Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OB Touring 3 months old with <6000 miles and went to start this AM and completely dead. Strange tapping heard at rear of car while trying to start. Starter not even engaging. Have my trickle charger on for 6 hours with no response.

2nd time this has happened. The first time, left the rear gate up overnight. Subaru replaced the battery. Calling dealership tomorrow.

I should have kept my 2016 OB.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
A trickle charger isn't going to be up to the task of recharging a battery from so far down that it won't start the car. Certainly not in a few hours.

Leaving the hatch or a door open overnight is practically guaranteed to deplete the battery. What are the chances that you accidentally left a light on or a door ajar this time, or didn't properly shut down the car if you have pushbutton start? If you have PB start and leave the fob too close to the car, that can prevent the car from shutting all the way down, which could potentially drain the battery unexpectedly.

If you're sure none of that happened, have the dealer check the "dark current" (a.k.a. "parasitic current") - how much electrical current is being drawn from the battery when the car is shut down. If it's more than about 70 mA, the cause of that needs to be tracked down and corrected. 70 mA is the spec (or was in earlier models), but realistically it should be much lower than that.

If the parasitic current is in spec, you can recharge the battery and see if it happens again, try to talk the dealer into replacing the battery yet again, or spend $100 to $300 on a battery with greater capacity and hope that solves the immediate problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OB Touring 3 months old with <6000 miles and went to start this AM and completely dead. Strange tapping heard at rear of car while trying to start. Starter not even engaging. Have my trickle charger on for 6 hours with no response.

2nd time this has happened. The first time, left the rear gate up overnight. Subaru replaced the battery. Calling dealership tomorrow.

I should have kept my 2016 OB.
My battery is dead on my 2017 Outback. I'm not sure what to do, considering a new battery might not fix it.

Car gurus has a thread about this. A lot of 2016 and 2017 Outbacks with charging problems of some sort.

I did call Subaru and they were really helpful. They are sending coupons.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I'm thinking a car with <6K miles, Subaru should replace the battery under warranty.
What if the battery isn't the problem? We don't have enough information to know what the root cause of the problem is this time; the previous one was caused by leaving the hatch open all night. Why should Subaru replace a battery because of a mistake the owner made, if that's the problem again, unless they want to make a goodwill gesture?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
skipw
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing