Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5, Eyesight all black... Car is named Blackie Carbon.
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to add a Dash Cam to my '18 OB with Eyesight.

What would you suggest?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,412 Posts
I've been happy with my Rexing V1.

I have one in the 3.6, one in the Baja, and I gave one to @vhercules earlier this year.

It works as expected. My biggest complaint is the tape that came with it didn't hold up but 5 minutes with better tape fixes that issue. The footage it captures is very good (I can link some videos if you want)

They have a model that has front and rear cameras.

They also have a newer 4k model I just noticed. Mine is just the 1080p version.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Sparkland. I viewed a few YouTube vids the Viofo was recommended because it uses capacitors and not Lith-ion batteries.

Here in Arizona, battery dash cams are not recommended because of the heat which can cause batteries can overheat and burn. It's going to be 114*F today. My OB is black and will be parked outside for two or three hours today. That should keep my grilled cheese sandwich toasty on the dash.

By the way, that Viofo wasn't rated quite high enough for me on Amazon. My general break point is no more than 6% one-star ratings

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
384 Posts
Thanks Sparkland. I viewed a few YouTube vids the Viofo was recommended because it uses capacitors and not Lith-ion batteries.

Here in Arizona, battery dash cams are not recommended because of the heat which can cause batteries can overheat and burn. It's going to be 114*F today. My OB is black and will be parked outside for two or three hours today. That should keep my grilled cheese sandwich toasty on the dash.

By the way, that Viofo wasn't rated quite high enough for me on Amazon. My general break point is no more than 6% one-star ratings
Like I said, I never had a problem with the two VIOFIO cams we owned. The one thing I would like is dual cams with internet accessibility through my smart phone. It would be nice to be alerted to something going on with the vehicle during the day or especially at night. My son's WRX was sitting outside on the street. My wife heard a noise, but really did not think much of it. Someone (contractor working on bathrooms) from across the street had backed into it and sped off. $2,600 in damage. That is what started the dash cam search.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,659 Posts
I have a Lukas 7900 in my '15 but when it came time to get one for the '18 I went with a VaVa because I like that the camera can be turned around and will work when the car is parked and turned off and will activate if something bumps the car and it turns on using a capacitor for power. It also has a neat feature which is a remote button you can press to either take a picture or if pressed longer will record a 20 second video.

When I purchase it there was an instant coupon which brought the price down to $99.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Spy Tec G1W-C. It has a capacitor, not a battery. It's a great basic dash cam for the money. I bought this as a cheap camera to start with because it has great reviews and I was overwhelmed by all the options out there. Now I want to upgrade to one that is a little more concealed on the windshield, and more importantly, a front/rear facing camera. I would highly recommend this camera if you want a cheap one to start with.

Also, the G1W-C does not play nice with 64gb memory cards contrary to the description on Amazon. Mine would constantly freeze and/or corrupt certain files when I upgraded to a 64gb Sandisk micro-sd. In two years I've never had one problem with my old 5gb micro sd, but 5gb is barely enough for 45mins of footage.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
329 Posts
I've been happy with my Rexing V1.

I have one in the 3.6, one in the Baja, and I gave one to @vhercules earlier this year.

It works as expected. My biggest complaint is the tape that came with it didn't hold up but 5 minutes with better tape fixes that issue. The footage it captures is very good (I can link some videos if you want)

They have a model that has front and rear cameras.

They also have a newer 4k model I just noticed. Mine is just the 1080p version.
Yep the dashcam is good. The 3m tape gave away a couple of times but I have been lazy to get another one and have been reusing it ...

·
Registered
Now have a 2016 Outback 2.5 Limited ... replaced a 2006 Forester
1 Posts
I've been using the Viofo A119S for about a year. Even though it has a capacitor, if it sits parked in the sun and gets too hot, it will reboot itself about every 20-30 seconds. Doesn't seem to be a problem if you are driving with A/C on and temp stays comfortable in car. I figured out that if you remove it from the windshield and let it cool off for a while, either in the console or in front of an A/C duct, it will be OK in a short time. I try to remove it when parked in the sun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm a little dubious about this dash cam.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FPDVT1G/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AGC1J6K28VVNA

Read all the reviews for his dash cam and help me with these questions.

Are those reviews legitimate?

Why are all the reviews posted on 07 AUG 18?

Why are none of the reviewers Verified Purchasers?

Why have the other reviewers supposedly purchased the very same five other products? Screen protectors and headphones?

Why are all those other product reviews by the dash cam reviewers also all posted on 07 AUG 18?

Why are all the reviews so similar in style, length and composition?

It appears there are now some new reviews posted 15 AUG 18. Do you see anything curious about those?

·
Registered
63 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 "Blue Diamond"/2018 Forester 2.5 "Shady"
47 Posts
Been using Blackvue for 3 Subies already. Currently running 900 dual with Magic Pro battery pack. The Forrester running 750 dual with hardwire Magic Pro. Been 3 months and everything holds up well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
26 Posts
Dashcam for 2019 Limited

As anyone added a dash cam to the new 2019 OB Limited with Pkg #24?

Looking at the BlackVue DR900S-2CH, as we want front and rear cameras, parking coverage, cloud backup, and hardwired.

Non-DIY Installation: dealer? audio shop?

Any other suggestions for cam or install welcomed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts