Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Limited 3.6R
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I’m starting this post because I didn’t see a lot on here about dash cam recommendations, installation and other tips/advice for potential buyers and users. Since I purchased my 2018 Outback two months ago I’ve been wanting a dash cam as a security measure, I’ve only been in one instance where one would have been helpful but I figured it was a fairly inexpensive way to add some security and peace of mind.

I ended up getting the Nextbase 322 GW, a few weeks ago and just received the rear window camera accessory today. I found them on an electronics auction website so the price of both ended up being cheaper than the retail price of the front cam alone. I wasn’t able to find Outback-specific installation guides on Youtube, but I found a few videos involving the Forester and RAV 4 to be helpful. The front cam installation was very easy, hiding the cable behind the A-pillar was straightforward, and I think I’ll eventually get the hardwire kit to make it even more seamless. The rear camera installation was a bit more involved, but that’s because I wanted to hide the wire the entire way back, and went as far as feeding it though the rubber tube to the tailgate that houses several wires. It took me at least an hour, but it was my first time removing those types of panels, and I was moving cautiously and checking in with Youtube periodically. It turned out very clean and I’m so happy with the result!

My limited experience with the Nextbase 322 has been positive, it shoots in 1080p 60fps, but that may drop to 30fps with the rear cam attached. The app has been fairly simple to use however I’d probably opt to pop out the SD card and plug it into my computer if I needed footage for any serious reasons. I’d like to hardwire it so that I can take advantage of parking mode, I don’t live in a bad neighborhood but you never know.

If anyone has any questions about the cam or installation I can do my best to answer! I hope this post helps at least one person!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
13,427 Posts
Could you post photos of the installed cameras front and back?

Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
2018 Limited 3.6R
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you post photos of the installed cameras front and back?

It was a bit tough to get a good shot of the rear cam, but here they are. I positioned the front cam so that it was completely hidden behind the mirror, however it does have a touch screen that can be used to display the speed or show a live view of what it sees. It also may not be possible to completely hide it behind the mirror on Eyesight models.

·
Registered
'18 OB Touring 3.6R Wilderness Green
11 Posts
The front cam installation was very easy, hiding the cable behind the A-pillar was straightforward, and I think I’ll eventually get the hardwire kit to make it even more seamless.
Have you looked into an OBD power cable rather than hardwire kit? That's what I use for my front camera.

·
Registered
2018 Limited 3.6R
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you looked into an OBD power cable rather than hardwire kit? That's what I use for my front camera.

I’ve heard of it but haven’t looked into it too far. Do you like it? Does it still allow parking mode? are there any pros or cons that you know of over the hardwire into fuse box?

·
Registered
'18 OB Touring 3.6R Wilderness Green
11 Posts
My understanding is that it functions identically to the hardwire kit. It does allow parking mode and cuts off if it detects the battery dropping to a certain voltage level. For $13 it was a no-brainer for me to not have to mess with hardwire kits or getting through the firewall.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,675 Posts
You don’t have to go through the firewall to hardwired a dash cam?🤔

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,857 Posts
You don’t have to go through the firewall to hardwired a dash cam?🤔
'hardwire' isn't always 'constant power from the battery'. Of course, even if you DO want persistent power, there are plenty of places to pull that from within the cabin of a vehicle. There's generally a fuse box in the cabin, and there should be a selection of fuses to meet either that need or power switched with the key.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts