Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Legacy L Outback Wagon 2.5L AT, 2004 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT, 2000 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I (foolishly) used a pry bar in an attempt to remove the front axle from the transmission. Now the ring that mates with the 'inner seal' is mangled. Apparently this part is not available from Subaru. Do I need to purchase new axles?

By the way, after I tried unsuccessfully to get the axle out without removing any bolts from the suspension I found this youtube video which was VERY helpful

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,653 Posts
good idea to put some anti-seize or similar on the splines.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,348 Posts
That piece looks like a press on retainer ring. An independent drive-line repair or re-fab shop should be able to help you but when all is said and done it might be better to just replace the whole thing. If it's me, I'd very carefully bend it back in to shape. It's just there as a dust shield basically.

There's a great place called Drive-lines NW in Everett WA but I bet that it's too far for you. ;)

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,966 Posts
That thing is just a splash guard, it doesn't engage anything.

Take it off, or straighten it, just make sure it doesn't touch the seal.

It comes off fairly easily, I transferred mine to an axle that didn't come with one.
If you have some down time, I might have a spare to mail.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Legacy L Outback Wagon 2.5L AT, 2004 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT, 2000 Legacy Outback 2.5L AT
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That piece looks like a press on retainer ring. An independent drive-line repair or re-fab shop should be able to help you but when all is said and done it might be better to just replace the whole thing. If it's me, I'd very carefully bend it back in to shape. It's just there as a dust shield basically.

There's a great place called Drive-lines NW in Everett WA but I bet that it's too far for you. ;)
Yes, thanks for the suggestion, but Washington is a long way from Minnesota and I won't be driving out there (for windsurfing) until it warms up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That thing is just a splash guard, it doesn't engage anything.

Take it off, or straighten it, just make sure it doesn't touch the seal.

It comes off fairly easily, I transferred mine to an axle that didn't come with one.
If you have some down time, I might have a spare to mail.
Perhaps I was looking for a seal when it is actually a baffle plate. Item #5 as shown in the diagram below is called 'baffle plate inner join'

AutoCenter.net

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,269 Posts
Its not an absolute necessity to have it on the axle. You can leave it the way it is or just rebend it a little straighter before you install the axle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts