Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On an NJ to FL road trip, somewhere in GA, the dashboard on our 2011 lit up all of a sudden.

Engine, VSC, blinking brake and blinking cruise. Didn't notice anything wrong with the driving but pulled over right away. Electronic brake was acting up as it would not engage but eventually did, and then it would not disengage (but eventually did).

First thing I did was check the gas cap and it was tight, but opened and resealed it. Called a nearby dealer but mechanics had left for the day.

Ended up driving it to a nearby Autozone and ODBII read just a loose gas cap. Since I had already checked it (and I was the one that filled the tank and having had a similar issue once on a Honda, I always make sure it's nicely locked), I bought a $10 one and they cleared the codes for me. Went our "merry way" and no problems since, or during the trip back.

Later I found out my BiLs 2012 experienced the same issue recently.

So, is there a recall for TSB for this? I understand a loose gas cap could cause problems, but not to trigger all these false alarms... Some cars now have a dedicated "gas cap" light when this happens...

TIA...

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,379 Posts
Vehicle is operating as designed. ALL the things light up/disengage when a CEL is triggered.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,520 Posts
So, is there a recall for TSB for this [bad gas cap]?
I don't know of any; others here might chime in. It sounds like a failed gas cap seal on the neck; since your 2011 is out of warranty and you're only out $10 with minimal interruption to the trip, I'd say you came out pretty well overall.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vehicle is operating as designed. ALL the things light up/disengage when a CEL is triggered.
Interesting. To me, it seemed like a multiple problem issue. In fact, not until I noticed the cruise control, I thought it was electrical and something wrong near the actual panel that houses the electronic brake and VSC.

So... Which OBDII reader/app you guys recommend to have handy for long trips? IOS here so I believe I have to go with a WiFi version.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know of any; others here might chime in. It sounds like a failed gas cap seal on the neck; since your 2011 is out of warranty and you're only out $10 with minimal interruption to the trip, I'd say you came out pretty well overall.
Don't think there would be a recall for a bad gas cap. But why would a loss in pressure or this code trigger all other lights to come on (or disable or other functions)? Engine Light should have been the only one that should go on. That's what I've experienced a couple of other times on other brands when the gas cap was not put on correctly (I live in NJ and many times I've not heard the clicks and tightened it myself)

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
Don't think there would be a recall for a bad gas cap. But why would a loss in pressure or this code trigger all other lights to come on (or disable or other functions)? Engine Light should have been the only one that should go on. That's what I've experienced a couple of other times on other brands when the gas cap was not put on correctly (I live in NJ and many times I've not heard the clicks and tightened it myself)
Subaru decided that drivers weren't reacting to a single warning light in a timely fashion.

Beginning around 2005, the check-engine condition (still just a single lamp) would also disable cruise control.

Then with the 2010 model year they coupled the check-engine lamp to the full lightshow attention getter.

A few of us were wondering if they were going to add a siren and strobes with the 2015 refresh, but it looks like we dodged that bullet.

It's behaving as designed, and in this particular regard it is designed to be very annoying.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,379 Posts
Designed for the lowest common denominator.

Which is unfortunately the fact the "average" human being is an idiot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.