurance estimate and worked with that as what the bill would be.

Also - is that $775 before or after your deductible is factored? If after, keep in mind that the shop is likely going to want $1,000+ (depending on your deductible) for the actual repair.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Find out who does that dealers body/paint work and go through them directly, dealers don't always do paint/body work and sub it out to someone else local. I just call and stop in and ask the parts guys - they're usually very helpful.

The part is $200, you need it painted and installed. I'd prefer having a good body shop do it since they're doing this kind of work every hour of every day. Probably roughly $500 and you don't have to submit a claim.

$225 already painted:
2015-2016 SUBARU OUTBACK FRONT BUMPER COVER OEM # 57704AL01A | eBay

Install wouldn't take a shop long - $100 - $200 - you'd be less than your deductible.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,436 Posts
Your price quote of $775 seems right.

No need to go through a dealer. Shop around for the best body shop you can find, then talk with them. They can order the OEM bumper cover and repaint it.

You can ask your insurance company what body shops they use but you can go anywhere. Generally, if you do go to a recommended shop they will do a little more of the paperwork for you, and you might get a longer warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts