Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited. I’m wondering if anyone can tell me how to remove the plastic mesh speaker covers from the dash board on the driver and passenger side. The mesh cover for the speaker in the top center of the dash was held on with some plastic clips and came off easy... the covers on the driver and passenger side will not come off by prying on them. Starting to think maybe they are held on by screws on the under side of the dash. Any info on how to remove these suckers would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
Hey everyone, I have a 2016 Outback 2.5i Limited. I’m wondering if anyone can tell me how to remove the plastic mesh speaker covers from the dash board on the driver and passenger side. The mesh cover for the speaker in the top center of the dash was held on with some plastic clips and came off easy... the covers on the driver and passenger side will not come off by prying on them. Starting to think maybe they are held on by screws on the under side of the dash. Any info on how to remove these suckers would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!
I'm pretty sure they just pry off - it seems to be the same in all recent Subarus - it's the same in my 2020 Outback as it is in the following video:

(btw I would use a trim tool not a screwdriver)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! I am just not having any luck, I gave up because I was prying so hard that it broke the mesh and the clips still won’t come undone haha

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
11,262 Posts
Thanks for the response! I am just not having any luck, I gave up because I was prying so hard that it broke the mesh and the clips still won’t come undone haha
Wow you broke the mesh? That's awful to hear. I hope someone else with your model chimes in, but since the mesh is already broken, are you afraid to just yank the heck out of it? Hopefully you've ordered a replacement speaker grille - if you look at the parts diagram you'll see they're not held in with screws.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m not really sure why the clips won’t let go, since it’s already broken I tried just pulling it out but it will not give. I can’t get it to come loose.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2.5 with Eyesight. 19mm Rear Sway Bar. Steering Dampener Lock Down. HID upgrade from retrofit source.
218 Posts
I just replaced those speakers a few weeks ago. I found it was easier to remove them after I pulled the a pillar trim off too. The A pillar trim is held in by a clip of two. Pry out from the top near the headliner. Once it pops out about 4 inches, There is a plastic retaining lanyard that needs to be removed, and then just pull it out another few inches and lift it out of where it sits next to the speaker grille, towards the cabin of the car. Then, you can pry on the side of the speaker grille where it has trouble releasing from the dash.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I’ll wait a week or 2 and try again. It’s currently 30 degrees where I am and I feel like the plastic is just too stiff.. I’ll wait for the next heat wave and give it another go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts