Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited, 2002 Turbo Miata
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 XT has a rattle in the driver's side of the dashboard. I have read that this is pretty common, but most of the info I can find on it is from back when these cars were still under warranty, so the solution was usually "bring it back to the dealer and tell them about the service bulletin."

Is there any updated info on an easy fix for this, or do I still have to take the whole dashboard apart to get to the problem? I am capable of doing that myself if I have to, but I would prefer not to if anybody has come up with a quicker way. I can't find any good pictures of the problem anywhere, so I don't even know what I am looking for.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I'm interested in this as well! Rattle has been there for 7 years, and it is still annoying. Dealer never fixed it, and we were too busy to pester them enough.

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
Same one.
I can make it happen if I press on the dash just over the speedometer cluster, pushing the dash toward the windshield.

It also seems to have something to do with where the left windshield pillar meets the dash. I have un-snapped the pillar from place and have tried inserting little wedges between the pillar bottom where it meets the left end of dash, however, nothing I do eliminates this that has been there since DAY ONE!:mad::17:

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited, 2002 Turbo Miata
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just played with it today and my rattle goes away if I push on the instrument hood.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Limited
98 Posts
I had no idea this was a common problem. I just figured I was "lucky." I just roll down the window and crank up the music. I also found that I can make it go away by applying pressure near the gauge cluster. I know if I tear the dash apart it's just going to make it worse and something else will squeak and rattle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts