Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with Competition Subaru in Smithtown NY. I called them to get a price, because I was feeling a little nervous about changing the fluid myself. They had also given me a good price when I bought the car. They quoted me a price of over $500. 2 hours of labor and 5-6 quarts of fluid and time spent for"electronic relearning" for the CVT. I do not believe that is a thing. Does anyone here know any different?

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
17,878 Posts
Fluid change is 0.6 hrs.

It will be about 5-6 qts at approx $18/qt.

No relearn is necessary. Relearn is performed when the valve body has been worked on, or a torque converter replaced.

·
Registered
2020 Outback 2.5i Premium
372 Posts
Just got off the phone with Competition Subaru in Smithtown NY. I called them to get a price, because I was feeling a little nervous about changing the fluid myself. They had also given me a good price when I bought the car. They quoted me a price of over $500. 2 hours of labor and 5-6 quarts of fluid and time spent for"electronic relearning" for the CVT. I do not believe that is a thing. Does anyone here know any different?
There's no relearn needed. However, the scan tool needs to be hooked up to the car per the fluid check procedure. Some dealers may charge "computer time" ontop of parts and regular labor times.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I changed my CVT fluid yesterday. It took less than an hour and the fluid cost $72 at the dealer....plus $12 for a transfer pump at Advance Auto. Changing CVT fluid is super easy. It's no big deal.

Reactions: avk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Tell that to the numerous members who've accidentally put gear oil into their CVTs (among other major blunders). Best not to trivialize something that is clearly not obvious to everyone.
Fair enough. I get your point. I didn't know people were putting gear oil in their CVT's but have heard of confusing it with engine oil change. My point was to help DIY'ers not to be intimidated and hopefully save some cash.

I just did my plugs and I would say if plugs are a 6/10 on difficulty scale the CVT drain and proper fill is around 3.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
4,972 Posts
My point was to help DIY'ers not to be intimidated and hopefully save some cash.
If you search the forum, you will find plenty of DIYers around here, and you might also come to understand how this thread is not applicable. For the VAST majority of car owners, this is money WELL spent, either because they lack the tools (both plugs and fluids require significant investment) and/or the know how (or simply the free time ;)).

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
5,225 Posts
If you search the forum, you will find plenty of DIYers around here, and you might also come to understand how this thread is not applicable. For the VAST majority of car owners, this is money WELL spent, either because they lack the tools (both plugs and fluids require significant investment) and/or the know how (or simply the free time ;)).
Don't leave out those like me who just don't have the ambition to do it. Tools, time, and know-how are adequate, but I just plain don't feel like doing those tasks anymore.

Though somehow I managed to talk myself into pulling the transmission out of my old '78 Chevy plow truck to get rebuilt. By the time I get it back together I'm pretty sure I will be convinced that I should have just paid someone to do the entire job rather than doing it myself.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Please give more detailed procedure. What is transfer pump? Thanks
Moon1956 PM me if you want more info on how I did my CVT. I don't want to further derail this thread.

Nickel Household hardware Tool Aluminium Office supplies

1. Remove the drain plug, let the fluid drain.
2. Install the drain plug, use a new gasket, tightening torque: 22.9 ft-lb (31 N·m, 3.2 kgf-m)
3. Remove the filler plug and add fluid until it starts dripping
4. Temporarily tighten the filler plug
5. Idle the engine to raise CVTF temperature to 35 — 45°C (95 — 113°F)
6. Operate the select lever in P → R → N → D and D → N → R → P to circulate CVTF with the engine idling.
7. With the engine running (transmission in Park), repeat step 3.
8. Install the filler plug, use a new gasket, Tightening torque: 36.9 ft-lb (50 N·m, 5.1 kgf-m)

CHECK LEVEL THE NEXT DAY ALSO! :)

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
835 Posts
I was told by Subaru Orange Park FL that they do not offer a flush service and advise against it. They quoted me at $660 if I insisted that I wanted it done.
So that dealer really doesn't want to do it - dealer in Wichita is the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts