Subaru Outback Forums banner

Do you have a dashboard rattle in weather under 60 degrees and with the gas pressed?

• Yes

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 42.1%
1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited Carbide Grey
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2015 2.5 Limited Outback. I have had the car since March of 15, live in Massachusetts, and have 9,000 miles on it.

Problem: Last week I started hearing a rattle in the left/drivers side of the dashboard. i have removed all sunglasses, items from glove and mid seat compartment and everything from the doors. The rattle is still intermittent and most notable between 25-40mph. I have not taken it to the dealer yet. I drove the car last March, when it was noticeably colder and this rattle was not present. It has not been present in the warmer weather either. I dont know if weather has anything to do with it. I don't recall hitting a pothole or anything to make things settle into a rattle.

Does anyone have experience with a rattle? Any resolutions?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got a dash rattle. Happens intermittently but mostly on dirt roads or rough pavement.

Initially I imagined it to be a wiring loom rattling against something. Luckily it turned out to be the center speaker grill. The left rear corner is slightly lifted and pressing on it stops the rattle.

I'm creating a list of things for the dealer to remedy before I drop it off but I'm sure they'll be able to take care of it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a dash rattle. Happens intermittently but mostly on dirt roads or rough pavement.

Initially I imagined it to be a wiring loom rattling against something. Luckily it turned out to be the center speaker grill. The left rear corner is slightly lifted and pressing on it stops the rattle.

I'm creating a list of things for the dealer to remedy before I drop it off but I'm sure they'll be able to take care of it.
Thanks! I will have to take a closer look at the center speaker grill. I did notice it is raised a bit in the front left corner, but didnt think it could make this rattle. Probably doesnt take much.

What other items have you noticed?

So far, I have the rattle, wind noise from the drivers side (not terrible and maybe I am listening too hard for it, but compared to rentals I drive for work, it is more pronounced), the leather on the steering wheel appears to peel off at the spokes.

·
Registered
16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
470 Posts
I have mine also, seems to be coming behind the instruments or next to the central air grill. But only shows when it's cold, and nothing at all in warm warm weather, so I'm waiting for the next couple of weeks to take it to dealer. I purchased mine on March 10, and it did develop few weeks after, and then disappeared when it warmed up, so I forgot about it, but now reappearing on cold nights. And it shows on rough roads.

·
Registered
59 Posts
What other items have you noticed?
Three flaws in the paint
Irregular finish on two of the wheels
Nav issues
Curve at the top of rear gate does not follow body contour
Possible alignment issue
Flapping noise near top of drivers side b pillar
Grease marks on the front windows
Headlights seem to be misaligned (irregular cut off line)

That's my list so far. I may have forgotten a couple though...

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/nav/eye
366 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2015 2.5 Limited Outback. I have had the car since March of 15, live in Massachusetts, and have 9,000 miles on it.

Problem: Last week I started hearing a rattle in the left/drivers side of the dashboard. i have removed all sunglasses, items from glove and mid seat compartment and everything from the doors. The rattle is still intermittent and most notable between 25-40mph. I have not taken it to the dealer yet. I drove the car last March, when it was noticeably colder and this rattle was not present. It has not been present in the warmer weather either. I dont know if weather has anything to do with it. I don't recall hitting a pothole or anything to make things settle into a rattle.

Does anyone have experience with a rattle? Any resolutions?
that it was your es assy???

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have one in in my 2014, only intermittently and not loud at all.

But I'd rather see it gone. I can understand new fangled technology and options not quite working, but car makers have been building cars with stuff behind the dashboard for many, many decades. Most manufacturers long ago figured out how to do this so that rattles did not occur. But apparently Subaru ain't figured it out yet.

Otherwise I like the car, but that is such a simple thing to have messed up.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you're referring to a difference between the left and right headlight, the left may be intentionally aligned to be a tad lower than the right to reduce the 'dazzling' to oncoming traffic.

Previous vehicles I've owned were the same, and IIRC one of them documented this in the users manual section about replacing the bulbs.
No, I've got a V shaped dip in the center of the pattern. As though one light should be focused closer to the center. If it wasn't dead center it wouldn't bother me much.

·
Registered
16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
470 Posts
To update on this for my rattle behind the instrument cluster, took it to dealer early this week morning this week. Dealer kept car overnight, and called me next day saying it was ready. I went there, they said they removed radio and center speaker was loose ( and sound travels to the front of the driver where I hear it). I tried it, and rattle was still same. They kept the car also for two more days and removed the complete dash, and called me yesterday late afternoon that it was ready, and they found the source in the instrument panel. I went to pick it up, tried it and rattle was there, same thing, and after removing and reinstalling dash, now I have squeaks on the right side as a bonus. They said they worked 7 1/2 hours, and now they'll have to remove dash again. So I have to bring it again, and my Ivory leather is partly black form dirt ( nobody used covering on the seat while working ), my dash is all greasy fingers as well as the windshield ; They will do detailing after it's done .

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To update on this for my rattle behind the instrument cluster, took it to dealer early this week morning this week. Dealer kept car overnight, and called me next day saying it was ready. I went there, they said they removed radio and center speaker was loose ( and sound travels to the front of the driver where I hear it). I tried it, and rattle was still same. They kept the car also for two more days and removed the complete dash, and called me yesterday late afternoon that it was ready, and they found the source in the instrument panel. I went to pick it up, tried it and rattle was there, same thing, and after removing and reinstalling dash, now I have squeaks on the right side as a bonus. They said they worked 7 1/2 hours, and now they'll have to remove dash again. So I have to bring it again, and my Ivory leather is partly black form dirt ( nobody used covering on the seat while working ), my dash is all greasy fingers as well as the windshield ; They will do detailing after it's done .
Please keep me posted on your situation. I am taking mine in next Friday to identify and fix the noise.

I have pushed down on the middle speaker and the rattle is still there, and I have gently pushed and played with the eyesight assembly and it does not appear to be coming from there either.

It is really present when accelerating at speeds from 20-45 and in temperatures from 30 to 55. Warmer than 55, and it doesn't appear to be present. And faster than 45 and slower than 20 and its not present.

Ripping out the dash 3/4 times, does not sound like a fun experience. I would prefer to just place some foam tape on the culprit. I just cant narrow down the culprit and maybe I wont be able to without taking out the dash. Argh!

·
Registered
16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
470 Posts
I will let you know the outcome. My appointment is Monday next week. My eyesight housing or eyeglass holder do not do any rattles, and issue is only in cold weather, but regardless of speed, just on bad roads and seems to be coming right in between the speedometer and RPM, but I read many times that interior sounds could be misleading. We'll see what happens. Service manager is not happy to spend so much time on the car, and they're giving me a loaner every time. Now they say they opened a line with Subaru Tech line to search for comparable issue with other dealers in North America if any. We'll see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Zeiter - Thanks for continuing to update your experiences with that rattle. Your rattle sounds very similar to what I'm experiencing with my 2016 Outback (late-August 2016 build). In addition to the issue you're describing, I also have rattling from the overhead console. I took the car in two weeks ago and, of course, they "could not replicate" the issue. I even drove with the Service Advisor but it was my bad luck that all the roads around the dealership were in good condition so I couldn't make it happen while he was in the car with me.

On my way home - about 12 miles - it all started happening again as soon as I got on a road that wasn't pretty much perfect. I have taken video/audio of the problem and I'm going to make an appointment for next week and leave the car at the dealership while I'm on vacation.

I'll do an update on what happens when I'm back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
2015 new OB vibration noise during acceleration

My new 2015 OB (got it on 2014/12) after three months, I found there is always noise like vibration when I push the gas pad to accelerate at the speed of 20-40 mi/h on the road at the first time driving and even restart driving after stopped for long time each day! If I take my foot off the gas pad the vibration noise stops. It's sounds like the metal or hard plastics vibration noise. It is getting louder and be getting worse now! But if after I drove at a high speed on the high way for while or stop in short time and restart it, the noise will be disappear.
I sent the car to the dealer for almost two months, and was told they even had a manufacturer engineer and a Japan engineer checked many places and tried couple of fixes but the noise is still happening.
Below is the dealer's service comments:
rATTLING NOISE CONTINUE FROM LINE 1
TEST DROVE AND CONFIRMED RATTLE COMING FROM DRIVERS FRONT AREA. TEST DROVE WITH CHASSIS EARS ON SEVERAL COMPONENTS BOTH INSIDE AND OUT SIDE OF VEHICLE AND COULD NOT PIN POINT NOISE. SECURED AC LINES, BRAKE LINES AND FUELS LINES TO KEEP THEM FROM MOVING. TEST DROVE AND RATTLE WAS STILL THERE.
REMOVED WIPER COWL TO ISOLATE NOISE AND TEST DROVE AND NOISE IS STILL THERE. REMOVED AIR BOX INLET AND SECURED UNDER HOOD INSULATION TEST DROVE AND RATTLE IS STILL PRESENT. REMOVED LOWER SPLASH SHIELD TO INSPECT EXHAUST FOUND NO LOOSE HEAT SHIELDS AND MOUNTING POINTS. FIELD SERVICE ENGINEER BILL SANDERS CAME TO HELP DIAGNOSE ISSUE. TEST DROVE AND RATTLE IS STILL THERE. REMOVED WHEEL LINER AND FOUND HOOD RELEASE CABLE CONTACTING SEVERAL PARTS OF THE BODY. INSULATED HOOD
RELEASE CABLE TEST DROVE but the RATTLE is still there.

The dealer agreed to ask a new manufacturer engineer to come to check my car again.

If anyone had/has the same issue or similar experience with your Subaru? and any suggestions and fixes?

Thanks and regards.

·
Registered
White /Ivory 2015 OB Limited 2.5 Eyesight
985 Posts
If the noise stops after driving it awhile --that sounds heat related --exaust, heat shield, manifold etc. Sounds like your dealer service dept is working on it.
They will find it for you --unlike a Honda CRV that has thousands of 15s out running around with rough idle and vibrations -- and it took them 6 months to admit "there may be an issue". Early in the year (till june or July)they were basically "laughing off "any complaints like the customers had .
This is the main reason I am "happy as a lark" with my 15 Outback-- we started out to buy a CRV-- thank God I test drove two of them.
Subaru WILL take care of your problem one way or another.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,386 Posts
is it only a noise or are there any vibrations too?

will it do it on a lift if it's accelerated or only while driving?

if it won't do it on a lift then it's likely suspension or air flow related.

given the struggle to figure this out I'd probably do that test next.

undercover
wheel well liner

could look at an exploded view diagram and list every part on there.

·
Registered
2015 O/B Premium w e/s
147 Posts
Hey, try and do a YouTube video of this rattle in action with your cellphone. Then link it hear. We got some powerful and creative techs on this here blog. If they hear it they can fix it. Or at least bounce a few more ideas you way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
is it only a noise or are there any vibrations too?

will it do it on a lift if it's accelerated or only while driving?

if it won't do it on a lift then it's likely suspension or air flow related.

given the struggle to figure this out I'd probably do that test next.

undercover
wheel well liner

could look at an exploded view diagram and list every part on there.
Sounds only a noise; there is no actually vibration;
Only happens during the driving and push the gas pad to give the gas; when take my foot off the gas pad the noise stops;

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,386 Posts
Do you have any inclination whether this is mechanical in nature or just a plastic part flapping around?

Can you describe the noise a little more specifically:
1. noise is identical under very light throttle or heavy throttle?

2. noise is higher with heavier throttle

3. does it change if you're driving flat verses giving it gas up a steep grade?

I'd want to try it up on a lift with the wheels in the air...the tests I indicated in my last post.

I'm hesitant to say this with such a new car and seemingly noise related only but *in general* - a mechanical issue noise while under load/while giving it gas on an older Subaru is almost always:
1. front differential
2. inner front axle joints

But this is a bizarre issue, new car, and so far you haven't indicated it's mechanical in nature at all....so seems unlikely.

·
Registered
'15 2.5L Outback Eyesite Blk
99 Posts
So, you've had the car three months and two months of that time it's been at the dealer. SOA has confirmed the problem and can't solve it. Ask them to buy it back and get a new Outback.

1 - 20 of 222 Posts