Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited CVT w/ SAP, Brilliant Brown Pearl
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

The interwebs has produced a lot of viral videos about some crazy stuff regarding Russians and their dashboard cams. My favorite probably being the one with the overturned truck spilling a load of cows.

Truck full of cows crashed - YouTube

This has got me thinking. A lot of car companies have been introducing a lot of new safety features using cameras and a whole lot of sensors for safety and crash avoidance. Case in point, Subaru has introduced the new eyesight system and other companies with back-up cams. Despite all these new advances you can NEVER stop a car from plowing in to you and accidents do and will continue to happen.

My question or rather suggestion is, why haven't car companies at least played with the option of having a dashboard camera dvr type system built in to their technology? I'd figure being able to record license plate numbers as well as actual video footage of an accident would be just as useful as having sensors for accident avoidance. I've had a couple coworkers in past year been in some mild to fairly severe car accidents. Even after several months, some are still dealing with legal battles regarding details surrounding their accidents that could have been mediated with some more evidence.

Anywho, sorry for the rant but my question to you all is do any of you use dashboard cams on a daily basis outside of work purposes (i.e. police/truck dash cams)? If so, any particular brands that are better than others?

I've quickly looked and there are options that range from $30 to around $300+ for dash cam dvr type products. I'd figure if I get around purchasing one, perhaps $60 for a dash cam is a very small investment to help alleviate any potential accident issues.

Thank you and happy new year to you all!

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Cameras are not cheap. Some high end mfg offer it for the front and side because thier cars are just huge roilling blind spots. The cameras that are in cars now do not record images, they just are drivers aids.

Go Video seems to be the most popular. I am debating getting one myself.

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Just remember that recording could also go against you if you happen to be at fault in an accident. Then your $60 of piece of mind could potentially cost you everything you have.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
...and in america, the carmakers could get sued for the video recorder not recording the right thing. Why add the expense?

Adding a gopro gets better video anyway.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
Having a dashboard camera wouldn't benefit the car manufacturer because in the sense you're talking about, it would only be useful post-accident. If it was even feasible, I would guess it would come from the insurance companies. But as mentioned above, it could be used against you as well.

In the end, there are significantly more people who do NOT get in to accidents than those who do, so since having a dash cam offers no safety benefit, seems like a waste IMHO.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i have been toying with the idea of getting a gopro to record my daily commute.

every now and then there is something worth capturing on video - lol.

a few weeks ago a sport bike lost control and slammed into a concrete median... i could have easily made that available to local PD or CHP.

it's just an idea i've been playing with in my head but might do that this year.

and, if i do, i will def go with a go pro.

joel

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Limited CVT w/ SAP, Brilliant Brown Pearl
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input all. I've definitely been looking at Go Pro (especially the new Hero3) not as a dash cam but for when I go snowboarding and such. Go Pro's are definitely not a cheap option but they would surely be a great dash cam.

Good points on having it be a liability in case (knock on wood) I'm at fault.

·
Registered
05 Outback XT, 87 Toyota MR2
5 Posts
I have a $40 ebay dash camera setup right above my rearview mirror. Worth every penny. IMO save the gopro for planned events you want to record, with my dedicated dash cam it turns on with the car and starts recording, shut the car off, it stays on to save the file and shuts off. i dont have to touch a button. One example i've recorded.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
One example i've recorded.
Dang close! Looks like the guy turning left ran a yellow and the van ran a red. You were lucky the guy turning left was there or you probably would have moved into the vans path when your light turned green..... Way too close!!!

I got one after almost being car-jacked and feel unprotected when I'm driving my truck without the cam. Weird to feel that way but better have proof you were in the right or at least exactly what happened in front of you.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I bought a GS1000 dash cam not too long ago after a third accident within a short period. ( people here in Louisiana don't recognize stop signs/lights) . I would buy an inexpensive dash cam for everyday use. I'm glad I purchased one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My main reason for getting one was an altercation with a big rig driver that was reversing and backed into my car, I spend 9 months going back and forth with the insurance company, finally was awarded not at fault.
A week later, a guy crossed 4 lanes of stopped traffic to make a left turn over double solid yellow lines, my wife tapped him as he stuck the front of his car in her lane, again after 10 months of waiting and back and forth, she was found 51% at fault and him 49%.

So now, all 3 cars got dash cams.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
My main reason for getting one was an altercation with a big rig driver that was reversing and backed into my car, I spend 9 months going back and forth with the insurance company, finally was awarded not at fault.
A week later, a guy crossed 4 lanes of stopped traffic to make a left turn over double solid yellow lines, my wife tapped him as he stuck the front of his car in her lane, again after 10 months of waiting and back and forth, she was found 51% at fault and him 49%.

One can never be too careful. Heck my coworker set up a camera recording the front of his house...someone was steeling his Christmas lights...

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
618 Posts

What dash cams did you buy? After recently being rammed by a road raging tractor trailer driver I'm seriously considering this.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I purchased a V1000GS, but there are tons out there.

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
I bought the BlackVue DR400G-HD II and am mostly happy with it. Small, great mounting, quality video but no review in car. Must pull the card and playback on laptop. Pricey but I got mine for $203 including shipping. I bought it the day I almost got carjacked! That sure made up my mind.....

Found this during a review of the parking mode video of a tire repair.

Car Care 101 - YouTube

And this was just a drive with the sun reflecting off the windshield.

West Cliff dr. - YouTube

·
Registered
2008 OBXTLtd 5MT
52 Posts
Dang close! Looks like the guy turning left ran a yellow and the van ran a red. You were lucky the guy turning left was there or you probably would have moved into the vans path when your light turned green..... Way too close!!!

I got one after almost being car-jacked and feel unprotected when I'm driving my truck without the cam. Weird to feel that way but better have proof you were in the right or at least exactly what happened in front of you.

Car-jacked? In the Santa Cruz mountains? Hi neighbor.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
03 Outback H6 base
252 Posts
Car-jacked? In the Santa Cruz mountains? Hi neighbor.
Nope, San Jose. I followed my new GPS @ 5:30am looking for a breakfast place near Lawrence Expressway.... Two guys; one blocking each lane the road. I split them with it floored as soon as I recognized what they were doing. The one on my right hit the car with something metal and put a 4 inch scar the right rear side window. I figure I got lucky...:gasp:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts