Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just trying to find some input about dashcams from anyone that is using one with a 2020 outback.And where and how you mount them.
I don't want anything hard wired since I want to use it on another vehicle too.I'd be ok with it sitting on the dash in a bean bag.
Thx

·
Registered
26 Posts
I put my garmin mini on the glass right next to the rearview mirror mount. Its small enough that there is no interference with the eyesight system.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,914 Posts
Just trying to find some input about dashcams from anyone that is using one with a 2020 outback.And where and how you mount them.
I don't want anything hard wired since I want to use it on another vehicle too.I'd be ok with it sitting on the dash in a bean bag.
Thx
I am running a Viofo A119 V3:

·
Premium Member
2020 Outback Premium
368 Posts
we have two garmin dash cams. One in our 2020 OB and one in our pickup truck. Not hard wired. We’ve had them several years. No issues. And yes the power cord just hangs there. Doesn’t bother us. I have more than one story where our dash am has recorded accidents. One was a fatal (We weren’t involved). The video kept the case out of civil court.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we have two garmin dash cams. One in our 2020 OB and one in our pickup truck. Not hard wired. We’ve had them several years. No issues. And yes the power cord just hangs there. Doesn’t bother us. I have more than one story where our dash am has recorded accidents. One was a fatal (We weren’t involved). The video kept the case out of civil court.
Yep that's what I'm looking for. Do they have screens to view files or do you do it on a phone app?

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
674 Posts
I have my plans set. I will mount a Garmin Mini behind the rearview mirror on the right side because that is the side that has the most room. I suggest getting a second mount for your other vehicle if you must share a camera. I recommend doing a permanent mount using power from the overhead console. The camera can easily be unplugged and moved if you have a second mount for the other car.

·
Registered
99 Legacy Outback; 2010 Outback 2.5i Premium CVT, Harvest Gold
94 Posts
Here's another vote for Viofo A119 V3. It is unobtrusive, barely noticeable on passenger side of mirror. This placement does not affect Eyesight. Neither does it affect driver's vision. IMG_20200913_120441287.jpg IMG_20200913_115546284.jpg

Instead of letting the wiring dangle, the cord can be tucked into headliner, down along the passenger-side A pillar, right side of glove compartment, under passenger floormat, to the center armrest console's 12 volt accessory outlet.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT in Autumn Green
177 Posts
Here's another vote for Viofo A119 V3. It is unobtrusive, barely noticeable on passenger side of mirror. This placement does not affect Eyesight. Neither does it affect driver's vision. View attachment 492689 View attachment 492691

Instead of letting the wiring dangle, the cord can be tucked into headliner, down along the passenger-side A pillar, right side of glove compartment, under passenger floormat, to the center armrest console's 12 volt accessory outlet.
I've been looking at the 2020 Eyesight manual, trying to figure out the best place to mount my e-z pass. Looking at the diagram in the manual, I'm not confident it's true that your placement doesn't affect Eyesight. It seems like it could affect it, if I'm looking at the no-go zone in the diagram correctly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,914 Posts
I've been looking at the 2020 Eyesight manual, trying to figure out the best place to mount my e-z pass. Looking at the diagram in the manual, I'm not confident it's true that your placement doesn't affect Eyesight. It seems like it could affect it, if I'm looking at the no-go zone in the diagram correctly.
I'm running mine in the same location, but more towards the roof liner. Has it since last October and zero issues with EyeSight.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The prohibited area shown in the manual is extremely conservative.

In my real world experience of over 3 years with my 2015 OB with an earlier version of the Viofo (A119s), the identical placement shown in 2020 OB foto presented absolutely no problem with Eyesight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what's the point of having wifi in a dash cam? I would think an lcd screen would be better to play back a video when an accident happens since there might not be a wifi connection.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT Ice Silver Metallic
257 Posts
So what's the point of having wifi in a dash cam? I would think an lcd screen would be better to play back a video when an accident happens since there might not be a wifi connection.
The WiFi connection is between the dashcam and your smartphone... it is not WiFi in the sense that many people refer to their home internet connection as their “WiFi”. This direct WiFi connection allows you to instantly transfer and view recordings on your smartphone instead of viewing them on the tiny dashcam screen or needing to remove the memory card to view from another device. Some WiFi dashcams also allow for recordings to automatically upload to the cloud. You can get WiFi capable dashcams with or without an lcd screen and the recording is still on the memory card in the device even if you don’t have your smartphone available at the time for some reason.

I use This Insignia dashcam in my Outback. It is mounted to the right of the Eyesight cameras and the cord is tucked into headliner, down along the passenger-side A pillar and then plugged into the power outlet in the back of the glovebox... I’m not sure why people route the cord all the way to the center console outlet unless they aren’t aware that there is a power outlet in the back of the glovebox.

Reactions: GuiltyDoggy

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I'm thinking one with a capacitor would be better for me in upstate ny with cold winters. I see a lot offering the hard wire option. I'm no electrician but can figure most things out. Is the hard wire install hard to do yourself?
I've done some 12v wiring on boats and older cars but not in years.

·
Registered
257 Posts
So I'm thinking one with a capacitor would be better for me in upstate ny with cold winters. I see a lot offering the hard wire option. I'm no electrician but can figure most things out. Is the hard wire install hard to do yourself?
The hardwire kit offered for many dashcams just connects to or replaces a fuse in your car‘s fuse box, pretty simple. The main reasons for hardwiring would be if you want to use the security mode that some dashcams offer that allows for the cam to start recording when motion or an impact is detected when the car is parked with the ignition off or if you don‘t want to use one of your 12 volt outlets for power.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The hardwire kit offered for many dashcams just connects to or replaces a fuse in your car‘s fuse box, pretty simple. The main reasons for hardwiring would be if you want to use the security mode that some dashcams offer that allows for the cam to start recording when motion or an impact is detected when the car is parked with the ignition off or if you don‘t want to use one of your 12 volt outlets for power.
I'd be good with it just working while driving and plugged into a 12v socket. Just need to find one for cold temps.
I like the idea of a rear view also.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hardwiring isn't hard. I hardwired Viofo A119S into my 2015 OB 3 years ago.

I will be receiving hardwire kit for my 2020 OB today. Will do install of Viofo A119 V3 either today or tomorrow. My reason for hardwiring is neatness. Cig lighter set-up is functionally fine, but cord going to socket is visible.

·
Registered
257 Posts

I will be receiving hardwire kit for my 2020 OB today. Will do install of Viofo A119 V3 either today or tomorrow. My reason for hardwiring is neatness. Cig lighter set-up is functionally fine, but cord going to socket is visible.
The cord is not visible if you plug it into the 12v outlet in the back of the glovebox...

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT
39 Posts

I think the only reason to go with a hardwire install is to use a fuse slot that is always-on, for cams that you want to stay on/recording while parked.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts