Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I pulled off the fuse panel cover it had a list of what fuse was what. It was easy to identify an accessory fuse. It was more of a challenge to find an always on one. Thankfully my purchase came with a tester so I could test which ones were always on. Other than the airbag fuse which I left alone.
I am curious, which fuse did you end up using for always on?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
76 Posts
I am curious, which fuse did you end up using for always on?
I think I used the Trail R. Fog. But the seat heater R and mirror +b are also always hot.

I’ve since switched to a external battery so I only need and accessory fuse now.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wonder if painting the body of the camera with either silver/mirrored paint or white paint would cut down on how much heat it absorbs at the front windshield? I can only imagine a black body absorbing a lot of direct sunlight/heat.

Also, if you buy a brand that has been around for a while, when you replace the cam in 3-5 years I wonder if you can just find one with the same connector types so you can just swap in the replacement without having to rewire everything?
Consider making a simple reflective cover that can be quickly placed over the camera when the A/C is not running. I have made reflectors with the use of spray adhesive, cardboard and aluminum foil. I have seen reflective thin thermal bags or those cheap thermal blankets that could be cut for this purpose

**I have a Casio solar charged watch capacitor watch that has lasted close to 15 years. One summer I attached it to the steering wheel cross bar for a full+ summer; it sit outside 24/7.. It received lots of direct sunlight and got hot enough to render the LCD display not functional. This watch is still running and receives the atomic clock every night.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
61 Posts
To those who have used an add-a-fuse system to hardwire their dashcam, where did/which bolt did you use to ground the system?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
76 Posts
To those who have used an add-a-fuse system to hardwire their dashcam, where did/which bolt did you use to ground the system?
Under the dash and by your left foot, assuming left hand drive, was a trim piece that comes off if you give it a tug towards that rear of the car. There is a grounding bolt there that I attached my dashcam and radar detector ground wires too.

·
Registered
2020 Limited XT
61 Posts
Under the dash and by your left foot, assuming left hand drive, was a trim piece that comes off if you give it a tug towards that rear of the car. There is a grounding bolt there that I attached my dashcam and radar detector ground wires too.
Awesome, thank you

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,645 Posts
I have been researching cameras for awhile. However, I am reading about how they all eventually fail if exposed to extreme heat in the front windshield. The ones that are like $300 may last a bit longer, but they reportedly fail too. If I pay $300 or more for a car cam, I expect that thing to last for at least 10 years.
my macbook pros cost over $2000 and they dont last 10 years. haha

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have always suspected Apple of not being interested in long life times of their equipment; I think they were the first large company to seal in the battery to stop most customers from replacing it.
When I was involved in making high quality integrated circuits we would run them at high temperature to accelerate failures. Point here is that running (power applied) in high temp will shorten the life of ICs.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Touring XT Autumn Green
231 Posts
Unplugging and reconnecting every day, depending on the connection type(looking at your usb) will wear the device out far faster than the heat. I think you might be over thinking this. But do what you think is best.
There are magnetic USB connectors these days.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, No Eyesight, No Navigation
2,478 Posts
I understanding a $300 daschcam lasting for 10 years is a lofty goal, but that that's what I want. So, I guess I won't be a dashcam customer until I can get that. I just don't want to be replacing a $300 dashcam every 2 years or so. It is an item of low/zero actual use. I have never been in a car collision.

I have read about expensive dash cams regularly dying after just a few months due to heat exposure. Meanwhile, summers in Sacramento (where I am) are about as hot as it gets. I frankly cannot imagine any electronics in the windshield lasting long here.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
76 Posts
I understanding a $300 daschcam lasting for 10 years is a lofty goal, but that that's what I want. So, I guess I won't be a dashcam customer until I can get that. I just don't want to be replacing a $300 dashcam every 2 years or so. I have read about expensive dash cams regularly dying after just a few months due to heat exposure. Meanwhile, summers in Sacramento (where I am) are about as hot as it gets. I frankly cannot imagine any electronics in the windshield lasting long.
Central Texas is slightly hotter. My last dashcam a blackvue held up just fine until I totaled the car. The new thinkview hasn’t yet had the joy of a Texas summer, but I have no doubts it will be just fine along with the radar detector that is mounted up there as well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I understanding a $300 daschcam lasting for 10 years is a lofty goal, but that that's what I want. So, I guess I won't be a dashcam customer until I can get that. I just don't want to be replacing a $300 dashcam every 2 years or so. It is an item of low/zero actual use. I have never been in a car collision.

I have read about expensive dash cams regularly dying after just a few months due to heat exposure. Meanwhile, summers in Sacramento (where I am) are about as hot as it gets. I frankly cannot imagine any electronics in the windshield lasting long here.
Always cooler on the dash if not left alone especially in direct sunlight. A smart phone mounted on the air-vent and peaking over the dash may work for you. In the hot summer the A/C will be hitting the back of the phone and it will be there anyway. I have seen an app that used the video on the phone to act like a dash cam but it may have been low on the reviews..

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Always cooler on the dash if not left alone especially in direct sunlight. A smart phone mounted on the air-vent and peaking over the dash may work for you. In the hot summer the A/C will be hitting the back of the phone and it will be there anyway. I have seen an app that used the video on the phone to act like a dash cam but it may have been low on the reviews..
I have used that setup. I used a program called "Smarth Dash Cam" for iPhone. However, constantly mounting the cell phone and taking it down (to avoid windshield heat) got old quickly.

Don't mind me, folks. I am just not super motivated to have a dash cam. I am probably asking for too much.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts

I mean, I agree with you about technology and longevity and what it should be, its just that we no longer live in that world with many things.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2011 Macbook Air 13" is still in use by the kid that inherited it.
Kids, do't do the math here!! (haha):ROFLMAO::LOL:

I do have a 2004 Mac that still works though. BUT, Apple (and Microsoft) are still making them obsolete by not making newer operating systems compatible with older hardware. So, yea, I have a 2004 Mac, a PPC one that can't run modern software. It is happy with Unix and has some old games to keep entertained, but would be a hackers play ground if they ever got ahold of it.

I did buy my Outback with the intent of driving it for the next 10 years but with the rate of electric cars becoming popular, my gas burning antique may get evil stares come 2030. Some turtle will wash up on shore with an Outback stuck in its shell and then everyone will be all "stop using Outbacks, think of the sea turtles" and I will just blink at them while I sip water from my plastic water bottle with my plastic straw.
I still want the 2015 flying car mod that was in Back to the Future.

·
Registered
2020 Outback L 2.5 greenie / tan (formerly 2014 Outback 2.5i P 6MT)
137 Posts
When I first started looking at a 2020, I hoped the thing might offer a built in dashcam, since it's got digital video cameras front and rear. Is there something stopping Subaru from offering that?

PS: this is being typed on a 10 year old Toshiba laptop.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
When I first started looking at a 2020, I hoped the thing might offer a built in dashcam, since it's got digital video cameras front and rear. Is there something stopping Subaru from offering that?
Cost, higher sticker price, more warranty repairs, etc.

Meanwhile, a dash cam would not sell more cars. It would probably sell fewer cars. A dash cam would be more problematic than the 2018 head unit.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Cost, higher sticker price, more warranty repairs, etc.

Meanwhile, a dash cam would not sell more cars. It would probably sell fewer cars. A dash cam would be more problematic than the 2018 head unit.
Yeah - judging by my experience with MOST factory installed tech like car stereos, nav systems, I would MUCH rather pick from the aftermarket options than have Subaru pick for me.
Controls in the head unit would certainly be a lovely thing, but likely not implemented very well.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts

PS: this is being typed on a 10 year old Toshiba laptop.
lol ok - to be fair and to contradict my word before - I am literally sitting next to an old Blue and White desktop Mac G3 - which I bought in 98 or 99 for an early audio Pro Tools system. It still seems to be working fine. Im about to sell it - checking it for issues. But, it was not really used for about a decade or more, just sat - and I do NOT have the same luck with laptops - which Ive gone through 3 PC laptops since the mid 90s, and now on my second macbook pro, I have carried them around every day to and from work for years, so that may be part of it.

And I should also mention I am NOT an apple/Mac fan. I used only PCs through my life until I really was building my own home audio systems - I tried to go to the PC route in the late 90s but working in a business where EVERYONE around me was MAC, and the software (back then at least) was WAY more refined for a MAC OS and hardware - I had to change. Apart from the professional audio world here in So Cal - PCs make WAY more sense.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts