Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else planning on adding a dashcam to your rig? I plan on getting a Blackview dual Camera system with the hardwire kit. Just wondering where everyone plans to or has mounded the cameras? Pictures would be AWESOME.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,477 Posts
Me. I am planning on using the rear view mirror mount until I can figure out how to run a USB cable between the headliner and the windshield.

This is the one I currently have on my car and I plan to use it on the new car.

I want to use the Viofo A129 Duo and use both front and back cameras.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
76 Posts
I went with the new Thinkware U1000 and mounted it to the left of the rear view mirror about in the middle of all those windshield dots that I don’t know what purpose they serve. It was easy enough to feed the wires under the plastic and out of the way of the drivers side eye sight camera.

I can post some picture when the sun comes back up and it a bright enough to see everything

I didn’t go with a blackview as it’s design got in the way of the radar detector mounted on the mirror stalk.
I have to admit the fit and finish on the outback is pretty good as it was a huge pain to run the cable from the rear and get it all tucked away. Just the front cable was bad enough.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,477 Posts
I went with the new Thinkware U1000 and mounted it to the left of the rear view mirror about in the middle of all those windshield dots that I don’t know what purpose they serve. It was easy enough to feed the wires under the plastic and out of the way of the drivers side eye sight camera.

I can post some picture when the sun comes back up and it a bright enough to see everything

I didn’t go with a blackview as it’s design for in the way of the radar detector mounted on the mirror stalk.
I have to admits the fit and finish on the outback is pretty good as it was a huge pain to run the cable from the rear and get it all tucked away. Just the front cable was bad enough.
Can you post your install pictures? Does the camera interfere with Eyesight?

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
While the manual says most of the front windshield is off limits I found a picture that I feel is more accurate of what those camera see red is a no Zone as is the blue but I’ll post pics of my install in the morning View attachment 472847
Wow, that was the best to date that I have seen and I think they should have in the manual.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
540 Posts
What do you folks use the footage for? Is this for liability, it are you making YouTube videos or something?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
76 Posts
What do you folks use the footage for? Is this for liability, it are you making YouTube videos or something?
Insurance and liability. The model I bought has a great parking mode so if something happens when it is parked I will hopefully have some evidence. Plus I think I have more than the average number of hit and run where I live so it will be good to have evidence.

Oddly enough last time I had a dashcam it only captured me hitting someone else and totaling both cars, but I didn’t bother to share that footage with anyone as I was at fault anyway. And no one was hurt.

·
Registered
2020 OB 2.4 XT Limited | 2017 OB 3.6R Limited w/ EyeSight
43 Posts
I've had a dashcam on my previous two Outbacks and never had an issue with EyeSight. I think I'll just reinstall the one I had on the '17 in the same spots on the windshield and liftgate. I'm thinking the right fuses might have changed? Does anyone have a copy of the service manual? Last time I made sure I gave that to the guy.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
76 Posts
Here are some photos. I couldn't go any higher since then I would capture the mirror mount in
the video. I didn't want to go any more left to go higher to stay out of eye-sight way.

pcthe

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,418 Posts
gdbjr: That looks nice!
The camera is attached to the glass with double sided tape?
Have a link to where you purchased the camera?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
76 Posts
gdbjr: That looks nice!
The camera is attached to the glass with double sided tape?
Have a link to where you purchased the camera?
There is a plastic mount that is attached to the windshield with some 3M type tape. Then the camera itself slides into that mount and can be easily removed to get to the SD card,which is on the side up against the mirror mount.

BlackboxMyCar.com is where I bought my last 2 dash cams.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm planning a dashcam install. Not sure what camera or how/where I'm going to mount it yet.

Purpose is for liability and some videos of national parks.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,645 Posts
absolutely liability. I was in an accident and there was some question as to my story and the other party's story, all because the stupid cops wrote down the WRONG details in their police report. In the end apparently the insurance adjusters accept that cops OFTEN get it wrong in their reports, and what was told to insurance the same day of the accident carries weight anyway - but, if I had had a camera, none of it would have even been a discussion, so I could quickly realize how the issue could be much worse under different circumstances, easily solved with a little video.

Oh that and the off chance I capture something like this: (lol)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
76 Posts
I've had a dashcam on my previous two Outbacks and never had an issue with EyeSight. I think I'll just reinstall the one I had on the '17 in the same spots on the windshield and liftgate. I'm thinking the right fuses might have changed? Does anyone have a copy of the service manual? Last time I made sure I gave that to the guy.
When I pulled off the fuse panel cover it had a list of what fuse was what. It was easy to identify an accessory fuse. It was more of a challenge to find an always on one. Thankfully my purchase came with a tester so I could test which ones were always on. Other than the airbag fuse which I left alone.

·
Registered
2016 OB, 2.5i Ltd w/Eyesight; 2011 Miata
70 Posts
Anyone else planning on adding a dashcam to your rig? I plan on getting a Blackview dual Camera system with the hardwire kit. Just wondering where everyone plans to or has mounded the cameras? Pictures would be AWESOME.
I put that in my 2016 OB earlier this year. Sorry, didn't take pics during installation. I used Blackvue's mount to put the cam in front of the rear view mirror. About half the camera is still visible below the mirror. I pushed the wires behind the overhead trim over to the drivers side; pulled off the trim piece & brought the wires down to near the fuse box. Wires from the rear cam went through one of the flexy tubes & into the top trim area, thence over to the driver side & I just pushed the wires behind the trim over to the front of the car, where they joined the main wires down to the fuse box. Blackvue provided a little trim push tool that was invaluable. There are quite a few pics available from others in this forum.

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
333 Posts
My dashcam captured two vehicles running a red light and smashing into one another as one turned left in front of the other one. I declared both drivers at fault!! If I could figure out how to capture the video onto my computer, I would share the most exciting portion with you.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts