Subaru Outback Forums banner

Do you have a dashboard rattle in weather under 60 degrees and with the gas pressed?

• Yes

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 42.1%
21 - 40 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
This may sound crazy but ask them to check that all the welds are present and correctly made.

During the 2015 production early this year a number of Honda Pilots were improperly welded together resulting in strange noises creaks etc. holes were even found.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm curious to see how this plays out, as I am having exactly the same problem. After tearing apart my dash, my dealership was unable to solve this issue, and of course when the SOA engineer came out to have a listen, they could not reproduce the problem. As others have said, this only occurs when it is relatively cold outside, and when accelerating between about 25-45 MPH. I'm wondering if this is something inside the cluster, speedometer mechanicals maybe? This is not a subtle noise that I am willing to just live with.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5 Limited
140 Posts
I've got a dash rattle. Happens intermittently but mostly on dirt roads or rough pavement.

Initially I imagined it to be a wiring loom rattling against something. Luckily it turned out to be the center speaker grill. The left rear corner is slightly lifted and pressing on it stops the rattle.

I'm creating a list of things for the dealer to remedy before I drop it off but I'm sure they'll be able to take care of it.
Too funny...No rattle here, but I've been trying to push that left corner down since I took delivery. I seem to be one of the few with a camera, so...

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions!
The noise is getting more louder and frequently during the driving; even after drove for a while on the highway and still could hear the noise after off the highway. Sounds it is the mechanical problem, while not the general new car issue; can't endure it as it keeps coming up and make annoy.
I'll send it back to the dealer again. Subaru of America inform me they will send another engineer to the local to troubleshoot and fix again.
I will update at here once get any results.

·
Registered
16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
470 Posts
Car has been two days at dealer since yesterday monday, and they just called me to say they could not fix it 100 %. They have to clean the dirt inside and I'll go pick it up tomorrow at noon and see what's not 100 %. They said they can't do any better, but before judging, I have to go and see what they did. will report back

·
Registered
16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
470 Posts
I'm curious to see how this plays out, as I am having exactly the same problem. After tearing apart my dash, my dealership was unable to solve this issue, and of course when the SOA engineer came out to have a listen, they could not reproduce the problem. As others have said, this only occurs when it is relatively cold outside, and when accelerating between about 25-45 MPH. I'm wondering if this is something inside the cluster, speedometer mechanicals maybe? This is not a subtle noise that I am willing to just live with.
That's exactly where I hear it's coming from around that area between the RPM and speedo, and sometimes from behind the speedo.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
63 Posts
Too funny...No rattle here, but I've been trying to push that left corner down since I took delivery. I seem to be one of the few with a camera, so...

Mine's doing the exact same thing in the exact same place. On top of that, the area going around that center speaker looks so lumpy and uneven.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R
178 Posts
Be careful if you ask the dealer to replace your center speaker grill. I did because mine wasn't sitting flush, the left front corner was warped up.

Resolution? The dealership put in a center speaker grill in worse shape than the first and scratched the dash in three different small spots.

The passenger side of my dash is more lumpy and uneven than the driver's side. The whole thing is made up of what looks like inconsistent material, some more shiny, some more matte. Put a little vinyl protectant on there and it really stands out.

I'm going to have a meeting with the dealer's plastics expert. Perhaps he can repair the scratched spots. I fear having the dash replaced.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6r
53 Posts
I am having the same issue. I reported it as a metallic buzz sound on an earlier post. Please keep me updated. Mine happens on bumpy roads at the same speed listed. As soon as we find a fix we can all be happy. I love the car otherwis

·
Registered
16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
470 Posts
Will do. I'm picking my car in a couple of hours and we see what they did. The car spent a total of 6 days at dealer ( 3 days twice ) and I'm not sure they were able to fix it properly. They removed the dash twice or more. I also had that buzz besides the rattle, but did not mention it in the thread here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi.

Please read this thread from Legacy Forum http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...er-side-244040.html?t=244040&highlight=rattle

I had similar problem. Please read through the entire thread because I also did not know the exact source of the noise at the time when I wrote the Original Post but,

if you read through, I found the exact source of the noise and it might be the culprit for you too since you said your dealer could not fix it after taking off whole dash several times.

·
Registered
16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
470 Posts
Thanks Woony1990. I just came back, and no rattle. They said they put some foam behind the instrument cluster. But still I'm not sure it's fixed, as it was a very rainy day, and the service rep was very nice to point that humidity masks many plastic noises and squeaks. he said wait couple of days till weather is dry and let me know if it's fixed. Anyway, if it comes back, I will be checking the ES cover before I go back to dealer, though I'm positive my rattle is coming from behind the speedo. I'll see for the weekend what happens.

·
Registered
16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
470 Posts
Well to update, rain is gone, and slightly cold weather and rattle is back same as before, behind instrument cluster, rattle and some buzzing. I did press ES housing, and it does not change anything. So most likely it's not that, and sound is clearly behind instruments. I don't know what to do anymore, obviously I'm contacting dealer today, but honestly after leaving car for 6 days at dealer, removing dash twice, if they could not fix it, I'm not sure what's their next step.

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
502 Posts
That's exactly where I hear it's coming from around that area between the RPM and speedo, and sometimes from behind the speedo.
I see mentioned the noise coming from this area in several postings. Purely speculative, but stepper motors used to drive the gauges can make strange noises. It would be hard to diagnose a "fix" at the dealership level.

·
Registered
16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
470 Posts
I see mentioned the noise coming from this area in several postings. Purely speculative, but stepper motors used to drive the gauges can make strange noises. It would be hard to diagnose a "fix" at the dealership level.
What do you suggest if it's not dealership ? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
502 Posts
What I'm saying it's not likely the dealer would remove the instrument cluster and start replacing stepper motors as a "possible" fix. More likely if complaints are widespread and are being reported, Subaru would investigate and issue a TSB if they were the culprit. I just replaced all 6 on my '03 GMC Envoy with 5th gen. motors. Noise was not an issue but is listed as one of several common problems with earlier versions. Again all speculative. BTW the motors were cheap..... $25 for all 6.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
Ask them to remove the instrument cluster and drive the car without it to test if the noise goes away and have access to additional components behind it.

I've done it before - not on anything this new - but so far every Subaru I've driven doesnt' need an instrument cluster to drive.
It's pretty funny driving without one...a little unnerving....no warning lights, no speedometer....

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited Carbide Grey
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Hi.

Please read this thread from Legacy Forum http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...er-side-244040.html?t=244040&highlight=rattle

I had similar problem. Please read through the entire thread because I also did not know the exact source of the noise at the time when I wrote the Original Post but,

if you read through, I found the exact source of the noise and it might be the culprit for you too since you said your dealer could not fix it after taking off whole dash several times.
Thanks for sharing the info, but I share Zeiter's experience that this is not coming from the eyesight casing but deeper in the center/left dash console.

My appointment is next week to fix this, windnoise, and the leather steering wheel adhesive coming off.

·
Registered
16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
470 Posts
BostonOP, please update after your service is done. I called them again and they gave me another appointment in two weeks from now, ( although not sure what they plan to do, if they could not find it after leaving the car 6 days with them, and removing the dash twice ). Good luck

·
Registered
2015 legacy 2.5i premium eye-sight
1 Posts
Thanks all for your ideas and suggestions!
The noise is getting more louder and frequently during the driving; even after drove for a while on the highway and still could hear the noise after off the highway. Sounds it is the mechanical problem, while not the general new car issue; can't endure it as it keeps coming up and make annoy.
I'll send it back to the dealer again. Subaru of America inform me they will send another engineer to the local to troubleshoot and fix again.
I will update at here once get any results.

Hey yes please let me know. I have the exact problem with my 15 legacy 2.5i premium. I started a thread as well for the legacies

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/rattle-noise-accelerating-245851.html

21 - 40 of 222 Posts