Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,604 Posts
I have installed my front dashcam (temporarily while I get the hard wiring kit installed) here. EyeSight hasn't complained at all but the location does fall into the 'grey' area for the EyeSight cameras. Because my dashcam, the VIOFO A119 V3 can not swivel left to right (only up and down), Placing it on the outside of the EyeSight cameras cuts down the field of view of the dashcam on the opposite side of the car.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
99 Posts
Any one installed a rear dash cam? If so, how and where did you mount it?
My unit was a 2 channel system. You can see the front install earlier in this thread. For the rear it is mounted slightly down from the top of the rear window to avoid being on a defrost line and slightly off center so that the lens is centered.

I removed the plastic trim on the top of the lift and on the back of the headliner. This allowed me to run the cable through the rubber connectors. Then I just ran the cable along the top trim until I got to the front and then down the trim.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,604 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! Was removing the trim piece at the top of the lift gate hard?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
99 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! Was removing the trim piece at the top of the lift gate hard?
Nope. Just gently pry from one end until the plastic tabs snap out. Probably the easiest part of the install.

The hard part is running a cable through the rubber tubes. If you have to remove them be gentle as breaking the plastic tabs could cause leaks. I ended up pulling the rubber off the plastic mounts and then gently removing the plastic tabs from the car with a little flat head screwdriver. Then putting the rubber back on them before snapping them back into place.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,604 Posts
Nope. Just gently pry from one end until the plastic tabs snap out. Probably the easiest part of the install.

The hard part is running a cable through the rubber tubes. If you have to remove them be gentle as breaking the plastic tabs could cause leaks. I ended up pulling the rubber off the plastic mounts and then gently removing the plastic tabs from the car with a little flat head screwdriver. Then putting the rubber back on them before snapping them back into place.
Ah okay. By the rubber tubes, do you mean the two tubes in the middle near the top of the hatch lid?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,768 Posts
I have been researching cameras for awhile. However, I am reading about how they all eventually fail if exposed to extreme heat in the front windshield. The ones that are like $300 may last a bit longer, but they reportedly fail too. If I pay $300 or more for a car cam, I expect that thing to last for at least 10 years.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
99 Posts
I have been researching cameras for awhile. However, I am reading about how they all eventually fail if exposed to extreme heat in the front windshield. The ones that are like $300 may last a bit longer, but they reportedly fail too. If I pay $300 or more for a car cam, I expect that thing to last for at least 10 years.
10 years is a big reach regardless of high heat or not. But for high heat you want to make sure the camera uses capacitors and not batteries. Since batteries don’t take to high heat very well.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
10 years is a big reach regardless of high heat or not. But for high heat you want to make sure the camera uses capacitors and not batteries. Since batteries don’t take to high heat very well.

I am reading about how those cameras with capacitors fail too. All these cameras are made cheaply in China. By the way, they only should be failing at the battery, but I am reading a lot about whole camera fails. I find that most people that post about their great experience have had their camera for just a few months. Or they live in mild environments. My summers regularly get to 105F (easily 160F at windshield), and my winter travels regularly get to 15F.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
99 Posts
I am reading about how those cameras with capacitors fail too. All these cameras are made cheaply in China. By the way, they only should be failing at the battery, but I am reading a lot about whole camera fails. I find that most people that post about their great experience have had their camera for just a few months. Or they live in mild environments. My summers regularly get to 105F (easily 160F at windshield), and my winter travels regularly get to 15F.
The better dashcams are made in Korea. I can also find reports of higher quality ones lasting 3-4 years, so it really depends on which camera you are looming at.

My summers are just as hot If not hotter than yours and the blackview I had lasted for 4 years. I would have kept using it, but it wasn’t mountable in my new car with the eyesight and my radar detector.

·
Registered
2019 3.6 touring in wilderness green metallic
56 Posts
I wonder if painting the body of the camera with either silver/mirrored paint or white paint would cut down on how much heat it absorbs at the front windshield? I can only imagine a black body absorbing a lot of direct sunlight/heat.

Also, if you buy a brand that has been around for a while, when you replace the cam in 3-5 years I wonder if you can just find one with the same connector types so you can just swap in the replacement without having to rewire everything?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Circling back to the original post, I have installed a magnetic mount that would allow me to quickly remove/install a dash cam when I exit/enter the car. I would store the camera in the center console when parking the car, in order to avoid the extra high heat at the windshield when the car is parked. I see several dedicated dash cams that would allow this setup. I am not interested in filming when the car is parked. This could work for someone with similar needs. I have not bought a dash cam yet because I know I don’t want to go through the trouble of removing the dash cam every time I park in the sun.

But I have tested my mount with cell phones, and it works. I have been experimenting with dash cam software on my iPhone. Unfortunately, there are still road blocks there, but that discussion is for another thread.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,604 Posts
I've always left my dash cam on the windshield. I have the G1W I bought in 2014 that still works great. It was the battery version to boot. It later through the Midwest Summers and Winters between -30F and 110F temperatures.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
99 Posts
Circling back to the original post, I have installed a magnetic mount that would allow me to quickly remove/install a dash cam when I exit/enter the car. I would store the camera in the center console when parking the car, in order to avoid the extra high heat at the windshield when the car is parked. I see several dedicated dash cams that would allow this setup. I am not interested in filming when the car is parked. This could work for someone with similar needs. I have not bought a dash cam yet because I know I don’t want to go through the trouble of removing the dash cam every time I park in the sun.

But I have tested my mount with cell phones, and it works. I have been experimenting with dash cam software on my iPhone. Unfortunately, there are still road blocks there, but that discussion is for another thread.
Unplugging and reconnecting every day, depending on the connection type(looking at your usb) will wear the device out far faster than the heat. I think you might be over thinking this. But do what you think is best.

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
292 Posts
I have dashcams in each vehicle that live in the Arizona heat and yes they are capacitor versions. Overall had good luck with them, but one of them occasionally will over heat in the dead of summer if parked out for long day without any shade. The dashboard shades doesn't cover it and i think it sitting between the glass and shade screen only gets it a little more toasty.. Turn the A/C on and in a few minutes everything is fine. They have proven their worth when my wife got clipped by a hit & run driver and I was able to get the footage for the sheriff deputy with clear shot of the plate, within 2 hours he made contact, cited the driver and she... had outstanding warrants too! :)

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,999 Posts
Unplugging and reconnecting every day, depending on the connection type(looking at your usb) will wear the device out far faster than the heat. I think you might be over thinking this. But do what you think is best.
That would be something to consider. Not quite the same but I use a stand-alone SiriusXM radio at work and I have to remove it from the vehicle every day. That means unplugging the power cord, the antenna, and the cable that connects it to the AM/FM radio in the truck. Eventually that repeated connecting and disconnecting causes problems with the ports. With my dash cam setup it would mean unplugging the power, the cable going to the rear camera, and the GPS antenna that allows my location and speed to be embedded in the video. I have no interest in doing that every time I get in and out of the car.

If nothing else just look for a sale on a little cheaper model and give it a try. I got this Autel dual camera setup last winter for $125. It has the supercapacitor instead of a battery and pretty decent video for the money. There are deals out there. If mine craps out after a couple of years it was cheap enough that I won't be bothered too much. Mine gets exposed to -30F temps and I've been down south in 100F+ temps a couple of times and it has held up so far. Just find a decent camera at a good sale price and give it a shot.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I am sure there is an adapter that can be left in, and the adapter gets the wear. I am not even gonna search, because it obviously exists if I thought of it. I am not that creative.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
2,604 Posts
I am sure there is an adapter that can be left in, and the adapter gets the wear. I am not even gonna search, because it obviously exists if I thought of it. I am not that creative.
Yup, some dashcams come with GPS mounts that can be left plugged in. You can remove the camera from the mount and leave the mount attached to the windshield.

The thing is, these mounts are not really designed to be removed daily. They are more for once in a while removal for example, to move the dash cam to a rental car temporarily.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT, 2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
2 Posts
I've always left my dash cam on the windshield. I have the G1W I bought in 2014 that still works great. It was the battery version to boot. It later through the Midwest Summers and Winters between -30F and 110F temperatures.
I have G1Ws in all three of my cars going for about 3 years strong now without issue ... have driven all over the US, but mainly in WV so take it how ever you want. They are very inexpensive in comparison to many others so even if they fail I do not feel as though I am out that much 8)

21 - 40 of 140 Posts