Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Outback 2012 Premium 2.5i
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OutbackPals:

I have a 2012 2.5 liter with CVT. This morning I got just clicking when I tried to start the car. Actually, it is my wife's car. I jumped it and it started fine. Only things I could see left on were one driver's side dome light, and the passenger side seat heater. Does anybody know if the seat heater continues to drain with the engine off and key out of ignition?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
738 Posts
The Seat heater only works with the car running, I leave it on at night and use remote start on cold morning and seat warms along with the engine.

·
Registered
Outback 2012 Premium 2.5i
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Seat heater only works with the car running, I leave it on at night and use remote start on cold morning and seat warms along with the engine.
I figured that must be the case, but just checking. Must have been a dome light or door not closed. Something. Hopefully it does not happen again.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
I agree with the dome light diagnosis. They make an aftermarket battery saver that will kill the aux power after about 20 minutes if the engine is not running. My Chevy Suburban came with it as a feature that has saved my battery plenty of times. That thing has like 14 interior lights and the kids don't always shut the doors all the way.

You might need a shop to install it for you (no matter how easy it is to do), to avoid warranty issues.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I just put an LED bulb in the trunk light space of Mrs. Rasterman's car- she has had issues where she comes home from a 3-day trip and finds the battery dead & trunk not 100% closed at the airport. Between adjusting the trunk latch & the low-drain replacement light we're hoping she won't need more jumpstarts.

·
Registered
18,420 Posts
If a door had been left ajar, and if the light that was on was one of those that normally dims, and then fades off after the doors are closed, the car's body integrated unit would have turned it off after about 20 minutes. It's called the "Battery drainage prevention
function" and is described in Section 2 of the Owners Manual.

However, the switches for the Map lights and the ceiling dome light must not be at the ON position for this to work. If the "driver side dome light" was on the next morning, I presume that means the driver side map light, and that suggests that the related switch had probably been used to turn the light on before getting out of the car and it had inadvertently been left in the On position.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i, 2011 WRX Limited
84 Posts
OutbackPals:

I have a 2012 2.5 liter with CVT. This morning I got just clicking when I tried to start the car. Actually, it is my wife's car. I jumped it and it started fine. Only things I could see left on were one driver's side dome light, and the passenger side seat heater. Does anybody know if the seat heater continues to drain with the engine off and key out of ignition?
I believe that the seat heaters can be turned on after the ignition has been turned off, and thus drain the battery very quickly. If they were turned on while the car was running, they turn off automatically, IIRC.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
I believe that the seat heaters can be turned on after the ignition has been turned off, and thus drain the battery very quickly. If they were turned on while the car was running, they turn off automatically, IIRC.
This is true with the key in the accessory position. Radio, lighting, seat heat, window motors, defrost blower, wipers etc. will all function in this mode.

It's possible to turn off the ignition but leave the key set to accessory mode and get all this drain. It's not generally possible to remove the key while in accessory mode.

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,113 Posts
There have been several times I have inadvertently left my seat heater on after stopping and removal of the key. No battery problems. Headlights too...I have the stupid DRLs and have left the headlight switch on and parked the car overnight. Again, no battery problems. Perhaps you have a ground fault?? Rasterman will know much more than me however.

·
Registered
22,835 Posts
Hauling kids in and out of car seats I've bumped the over head light and later gone out and noticed the light on in the car. For sure dead battery would have happened. Seat heaters my wife never turns them off. LOL never ever a dead batter due to that.

Either a door was left open or a light bumped and left on etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts