Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last time I had a completely dead 2020 Outback . Had it towed . Dealer said it started fine next day. Supposedly checked battery and charge system . Said all checked out OK.

tonight totally dead again . i will cal roadside assistance tomorrow morn. Maybe it will start for me in the morning ha ha

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I can't recall if you had the larger 640cca battery or the smaller 620cca one, but people who had problems like yours had their batteries changed to the larger ones and it solved their problems. Seems like some dealers aren't properly testing batteries.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't recall if you had the larger 640cca battery or the smaller 620cca one, but people who had problems like yours had their batteries changed to the larger ones and it solved their problems. Seems like some dealers aren't properly testing batteries.
I currently have smaller battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with my newly purchased 06/2020 Outback last week. Had to jump start it twice over the first two weeks of ownership. The first time was only one day after a 300 mile drive. After the second jump start, I took it to the express service lane at my dealer. They tested the battery and it failed immediately. They replaced the original 620 CCA battery with a 640 CCA battery (Subaru p/n SOA821B700). See attached image for a photo of each. I was in and out in about an hour. Kudos to Austin Subaru. The replacement was covered under warranty. My paperwork listed the 640 CCA battery at $421.60 and the battery test at $76.79.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premium
6 Posts
I had the same issue with my newly purchased 06/2020 Outback last week. Had to jump start it twice over the first two weeks of ownership. The first time was only one day after a 300 mile drive. After the second jump start, I took it to the express service lane at my dealer. They tested the battery and it failed immediately. They replaced the original 620 CCA battery with a 640 CCA battery (Subaru p/n SOA821B700). See attached image for a photo of each. I was in and out in about an hour. Kudos to Austin Subaru. The replacement was covered under warranty. My paperwork listed the 640 CCA battery at $421.60 and the battery test at $76.79.
Thank you for the picture. Much more helpful than telling me to look at the battery.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT Ice Silver Metallic
266 Posts
Thank you for the picture. Much more helpful than telling me to look at the battery.
Nice jab at somebody who was just trying to help... the photo just illustrates that literally all you needed to do was look at the sticker on top of the battery.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,140 Posts
Honestly, my post wasn't intended to be disrespectful. Batteries have been an issue in both Gen 5 and Gen 6 for a while, and in some cases dealers have accommodated upsizing if there are issues. I also believe that Canada-spec Outbacks, along with some delivered to northern states, have been upsized.

The only way to know for sure what you've got is to look at the specs. And as the images posted by @ndietz7 show, everything you need to know is on the label.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, 2014 Forester, 2007 Outback Limited
26 Posts
I also had my battery replaced this past week. In another post, I mentioned having to jump-start the car 4 times over the past 6 months. Over the past week, the car needed to be jump-started if it sat for more than 2 days. Battery failed dealer diagnostics. Subaru replaced the 620 CCA with the 640 CCA battery. Unfortunately they didn't have the battery in stock, so I had to make a second trip to the dealer once it came in. Hopefully that means I got a fresh battery.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited 2.5 Hi-Yo, Ice Silver! Away!
231 Posts
Honestly, my post wasn't intended to be disrespectful. Batteries have been an issue in both Gen 5 and Gen 6 for a while, and in some cases dealers have accommodated upsizing if there are issues. I also believe that Canada-spec Outbacks, along with some delivered to northern states, have been upsized.

The only way to know for sure what you've got is to look at the specs. And as the images posted by @ndietz7 show, everything you need to know is on the label.

Maybe they have, but I definitely got the older battery on my Oct 19 build

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
604 Posts
wonder why the 620 s work in most cars with no issues? I guess it s unlikely a dealer will upgrade just for asking?

·
Registered
26 Posts
wonder why the 620 s work in most cars with no issues? I guess it s unlikely a dealer will upgrade just for asking?
They ran a battery diagnostic on mine, which failed. I don't know if they would have replaced it if it didn't fail. I suspect the diagnostic involves fully charging the battery, putting a load on it, and timing how long the voltage drops below a certain point. The battery has a 30 month free replacement warranty and 85 month pro-rated replacement after that, so if you're not having problems, you have some time to see if an issue develops. However, I would invest in a portable battery jump starter and keep it in the back against the rear seat because I found out the hard way you can't open the rear hatch with a dead battery.

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Limited XT
558 Posts
After following this thread for a while I finally got around to looking at my battery, it’s the 620 one. I’m retired and only drive every couple days, mainly because I have a new car to play with, but I’ve had no battery issues, so far🤞

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT Ice Silver Metallic
266 Posts
The minimal 20CCA difference between the batteries likely has nothing to do with why the 640s seem to resolve the issues for people that had problems with the 620 battery. Most likely, there is just a marginal/bad batch of the 620 batteries in circulation and those that have a “good” one don’t have any issues. My Onyx XT was just built in June of 2020 and it still came with the 620CCA/LN2 battery which I have had no problems with in the 2k miles that I have driven. If it does fail under warranty, I’ll demand a 640 replacement and outside of warranty I would likely buy a good quality aftermarket battery.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The minimal 20CCA difference between the batteries likely has nothing to do with why the 640s seem to resolve the issues for people that had problems with the 620 battery. Most likely, there is just a marginal/bad batch of the 620 batteries in circulation and those that have a “good” one don’t have any issues.
I agree with this. I suspect most people will never have a problem with the 620 CCA batteries, unless you got one of the bad ones. I noticed issues within the first 6 weeks of owning the car. If you're beyond that and haven't had any problems, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
759 Posts
A silly question maybe but do you leave you hatch or doors open? On a Subaru Outback that will kill the battery if left overnight. Not sure why.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts