Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing 2 weeks ago. Looked just like that. Turned out to be the stupid gas cap just didn't click how it wanted... can't believe I didn't think to check that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Valid points I suppose. Honda and Toyota vehicles never have problems. I have no idea why everybody doesn't drive those. :rolleyes:
All vehicles have problems, but my personal experience is what I can speak from. I’ve had 5 Honda’s And other than routine maintenance - my accord needed a new alternator at 140k, s2000 no issues, pilot no issues, fit had no issues, civic needed a motor mount at 110k. Toyota Avalon zero issues.
two Subaru’s- more problems I’m 3 or 4 years of ownership than any other vehicles we have owned aside from my heavily modified 1984 grand wagoneer that I drove until 2000.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Mine did the exact same thing 2 weeks ago. Looked just like that. Turned out to be the stupid gas cap just didn't click how it wanted... can't believe I didn't think to check that.
Realm, lucky you, I played around with the cap for the last three days, but it doesn't seem to be the issue.
The reader registered a P0560 code (system voltage)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
All vehicles have problems, but my personal experience is what I can speak from. I’ve had 5 Honda’s And other than routine maintenance - my accord needed a new alternator at 140k, s2000 no issues, pilot no issues, fit had no issues, civic needed a motor mount at 110k. Toyota Avalon zero issues.
two Subaru’s- more problems I’m 3 or 4 years of ownership than any other vehicles we have owned aside from my heavily modified 1984 grand wagoneer that I drove until 2000.
spinnb7, OMG you have a wagoneer, my wife has been bugging me for since last year she wants a Wagoneer after she watched ( Breaking Bad and This is US) shows. but these gems are hard to find. And even if I find one they are pretty expensive. lucky you.(y)

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Valid points I suppose. Honda and Toyota vehicles never have problems. I have no idea why everybody doesn't drive those. :rolleyes:
Of course they have issues, all automakers have always had issues of one sort or another.

Compared to Honda and Toyota, Subaru sells a small number of cars in the US. Last year Toyota sold 2 million vehicles and Honda sold 1.6 million. Subaru a mere 700k. One might expect that if you are selling so few vehicles, they might be of better quality. Unfortunately Subaru keeps dropping in quality ranking.

Last year Subaru announced they would be spending a billion dollars over the next five years on improving quality control. If a company needs to spend that much money on QC, the current state of the QC must be pretty bad.

Reactions: spinnb7

·
Registered
11 Posts
spinnb7, OMG you have a wagoneer, my wife has been bugging me for since last year she wants a Wagoneer after she watched ( Breaking Bad and This is US) shows. but these gems are hard to find. And even if I find one they are pretty expensive. lucky you.(y)
had. I wish I still had it but it was expensive to keep running. My dad bought it new in 84, and gave it to me when I graduated high school. I had it lifted on 35" tires, big stereo, it was a lot of fun but a lot of trouble (got me in a lot of trouble). They are fetching top dollar now.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,974 Posts
Last year Subaru announced they would be spending a billion dollars over the next five years on improving quality control. If a company needs to spend that much money on QC, the current state of the QC must be pretty bad.
That number is meaningless. How much do the other companies spend on QC? Whatever that number is does it also mean the current state of their QC is pretty bad?

We all know you just love to hate on Subaru for any reason that comes up on any given day.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,927 Posts
Unfortunately Subaru keeps dropping in quality ranking.
Source? Subaru has consistently been in the top five in Consumer Reports' quality and reliability rankings for the past decade.

If a company needs to spend that much money on QC, the current state of the QC must be pretty bad.
That's the "glass half empty" interpretation, for sure. It's equally possible that the expenditure signals Subaru's continued commitment to quality in an increasingly competitive market with ever-shorter design cycles.

Reactions: Danver

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6l Touring
90 Posts
Mine did this 3 times in a 25 mile stretch of freeway. Pulled to the shoulder each time shut off engine and restarted. The Third time it never came back. Dealer was unable to duplicate the problem. Take pictures when or if it happens and drive straight to dealer without shutting the car off is the only advice I can offer. 20K miles later and it has not happened again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Mine did this 3 times in a 25 mile stretch of freeway. Pulled to the shoulder each time shut off engine and restarted. The Third time it never came back. Dealer was unable to duplicate the problem. Take pictures when or if it happens and drive straight to dealer without shutting the car off is the only advice I can offer. 20K miles later and it has not happened again.
cgmkcm, I did take it to the dealer and they see all the warnings, they said it is a voltage system issue. it could be costly

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,927 Posts
The Outback "voltage system" is actually pretty simple. There are only four active components that comprise it: the battery, the alternator, the ECM, and the battery temperature/current sensor. Passive components are the power wiring, connectors, and fuses.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The "voltage system" is actually pretty simple. There are only four active components that comprise it: the battery, the alternator, the ECM, and the battery current sensor. Passive components are the power wiring, connectors, and fuses.
ammcinnis, thank you for the feedback. its either the battery or the alternator. because the car didn't start twice already once in January and the second time was in early June. I called the AAA to reboot the car, and the technician said you might want to check your alternator. I am hoping this will be the issue but not the ECM

·
Registered
69 Posts
I came back from being out of town for a week and every light (or so it seemed) stayed on. A rodent had chewed through the engine temp sensor wire and with no reading to the computer, it cascades from there. Actually my dealer guessed the problem over the phone. He didn’t know which wire, of course. That did generate a temp sensor error code. $700. Hard to get to, I’m told.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts