Subaru Outback Forums banner

Do you have a dashboard rattle in weather under 60 degrees and with the gas pressed?

• Yes

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 42.1%
181 - 200 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited w/ Eyesight - Magnetite Gray
71 Posts
Hey all, I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd bump it because it helped me out a lot.

2016 2.5i Premium here. As the weather got colder this season I started noticing a vibration / rattle that appeared to be coming from behind the gauge cluster. It was usually between 20 and 40mph, between 1100 and 1600 RPMs, only present in Drive, and always more present on cold days and in the first 20 minutes of driving before the car is fully warmed up.

I HATE rattles, especially on new cars that shouldn't have them, and this was making me crazy! I spent hours driving around trying to locate the problem with no success. I found myself not wanting to drive because I didn't want to think about the problem any more.

I was reluctant to take it to the dealership since I've done a bunch of interior / dash work and assumed that they'd blame the rattle on the cabling and the dash / headliner disassembly work I did for my extra 12v switch, backup cam switch and dashcam install.

Anyway, I started searching for posts about similar problems, and found this thread, and the problem identified here was definitely my problem. As soon as I moved the transmission ground cable away from the air box, the problem was totally resolved.

I thought I'd bump it and post some pics and details in case anyone is new to this issue for the cold weather that's starting to come on.

The offending wire is in the engine bay against the firewall near the center. (pic 1). It's a red-black ground wire connecting the transmission to the frame. (pics 2 and 3). It rattles against the black plastic air intake ducting. (pic 4)

I suggest unclipping the nearby gray wiring connector and re-routing the ground wire to underneath the connector instead of over (pic 5). This will keep it from ever vibrating against the air box.

Hope this helps someone as much as it helped me, and many thanks to all the folks who worked hard to find this solution last winter. I never would have guessed that a rattle that seemed like it was coming from behind the speedometer was a wire in the engine bay.
Thank you! I also had this issue on 2018 - so incredibly annoying. I am still on the hunt for several other rattles/vibrations, but this one seems to be gone now. Sounded like a jet turbine winding down. Thanks again to all that helped identify this issue!!

·
Registered
2020 OB 2.5 Limited
198 Posts
one of the other rattles I found in my 17 OB was outside at the bottom inside corners of the A-Pillars where the black wiper tray curves up the to the A-Pillar/windshield outside. There are black plastic trim pieces there that are loose and rattle. On my 18 OB they seem tight so far. I had tried to wedge a piece of soft rubber under both sides to tighten it up.

·
Registered
2018 2.5i Premium
83 Posts
My 2018 has had this buzz when cold since I brought it home. I moved the grounding wire under the two other wires and it seemed to solve the problem. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Twilight Blue/Ivory
273 Posts
The offending wire is in the engine bay against the firewall near the center. (pic 1). It's a red-black ground wire connecting the transmission to the frame. (pics 2 and 3). It rattles against the black plastic air intake ducting. (pic 4)
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ttle-anyone-else-resolved-16.html#post4327505

I can't believe I didn't see this solution earlier. You should post a separate thread about this so it doesn't get so easily overlooked. I can't thank you enough for helping to save my sanity from this mind numbing rattle!

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5 Limited
143 Posts
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ttle-anyone-else-resolved-16.html#post4327505

I can't believe I didn't see this solution earlier. You should post a separate thread about this so it doesn't get so easily overlooked. I can't thank you enough for helping to save my sanity from this mind numbing rattle!
This thread is awesome. It helped me fix two of my rattles I had. The first one was the cable in the engine bay hitting the airbox when the car was cold. And the second was the Eyesight housing rattle.

Taking the eyesight housing apart helped me figure out that the sunglasses compartment would rattle just a little bit because the rubber stopper did not hold it tight enough. I added another rubber stopper and the rattle is gone. Also added weather stripping foam to help the eyesight stay in tighter and reduce the chance of vibrations and rattles.

Driving is soooo much more relaxing without the car making all kinds of noises.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Limited
40 Posts
I'm eager to see if this is a culprit on my vehicle. Does anyone have a suggestion that doesn't involve clipping wires? For now, I've just kind of bent the wire out of the way, but I doubt it will stay that way. AND, the temperature is warming up, so I may not even know if it worked until next winter. (And a huge thanks to everyone that posted these helpful pics and tips!)

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have 17 3.6 r which has the same rattle when the car is cold and when it goes over bumps.
Can anyone post pic of what they did to their 3.6

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have you gotten an answer on what is causing it? I have the same problem with my 2018 outback premium, and every time the technician drove it - no rattle sound. It is driving me crazy, and I stopped at the dealer for the 3 time this morning on my way to work, played a recording of the rattle sound from today. The technician told me he would have to get approval form the foreman to take apart the dash and figure out what is causing it.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,279 Posts
Hey all, I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd bump it because it helped me out a lot.

2016 2.5i Premium here. As the weather got colder this season I started noticing a vibration / rattle that appeared to be coming from behind the gauge cluster. It was usually between 20 and 40mph, between 1100 and 1600 RPMs, only present in Drive, and always more present on cold days and in the first 20 minutes of driving before the car is fully warmed up.

I HATE rattles, especially on new cars that shouldn't have them, and this was making me crazy! I spent hours driving around trying to locate the problem with no success. I found myself not wanting to drive because I didn't want to think about the problem any more.

I was reluctant to take it to the dealership since I've done a bunch of interior / dash work and assumed that they'd blame the rattle on the cabling and the dash / headliner disassembly work I did for my extra 12v switch, backup cam switch and dashcam install.

Anyway, I started searching for posts about similar problems, and found this thread, and the problem identified here was definitely my problem. As soon as I moved the transmission ground cable away from the air box, the problem was totally resolved.

I thought I'd bump it and post some pics and details in case anyone is new to this issue for the cold weather that's starting to come on.

I suggest unclipping the nearby gray wiring connector and re-routing the ground wire to underneath the connector instead of over (pic 5). This will keep it from ever vibrating against the air box.

Hope this helps someone as much as it helped me, and many thanks to all the folks who worked hard to find this solution last winter. I never would have guessed that a rattle that seemed like it was coming from behind the speedometer was a wire in the engine bay.

This post should be edited into the original post, or you should make your own thread. This post is buried in page 16 of this thread on my browser. I know about this post only because you happened to reference this post in another thread.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts

Problem solved here. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Premium w/ES 2002 2.5 OB 142k mi
301 Posts
This post should be edited into the original post, or you should make your own thread. This post is buried in page 16 of this thread on my browser. I know about this post only because you happened to reference this post in another thread.
Nonsense. We don't need yet another thread,

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Navigation
3,279 Posts
No- When I was looking at a solution for my dash rattle I read every post on at least 2 gen 5 dash rattle threads.
Then you prefer not to highlight your found solution for others. Swell guy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks to this thread i was able to remedy this noise. As a indy tech, i get a lot of NVH complaints and im surprised the noise traveled to were it sounded like it was coming from inside the car.

181 - 200 of 223 Posts