Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, 2004 Subaru Legacy Outback. Dash, radio and shift lights all went out yesterday. Before going on a search and discover mission thought I would put this out there. I had my timing belt replaced about 3 months ago and read somewhere that might be a place to look (not sure why). If not - any suggestions? I am a woman and at the mercy of an honest (or dishonest) mechanic. Before I dig in -- where should I start? Thanks all.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,304 Posts
Timing belt has nothing to do with dash lights.

May be a blown fuse. Easy to fix, if it is. Harder to troubleshoot if it blows again right after.

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,839 Posts
OK, at night, see if the dimmer knob can actually alter the dash lights from from 'incredibly dim' up to 'very dim'.

I have had intermittent problems with the illumination module. Never discovered what causes it to come-and-go but, it just starts working again.

I dunno, maybe it's sensitive to a battery getting old or something? Or, clean the battery terminals and let the car 'reset' and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The person that mentioned the timing belt connection was because of the area the work was done may have cause a loose connection somehow. IDK..I'm not a mechanic and where I live right now I have to say there isn't the brightest mechanics in the world. I had an alternator put in not quite a year ago. I just hate going to a mechanic here and not have some idea where to start looking. My first guess is a fuse...but....when I turn the lights off the radio light will go on (days lights still out). When I turn the headlights off - radio light goes out. Dash lights remain out either way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill take a look at that. Please read my reply to the first responder. I also just had an alternation put in less than 1 year ago. Battery is also less than 1 year old. Ughhh.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,839 Posts
freed - in a new thread, ask for a shop recommendation near your city. might luck-out and find a better mechanic.

you description of the problem does sound odd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts