Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pick up this relatively clean beauty for cheap. Yeah, it has 175K on it, and there is a little rust on the rear quarter, but everything else is solid!!

Car is a bone stock OBW. I have a few ideas on what mods I will do. First and foremost is putting my WRX seats and STi shift know in. I didn't really like the stock seats. I just have to get the tools so I can put the seat heaters and power adjuster on the WRX seats.

After that, off to the body shop to take care of the rust and get an estimate to have the cladding painted the to match the rest of the car. Not a big fan of the two tone, but I love the colour.

I'll take some day shots tomorrow. I was just so excited about the car.

The interior is MINT. I will have some pics for that tomorrow.

Now for suspension. I really want to leave it stock ride height and just tighten the suspension, so sway bars will be the first order of business. I want to be able to keep the stock tyre diameter, but go wider. I will be going 17s on it with a 235/50/17 or there about.

Mods that I want to do.

Engine: I loved the UELs on my BG, so that will be the route that I am going, but I have to figure out an exhaust system for it. I will be doing a 2.5" cat and then work on a 2.25" exhaust from there. I want that Scooby rumble. Long term, I am thinking of a USDM WRX or STi Swap for a little more power. Don't need it to be a monster, but anything north of 250hp would be nice.

Exterior: Not sure if I want to do much to the exterior. I may just get some JDM tails and a roof spoiler and be done with it. I like the body cladding, just hate the colour.

Interior: Aside from the aforementioned WRX seats and Shift knob, I would like to change the steering will out for a Momo, or something nice. Not terribly important, but it's a thought. I will be painting the wood trim. If it ain't really wood, it shouldn't look like it. I will probably just go with titanium or gun metal for that. The rear seats will either be swapped or at least recovered to look like the WRX seats.

Brakes: I want to go bigger, but not STis, so I am looking at 4th Gen H6 or brakes. I will have to do more research.

ICE: This may be the car I finally do my carputer in. Technology has made leaps and bounds over the past 6 years, so I will be looking at something Android or Ubuntu based for the OS. I want to make it nice and integrated. With my unlimited data plan, I will have internet and GPS access in the car.

I will probably get more ideas as I go along, but this is the start of something beautiful.

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some daytime shots. I love the colour of this car. It is missing a few things right now. One of them I think I need is an SL-I sticker somewhere. :p

This is the new cars in the same shot. We will be getting the tags transferred from our other cars tomorrow, so we will them drive them around some. Oh yeah, I have to get them smogged to.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
That's a good color at night or during the day.

I always think something is missing when I see one of these dashboards. I don't understand why they didn't do the cluster cover in the same wood pattern.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 "USDM Lancaster6" -OBW Pearl White LL Bean Edition H6.
374 Posts
That's a beautiful BH, makes me miss my 02!

Best of luck with it, I look forward to seeing the changes you have in store! :29:

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Very nice car. I was just curious. What's with the Christmas lights?

·
Registered
13 blk Outback 2.5i cvt AW package, bunch of other OEM accessories...12 blk F350 6.2 gasser 4x4...10 Goldwing red nav ...04 JD 4510 loader/bhoe
77 Posts
Int is nice!

But, the exterior is nice also! Good luck with her! Aren't all cars female? LOL

Hmmmm, the lights, I'm going with ST PATTY'S ,,,:rolleyes::29:

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice car. I was just curious. What's with the Christmas lights?
See Efmall's theory. :)

But, the exterior is nice also! Good luck with her! Aren't all cars female? LOL

Hmmmm, the lights, I'm going with ST PATTY'S ,,,:rolleyes::29:
Ding Ding Ding, you are correct sir!! They are actually Halloween lights that my wife put up for St Patty's. The green looks good.

The exterior has some rock chips, but that is to be expected in a car that is 11 years old and has over 175k. There are three rust spots that I have to get taken care of ASAP. I plan on keeping the car a long time.

Update on the interior. Got the STI shift knob installed, but the WRX seats don't fit comfortably. They were great in the BG, but way too tall in this car. Oh well, the stock seats are growing on me and they are heated which was great this morning.

·
Registered
13 blk Outback 2.5i cvt AW package, bunch of other OEM accessories...12 blk F350 6.2 gasser 4x4...10 Goldwing red nav ...04 JD 4510 loader/bhoe
77 Posts
See Efmall's theory. :)

Ding Ding Ding, you are correct sir!! They are actually Halloween lights that my wife put up for St Patty's. The green looks good.

The exterior has some rock chips, but that is to be expected in a car that is 11 years old and has over 175k. There are three rust spots that I have to get taken care of ASAP. I plan on keeping the car a long time.

Update on the interior. Got the STI shift knob installed, but the WRX seats don't fit comfortably. They were great in the BG, but way too tall in this car. Oh well, the stock seats are growing on me and they are heated which was great this morning.
Well, I used a really good clue to solve it:p

And what might that be???

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
P0420 CEL came on again. Time to start doing a tune up. I am not sure when it was done last, but the air filter is kinda cruddy. Following CarDoc's thread to track this down.

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nothing too meaningful to add since I have been spending time on the wife's car and just enjoying driving this one.

I did remove the AWD stickers from the rear windows as well as the SIA sticker. Now, I am ready for tint!

Time to clean the cruddy terminals. The first step in getting rid of this P0420 CEL I have.

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took 20 mins with the Turtle Wax headlight restorer kit and it looks 100% better than it was. Not perfect, but I will be redoing them again before I Laminx them.

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet lookin ride, shame it comes with that funny looking dude in the reflections standard!
Thanks man. I know you have a sweet ride too, but the dude drivin' it is funnier looking than me. :D I am gonna shoot you a text to see what you are doing tonight.

Got some new seats today. Straight trade for my cloth seats. I am diggin' the bippu style this car is starting to acquire. Next is to find a nice OBW VDC or LL Bean leather and mahogany Momo steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not so much a fan of shiny bling, but this looks hawt!!

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here it is in completely. There are two things that I ran into with this. The hanger for the cat doesn't line up great. You have to fight with it to get it in. In my fight, the bolt was stripped, so off the the dealership for a new one. The second is you will need to double up on the gasket between the cat and the mid-pipe. That is the only leak I found so far. I have to still see if the "skidplate" fits with the header.

I will try to get better pics when I have it up on a lift, but It fit very well. Better than the DNAs I had for my BG.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
Is that a full exhaust?? Where did you get, and how much did you pay for it? My stock exhaust is DONE, and I'm trying to figure out how to replace it, and OEM is expensive...

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is just the header and cat. I paid $349 shipped for it. The cat back I am going to be doing when I have some extra cash. It will be cheaper to have an exhaust shop fab up a cat back for you, or you can get a WRX or STI axle back and have the shop just make a midpipe and change the hangers on the exhaust.

Here's the link for the header and cat.

Tsudo EL 98-05 Subaru Impreza RS Header with flow Cat

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Wow! Thank you. What I am worried about is if the car will still pass inspection (emissions). Cat back isn't that expensive, it is the OEM headers and CATs that make the new exhaust so expensive. I plan on keeping this car for a long time (5 years at least... I want to hit at minimum 200K if not more with it) so I was considering doing stainless steel anyway. I think right now the main source of my horrible exhaust noise is the flange between the intermediate pipe and the muffler.

·
Premium Member
2014 Legacy 2.5i 6M
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're welcome. Yep. That is where it rotted on my 97 OBW. I will be getting video of how the exhaust sounds later today. It sounds pretty nice for having a stockish catback.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Also, how does it sound hooked up to the OEM catback? Because to be honest, I might just stick to an OEM catback (at least the muffler anyway, might have the rest fabbed out of stainless by an exhaust shop), because I want the car to still be quiet. I'd be okay with a little boxer rumble when I get on it, though.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts