23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone please tell me how I can disable these annoying DRL's
There has to be a relay buried someplace but I can't find it

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,550 Posts
I think you should consider keeping them - but, there is a website devoted to no drls somewhere - google it.

The only defeat I know of for them involves a switch activated (de-activated?) by the emergency brake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On the Impreza, there is a module attached to the front strut tower on the pax side. It's silver and roughly 2 inch by 4 inch. Simply unplugging the connector disables the DRL's.

Hope this helps.
RT

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i premium
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I should have stated that I have a 2004 Outback. None of the suggestions as above will work. have already tried..

·
Registered
2004 Baja Turbo
106 Posts
I don't remember what model but i read that the DRL relay is underneath the pass side of the dash.They said you may have to remove the glove box but they said you should be able to reach it.Theres a couple of relays there its the one up against the wall under the lower corner of the dash.

·
Registered
2015 OB 2.5i premium
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well here is the way to do it...the 2004 Outback wagon DRL's can easily be disabled by pulling the white connecter on the left side of the sterring column as you look up from underneath..
it is the same procedure as the older legacy
http://www.lightsout.org/disable.html#Subaru
There is nothing behind the glove box

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
I'm curious, why disable a safety feature? Having said that I must admit the Aussie versions don't have this feature..

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon H4 5spd
50 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but my experience is most people who disable DRLs share most, if not all my opinions:

The safety benefit is debatable, at least under driving conditions most often encountered in the US.

Some systems were poorly thought out, and produce unnecessary glare.

They reduce the distinctiveness of motorcycle headlights.

They reduce lamp life.

But most of all, they insult my intelligence. I bloody well know when conditions dictate I should have my headlights on, and I turn them on when necessary.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Zumdish, good points. Of course since daytime running lights aren't required here very few cars come with them (mostly Volvo's), but the OBW sold here does automatically switch off all lights when the ignition is off, so it would be easy to leave some lights on all the time the car is running. I don't do this though, I also feel I know when to turn lights on, and when the windscreen wipers need turning on.

CHeers,

Karl

·
Registered
98 Posts
zumdish said:
I can only speak for myself, but my experience is most people who disable DRLs share most, if not all my opinions:

The safety benefit is debatable, at least under driving conditions most often encountered in the US.

Some systems were poorly thought out, and produce unnecessary glare.

They reduce the distinctiveness of motorcycle headlights.

They reduce lamp life.

But most of all, they insult my intelligence. I bloody well know when conditions dictate I should have my headlights on, and I turn them on when necessary.
OK, I suppose I can agree with the motorcycle idea. Seems people have a hard time seeing other vehicles, so I can understand that motorcycle riders would be worried. If people would just pay attention to EVERYTHING with headlights (or, just pay attention in general...hehe) everyone would be safer. However, I do have to question some of your other points:

1) "They reduce lamp life." OK, while I agree this is true, exactly what how much monetary drawback does this have? What is the average lifetime of headlights? I can honestly say that I've never replaced a headlight in a vehicle for any reason other than a broken headlight due to a rock breaking it. Granted, the longest I've owned a vehicle has been about 4-5 years, but it seems like they last a long time. So, maybe keeping my headlights on all the time will burn them out sooner, but it doesn't seem to be a big impact in cost. Plus, new bulbs aren't real expensive anyway.

2) "they insult my intelligence." While I have complete faith in your intelligence, I fail to have much faith in the intelligence of the remainder of the human race. I can't count the number of people I have seen driving in the dusk/dawn hours without headlights on. Some things that seem to be common sense are apparently too difficult for quite a few people to comprehend (like, if it's dark out, turn your freakin' headlights on). If you can't read your dashboard to see how fast you are going, it *MIGHT* be too dark out to be driving around without headlights. ;)

Anyway, nothing personal. I was just curious in general as to why anyone would want to do it. Now I understand. :)

Matt

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ski4Ever said:
So, maybe keeping my headlights on all the time will burn them out sooner, but it doesn't seem to be a big impact in cost.
Well, I didn't say they were all good reasons taken individually. :D

But then how do you define 'cost'? Sure, the bulb is cheap, assuming you haven't upgraded to a high quality aftermarket bulb. Of course even the best bulbs aren't really all that expensive, just harder to find - you bought a spare right? Luckily you don't own a car where you pray the right headlight bulb never burns out because you have to remove the windshield washer reservoir to replace it. Not everyone owns a heated garage - good thing bulbs never burn out in the dead of freezing winter. And the bulb would NEVER burn out when you were away for a week on a business trip to New Orleans forcing your wife to take the car to a service center to replace a bulb which all of sudden isn't a cheap and easy thing anymore.

All this is moot anyway, because the clueless 'tards that need DRLs won't notice that the bulb burned out and will be driving around with one headlight for months . . .

·
Registered
98 Posts
zumdish said:
the clueless 'tards that need DRLs won't notice that the bulb burned out and will be driving around with one headlight for months . . .
hahahaha...that wouldn't be so funny if it weren't COMPLETELY true. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2015 2.5i Outback Ltd
133 Posts
I just leave the headlight switch "on" on my '97. The turn the car off and the lights go off is one of the best features, IMHO, of the Subby.

--Bill

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Bill, you sound like my wife (well, in writing anyway:D) She leaves the switch on all the time in her Baja, and when I drive it I turn it back off. She says it's so much easier than always turnin' them on. Brian

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
As far as the DRLs go, the idea doesn't bother me and since I do all my own maintenance the cost of replacing a bulb would be very small. Luckily my wife is like me, find help from a friend or neighbor before spending that $65 p/hr to do a few minute job.

The safety factor, well, the DRLs do get a person's attention which is the whole point in avoiding an accident. Though, for motorcycles, DRLs may be debatable, if a person doesn't see you they don't see you. My '90 wreck with a B210 that crossed the road in front of me proved that. (A 16 yr and 30 day old kid going to "Johnny's" house to show off his license most likely.) Still I felt bad for him. My bike ended up in a blackberry patch and I played Hollywood stunt man. Only a broken arm and a totaled bike (w/DRL).

For autos, DRLs are more effective IMHO.

Of course, not all new vehicles have DRLs, GM probably influenced FHI in this one, since they own 20% of FHI stock.

That's my 2 cents.

Todd

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had to update this thread.

They're out there . . .

I often cross paths with a particular Outback in the morning.

For a solid week now one of his DRLs has been burned out.:D

1 - 20 of 74 Posts