Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Premium and looking at hardwire a dashcam. I have a cheapo one right now but will be upgrading it soon to a capacitor based one.

Is there a spare fuse we can use? Or where did you tap into? Also, looking for recommendations on a decent 12v to USB converter.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,682 Posts
I have a 2011 Premium and looking at hardwire a dashcam. I have a cheapo one right now but will be upgrading it soon to a capacitor based one.

Is there a spare fuse we can use? Or where did you tap into? Also, looking for recommendations on a decent 12v to USB converter.
I hardwired ours under the headliner, around the doors to the outlet in the back hatch of the car because it’s hardly ever used. There is however,ma devise that you can get to wire it in to the fuse box. Web sites like the dash cam store.com.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thinking about doing the same. Do you guys have recommendations? I have the homelink mirror. I see there are three wires. Would love to tap into that wire for a clean look.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am not very knowledgeable about electrical stuff so take this advice with caution. I hard wired my radar detector and there's so much different advice out there that's it hard to figure out what to follow.

I chose to go with the fuse box route rather than using the homelink mirror. First you need to purchase a fuse tap and hardwire kit. I'm 90% sure Gen 4 Outbacks use a "mini low profile fuse", and the tap linked below worked for my 2014 Outback.

Fuse tap: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K17A2E6

Example hardwire kit: https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-Mini-Hardwire-A119S/dp/B00MH4ZVHO

Next you want to look up a fuse diagram: Subaru*Outback (2013 ? 2014) ? fuse box diagram | Auto Genius

Use this to choose which fuse you want to tap. If you want it to function like a normal dashcam, choose a fuse that is only active when the key is turned (i.e. the accessory power outlet.)

To summarize...you tap power from the fuse box using an adapter in an existing fuse that only supplies power when the ignition is on. The power coming out of this is 12v and is in the form of a female connector. The red wire from your hardwire kit gets plugged into this female connector and crimped/taped together. The black wire is attached to any bare metal surface in your car (there is one near the fuse box.) The hardwire kit steps down the voltage from 12v to 5v which is what your dashcam requires. Then just plug the mini-usb end of the hardwire kit into the dashcam and you're good to go.

A few notes. You can pop off the side panel between the door and the fusebox for better access, I think this is where the most convenient bare metal spot is as well. All the excess hardwire kit (including the converter box) can be stuffed in near the fuse box to keep it hidden. I was able to completely hide the wire without removing any trim besides the side panel next to the fuse box.

AO River wrote up an excellent DIY guide to hard wiring a radar detector, there is some useful information in there in regards to wire routing, etc... http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...-hardwire-installation-concealed-display.html

Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Although the homelink mirror is the easiest way to go, my concern was with the step down converter. Can these thing overheat/fry?

If it's something under the dash it could be easy to rip out. Or maybe I should look for a 12v camera instead...

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
384 Posts
I am going to attempt this, if I ever decide which dash cam to purchase.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts