Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the temperature dipped below freezing, my '04 Outback Wagon developed a popping noise in the dashboard cap leading edge (near defrost vents). The noise occurs only when driving across uneven pavement. Apparently, the dashboard cap or something underneath it is shifting - and those are not moving parts.

Conveniently, no one at the dealership nor the regional manager can hear what is obvious to me. One mechanic agreed with me in private that he heard the noise, but now claims the noise is gone.

I know when I'm getting the shaft. Besides the lemon law and other litigation, does anyone have suggestions on resolving my problem? I'd rather fix this vehicle instead of replacing it with another, but the noise is driving me mad.

·
Submod , ,
3,022 Posts
I highly recommend writing SOA as they have been very responsive in the past to individual customers including a friend of mine. I suggested to her that she put our in-house lawyer's name, our local better business bureau's name and the attorney general's name on the CC so that SOA would see that she was serious... It worked, and very quickly I might add. This also worked for a member of our board in New Zealand: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=15050#post15050
Give it a try.

Good luck

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
We had the perfect weather for hearing that yesterday - rain changing to snow, so the car body has water that froze in the crevices. That's when you hear creaks ...

Just pulling out of the apartment lot yesterday, up a little apron to the road level, I could hear several pops and cracks around the windshield.

My first thought was, got to get a front strut tower bar...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Every make and model will have some sort of popping with weather changes etc. Materials expand and contract with the weather. I have heard $100,000.00 cars do it. Just normal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
skiteer617
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing