Subaru Outback Forums banner

Do you have a dashboard rattle in weather under 60 degrees and with the gas pressed?

• Yes

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • No

Votes: 16 42.1%
41 - 60 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got my OB back eventually! The rattling noise sounds is gone....The dealer told me that the manufacturer engineer last checking and finding was rattle was coming from air box area; found air box rattling against transmission ground wire - this place is difficult to find. They adjusted the ground wire and sealed tightly and tested drove, rattle is gone. They had took some pictures and will share with all Subaru dealers around the country for this issue and fix.
They mentioned they also found several other places like cables, wires were not sealed tightly and got vibration, they sealed them well again.
I think Subaru may have not enough ability to make products per the over sales; and they don't have good quality control!

I had posted another thread for my 2015 OB for another defect - the ground floor vent don't have enough air flow, especially in the winter, when your upper body feeling is warm enough, your foot will still feel cold even after driving a long time....the dealer admitted this is a Subaru's design defect! Not sure they can get resolution for the 2015 model and resolved it for 2016 model.

Look forward to your communications!

Thanks and regards!

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5 Limited Carbide Grey
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Very interesting. Sounds similar to the problems in the Dashboard rattle thread. I am taking mine in on Friday and will share your experience. I have linked to a video that I recorded of my rattle. I also have the rattle at speeds from 15-45, only when hitting the gas pedal, and temperatures under 60 degrees F.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...93-dashboard-rattle-anyone-else-resolved.html

Noise is prominent at 9 seconds and 22 seconds. Ignore my baby's squeal at the end of the video.
http://youtu.be/r4CUbYNafRQ

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hey guys -

Check out this other thread regarding noise on acceleration - it sounds similar to what we are dealing with.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...ob-vibration-noise-during-acceleration-2.html

I have linked to a video that I recorded of my rattle. I also have the rattle at speeds from 15-45, only when hitting the gas pedal, and temperatures under 60 degrees F.

Noise is prominent at 9 seconds and 22 seconds. Ignore my baby's squeal at the end of the video.
http://youtu.be/r4CUbYNafRQ

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,243 Posts
I only hear the noise when you are in the negative side of fuel economy.

·
Registered
16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
470 Posts
BostonOB, waiting to see what happens on your appointment this friday. My third appointment for this issue is Nov-16.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for posting that video. I just started having that noise yesterday. It's been relatively warm here in Southern California, but the temp dropped last night into the 60s. Noticed that noise right away on startup. It seemed to go away after a while. Same sound this morning with temps in the 60s, perhaps a little warmer. Noise was there but not as loud as before. Will be curious to see how this pans out. Just visited the dealer to fix some squeaky brakes and don't want to have to make a repeat trip.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited in Carbide Gray
85 Posts
Same exact rattle here under the same exact conditions. Never heard it until late this fall when temps dropped (even though I got the car last January and drove in plenty of cold winter and spring weather). I'm going to watch this thread like a hawk!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I only hear the noise when you are in the negative side of fuel economy.
Possibly, but that coincides with hitting the gas pedal. The first instance it was barely in negative/yellow. The video is a short sample, it is present while hitting the gas and being eco friendly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I dropped off my Outback 2.5 Limited today to Patrick Subaru in MA for the dash rattle - just my luck that it is 70 degrees today - probably the first time I have wanted it not to be that temperature! It should cool down by Monday - ill keep this thread up to date on the progress. I provided a lot of information to the service rep - including the air box fix details, the heat shield info from the Legacy forum, and the fact that multiple owners just started experiencing this problem (exact same noise with weather and acceleration details).

I also have some wind whooshing/gushing at 45mph and above, but I did not think I had the a pillar cackling noise. My VIN is 3288121, so it was made after the factory fix.

I requested a loaner, they provided me with a 2015 Outback 2.5 with VIN: 3216377. This means it was produced before the factory fix. I was pretty excited to try this pre-fix build out for comparison sakes with my post-fix build.

The results. WOAH. The wind noise on this one makes mine sound library quiet. There is loud cackling and whooshing present at speeds of 15mph and increases with speed. This was like night and day different - this car is extremely loud and makes me empathize with those early wind noise sufferers even more. This loaner must not have had any TSB done

This leads me to believe that mine will only need the 320mm butile tape and not the a-pillar replacements.

I know it is a loaner but it would be good for them to do TSBs, because if I was an owner of an older outback and considering upgrading, driving this loaner would persuade me not to purchase.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Minor update: the car was dropped off friday, it was unseasonably warm in MA (70), so the noise could not be replicated. They are keeping it until Monday, at which time it will be a bit colder and should be easy to replicate, if not, then I will go for a drive with the tech.

The loaner they gave me is a 2015 outback with 13k miles on it. It also makes the dashboard rattle, but it does it at a wider range of speed and rpms - so I wonder if the issue we have will increase with mileage. The loaner also has insane wind noise as it was made before the factory fix and has none of the TSB work done.

Ill provide an update on Monday.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Minor update: The loaner they gave me is a 2015 outback with 13k miles on it. It also makes the dashboard rattle, but it does it at a wider range of speed and rpms. It has the rattle just past 2k rpms and around 50mph. I wonder if the issue we have will increase with mileage.

Ill provide an update on Monday.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Premium. 2015 Limited on order for ever.
1 Posts
Thanks for posting the video BostanOB. I have the same exact vibration sound which started when temps started getting colder a couple of months ago. Did not have the issue last winter after delivery at the end of Feb. Have not gone to the dealer yet, but will be soon!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
56 Posts
Wow, I came on here to research this exact issue. So maybe I'm not crazy. My car is just over a year old and I first noticed this issue about a month ago as an intermittent problem that seems to be gradually increasing in frequency.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
56 Posts
I have a 15 month old Premium and just recently started noticing this problem, usually associated with acceleration. It seems to be gradually getting worse and I suppose I'll probably eventually get fed up enough with it to deal with it.

·
Registered
2019 3.6 Touring & 2018 H6 Limited. Previously also owned a number of Outbacks.
186 Posts
On the 2005-2007 the dashboard rattle led to a Tech Bulletin - caused by the plastic peg rubbing against the socket where the dashboard meets the frame/below windshield, the fix is simply adding a piece of felt (driver's side). I had a 2007 & on 2008 it was fixed/never had problems.

On the 2013s I had 2 rattles on both cars - 1st one is caused by not closing the cover completely where I store the sunglasses near the sunroof, a piece of paper caught in it & it sounded like rattle coming from the dash... Fix? Close the cover. :) 2nd one took a couple of days to figure out - caused by not having the sun visor extension push all the way in... causing a small vibrations. FIX? Push the sun visor extension all the way in. ;) In both cases they sounded just like the 2007 rattle coming from the dash. So make sure everything is stored properly, closed/pushed in all the way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
On the 2005-2007 the dashboard rattle led to a Tech Bulletin - caused by the plastic peg rubbing against the socket where the dashboard meets the frame/below windshield, the fix is simply adding a piece of felt (driver's side). I had a 2007 & on 2008 it was fixed/never had problems.
I removed everything from the car: from the glove, from the middle console, armrest console, sunglasses, ,backseats, floor, cargo space in the back, etc. There is nothing in the car when I am in it, besides myself. All doors are closed.

This rattle is specific to certain outside temperatures and specific speeds and rpms. It was not present last winter, so maybe it has to do with something occurring over the course of so many miles. I hope it is as simple as a piece of felt being added to an area of the dashboard, but the two resolutions to this have been heat shield and airbox related. I don't care what it is, I just want it resolved.

Based on the responses on this thread and the other acceleration noise thread - we have appx. 15 folks with the problem, not a huge amount, but I wonder if it will increase as the weather drops.

The dealer said they will have a high level tech drive the car tomorrow morning to try and replicate the noise.

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Limited in Carbide Gray
85 Posts
Good luck, BostonOB. It shouldn't be too hard for the tech to replicate if conditions are right.

Start car. Put into drive. Depress gas pedal. Listen for noise. :)

·
Registered
16 OB 3.6 LTD/ES
470 Posts
Mine started two weeks after I purchased my car in March, but then disappeared when temperature warmed up for all summer. Now it's back, and much more pronounced, so my verdict: it definitely gets worse with more miles on the car. My next appointment ( third for same issue) is Monday Nov-16, but I'll wait for BostonOB's feedback, hopefully your high level tech is better than mine ( which according to the dealer was their best, with 25 years, and could not find it ).

41 - 60 of 222 Posts