Subaru Outback Forums banner

Do you have a dashboard rattle in weather under 60 degrees and with the gas pressed?

• Yes

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 42.1%
201 - 220 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight - Lapis Blue Pearl
69 Posts
Another happy zip-tie customer.

Thank you, Tyler and novasquid! This rattle/vibration had been especially annoying because 1200-1400 rpm is right in the sweet spot for my style of driving, and I dreaded the return of cold weather knowing I'd be listening to that sound for most of the drive, unless I either cranked the radio or the heat.

I'm going to print out Tyler's post with the pictures and bring it the service department at our local dealer. I had brought the car in twice for this specific noise, and first time they said they couldn't repro it, so I took a tech for a ride the second time. He heard it, but of course couldn't locate the root cause, and advised against "exploratory surgery" on the dash.

Now, off to the other couple of rattles/vibrations that have moved up on the hit list.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey all, I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd bump it because it helped me out a lot.

2016 2.5i Premium here. As the weather got colder this season I started noticing a vibration / rattle that appeared to be coming from behind the gauge cluster. It was usually between 20 and 40mph, between 1100 and 1600 RPMs, only present in Drive, and always more present on cold days and in the first 20 minutes of driving before the car is fully warmed up.

I HATE rattles, especially on new cars that shouldn't have them, and this was making me crazy! I spent hours driving around trying to locate the problem with no success. I found myself not wanting to drive because I didn't want to think about the problem any more.

I was reluctant to take it to the dealership since I've done a bunch of interior / dash work and assumed that they'd blame the rattle on the cabling and the dash / headliner disassembly work I did for my extra 12v switch, backup cam switch and dashcam install.

Anyway, I started searching for posts about similar problems, and found this thread, and the problem identified here was definitely my problem. As soon as I moved the transmission ground cable away from the air box, the problem was totally resolved.

I thought I'd bump it and post some pics and details in case anyone is new to this issue for the cold weather that's starting to come on.

The offending wire is in the engine bay against the firewall near the center. (pic 1). It's a red-black ground wire connecting the transmission to the frame. (pics 2 and 3). It rattles against the black plastic air intake ducting. (pic 4)

I suggest unclipping the nearby gray wiring connector and re-routing the ground wire to underneath the connector instead of over (pic 5). This will keep it from ever vibrating against the air box.

Hope this helps someone as much as it helped me, and many thanks to all the folks who worked hard to find this solution last winter. I never would have guessed that a rattle that seemed like it was coming from behind the speedometer was a wire in the engine bay.
Thanks for this write up! I have had the exact same rattle. Just re-routed the ground wire to underneath the gray connector. We will see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,621 Posts
I had an extremely annoying buzz at low speed under mild acceleration after a recent transmission repair. Over the course of a week, the noise would come and go, and seemed to be loudest in the vicinity of the footwell. Dealer took it back and tightened up the heat shield. Same noise returned later that day. After a brief period of panic that they might have just loused up my beautifully smooth, quiet six cylinder, I remembered this thread. The transmission grounding wire was making contact as described here, and I moved it, but I think the real problem was as described in post #112 of this thread:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forum...ttle-anyone-else-resolved-12.html#post3511273

That metal crimp was right up against the plastic, with a perfect amount of spring to get a loud rattle going under the right conditions. Wrapped it with foam and not a peep since.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So in my '13 outback I have this exact same rattle and I moved the ground wire and it still exists around 1200-1600 rpm. For me it is actually worse in warmer weather and in the winter it fades away. Any other suggestions??

Also, does anyone know if there is a thread regarding this rattle for the gen 4s? I have looked but have not found one yet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,621 Posts
So in my '13 outback I have this exact same rattle and I moved the ground wire and it still exists around 1200-1600 rpm. For me it is actually worse in warmer weather and in the winter it fades away. Any other suggestions??...
Did you check the post I just linked to above?

There are numerous "rattle" threads in the Gen 4 forum. Cut and paste this into google and see for yourself:

rattle low speed site:subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/

·
Registered
17' Outback Touring 3.6R
281 Posts
Funny. I developed a rattle that sounds like it's behind the driver dash. Sounds exactly like a wire vibrating against plastic. Asked at the dealer who said it was odd and blamed it as speaker hum due to the charging gear I had plugged in. And it's definitely not that. Was going to argue, but I'll never go back to that dealer and didn't want to deal with them any longer. Will try one closer to home as I plan on using the dealer for the next oil change. Don't feel like poking around there myself at the moment.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,621 Posts
...Sounds exactly like a wire vibrating against plastic...
That's what mine sounded like as well. Wasn't a wire, but a piece of metal against a plastic box. You might want to save yourself the hassle and try the 2 solutions from this thread, they're very simple. The dealer service department that did my transmission repair was way too busy to spend any serious amount of time tracking down buzzing noises, and I would expect the same from most dealers around here. My fear was it would have taken several visits to finally get it fixed, if it ever got fixed, which is not at all convenient for me - personally, I would save that process as a last resort.

·
Registered
17' Outback Touring 3.6R
281 Posts
That's what mine sounded like as well. Wasn't a wire, but a piece of metal against a plastic box. You might want to save yourself the hassle and try the 2 solutions from this thread, they're very simple. The dealer service department that did my transmission repair was way too busy to spend any serious amount of time tracking down buzzing noises, and I would expect the same from most dealers around here. My fear was it would have taken several visits to finally get it fixed, if it ever got fixed, which is not at all convenient for me - personally, I would save that process as a last resort.
I'll probably end up giving it a **** as most dealers tend to disappoint as it is. I have my acura for 11yrs and ended up going to the Honda dealer who appreciated snagging an Acura customer and got treated well. Have been to three different Subaru dealers and only got decent treatment at one that's not necessarily convenient to go to.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did you check the post I just linked to above?

There are numerous "rattle" threads in the Gen 4 forum. Cut and paste this into google and see for yourself:

rattle low speed site:subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-2014/
Yes, I have been searching the forum for so long trying to figure out what this is. It is just so weird to me because it is the EXACT same sound that some of the Gen 5s have had (according to videos I've seen of them) but there are 2 key things.

1) mine is worse in the heat than when its cold, which is the opposite of what others are saying

2) and I have moved the ground wire and I still hear the noise

So if there are any more suggestions I will gladly take them because this noise is getting on my nerves lol.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,429 Posts
So if there are any more suggestions I will gladly take them ...
Loose exhaust heat shields are a well-known source of elusive rattles, especially as vehicles age. This phenomenon isn't unique to Subaru.

Reactions: clemsonguy

·
Registered
17' Outback Touring 3.6R
281 Posts
Loose exhaust heat shields are a well-known source of elusive rattles, especially as vehicles age. This phenomenon isn't unique to Subaru.
I had the screw areas rust through on my acura mdx. Was annoying as can be. Two long duct pipe fastners tightened it up until I traded it in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've not read the entire 22 pages of this thread, but my experience may be of help to those who have continuing problems with an intermittent, temperature related rattle coming from the dash. My 2018 Touring had such a rattle and it was just driving me crazy, small as it might seem. Other than that my car was rattle free, so I doggedly pursued it with my very patient and thorough dealer. I took the car in on two separate occasions, one of which they kept the car for a week. They completely disassembled the dash and information screen and air ducts, looked for loose parts and attached foam to critical locations. But still the rattle came back! Then one warm day it began rattling just as I pulled into my driveway. So when I parked I started striking the dash in various places until I could get the rattle to occur. When I struck it just to the right and above the center vent - Voila! But the rattle sound was not coming from where I wast striking. Finally, I looked forward and noticed the solar sensor at the base of the windshield. I used my other hand and put my finger on the sensor and the rattle disappeared. Took my finger off, and the rattle's back. Mystery solved.

I took my news back to my dealer and they again disassembled the dash to get to the solar sensor, and the tech reported that it fell apart in his hand when he removed it. So they ordered me a new solar sensor and another sensor and installed them a week later (they gave me a loaner). My Outback has been completely rattle free for more than a month now (and I've really given it some tough tests), and it makes all the difference in the world to me.

By the way, when I drove home in the loaner they gave me (a new Outback) I heard the very same rattle in that car before I'd driven 5 miles!

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
768 Posts
Drove the car with radio off for the first time in a long time. Noticed a little buzz that seems to be the metal trim above the glove box.
Turned the radio back on. ;-)

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Premium w/ES 2002 2.5 OB 142k mi
301 Posts
I've not read the entire 22 pages of this thread, but my experience may be of help to those who have continuing problems with an intermittent, temperature related rattle coming from the dash. My 2018 Touring had such a rattle and it was just driving me crazy, small as it might seem. Other than that my car was rattle free, so I doggedly pursued it with my very patient and thorough dealer. I took the car in on two separate occasions, one of which they kept the car for a week. They completely disassembled the dash and information screen and air ducts, looked for loose parts and attached foam to critical locations. But still the rattle came back! Then one warm day it began rattling just as I pulled into my driveway. So when I parked I started striking the dash in various places until I could get the rattle to occur. When I struck it just to the right and above the center vent - Voila! But the rattle sound was not coming from where I wast striking. Finally, I looked forward and noticed the solar sensor at the base of the windshield. I used my other hand and put my finger on the sensor and the rattle disappeared. Took my finger off, and the rattle's back. Mystery solved.

I took my news back to my dealer and they again disassembled the dash to get to the solar sensor, and the tech reported that it fell apart in his hand when he removed it. So they ordered me a new solar sensor and another sensor and installed them a week later (they gave me a loaner). My Outback has been completely rattle free for more than a month now (and I've really given it some tough tests), and it makes all the difference in the world to me.

By the way, when I drove home in the loaner they gave me (a new Outback) I heard the very same rattle in that car before I'd driven 5 miles!
You're lucky all that disassembly didn't create even more rattles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you. Zip-tie did the trick on my 2019 2.5. Surprised Subaru has not addressed such a simple problem which is probably costing them $$$ in diagnostics.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5i
293 Posts
Thank you. Zip-tie did the trick on my 2019 2.5. Surprised Subaru has not addressed such a simple problem which is probably costing them $$$ in diagnostics.
Which problem are you referring to? The transmission wire?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update: my rattle was coming from the far right speaker cover by the a-pillar. The tech put felt tape on all the connecting pieces and the rattle is gone.

I haven't read anyone with a problem similar to mine. My dash rattles just to the right of the center vents. The rattle can be silenced by LIGHTLY pressing on the dash with a finger at the spot circled in the image below. This is very intermittent and weather does not play a role. This happens sometimes on a smooth road too. I haven't taken it in because of how intermittent it is.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2019 X-Break
1 Posts
Hey all, I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd bump it because it helped me out a lot.

2016 2.5i Premium here. As the weather got colder this season I started noticing a vibration / rattle that appeared to be coming from behind the gauge cluster. It was usually between 20 and 40mph, between 1100 and 1600 RPMs, only present in Drive, and always more present on cold days and in the first 20 minutes of driving before the car is fully warmed up.

I HATE rattles, especially on new cars that shouldn't have them, and this was making me crazy! I spent hours driving around trying to locate the problem with no success. I found myself not wanting to drive because I didn't want to think about the problem any more.

I was reluctant to take it to the dealership since I've done a bunch of interior / dash work and assumed that they'd blame the rattle on the cabling and the dash / headliner disassembly work I did for my extra 12v switch, backup cam switch and dashcam install.

Anyway, I started searching for posts about similar problems, and found this thread, and the problem identified here was definitely my problem. As soon as I moved the transmission ground cable away from the air box, the problem was totally resolved.

I thought I'd bump it and post some pics and details in case anyone is new to this issue for the cold weather that's starting to come on.

The offending wire is in the engine bay against the firewall near the center. (pic 1). It's a red-black ground wire connecting the transmission to the frame. (pics 2 and 3). It rattles against the black plastic air intake ducting. (pic 4)

I suggest unclipping the nearby gray wiring connector and re-routing the ground wire to underneath the connector instead of over (pic 5). This will keep it from ever vibrating against the air box.

Hope this helps someone as much as it helped me, and many thanks to all the folks who worked hard to find this solution last winter. I never would have guessed that a rattle that seemed like it was coming from behind the speedometer was a wire in the engine bay.
Dear Tyler,
Thank you very much for your detailed description! I have Outback X-Mode 2019 and the problem is exactly the same! Was trying to solve with solicone oil, service support and no result! Finally found your post on outback forum and it works :)))) Thank you! Regards from Poland!

201 - 220 of 223 Posts