Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe I have the same issue. My 2011 2.5 limited seems to burn oil and coolant. Getting a second opinion this weekend, hoping its just air in the system or something. My symptoms include the sound of rushing water behind the dash, having to add oil every 1000 miles or so, and occasional overheat light coming on after a long drive, and seeing and smelling coolant when i open the hood at that time. Car has 86,000 miles. Should I fix it or trade it in asap?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Seriously. How much are you willing to spend to have it fixed and how much are you willing to spend on a new-to-you car? What is the shape of the rest of the car?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
One thing I have learned over the years is to check your fluid levels on a regular basis. Oil, when I buy gas. Auto transmission once a month, Coolant once a month. This will catch any likely problems and hopefully won't turn into a bigger problem.

Sometimes head gaskets fail when there is a small coolant leak (HGs, or other place) and if the radiator is not checked the fluid level drops and it doesn't refill because of a bad rad cap or air leak eventually it will overheat.

I'm sort of dismayed that several Subaru dealers don't know the classic symbols of a head gasket failure and wouldn't automatically check for combustion gases in the coolant. Guess I am spoiled as I have a Subaru mechanic that lives in my house.

·
Registered
657 Posts
So in the space of 2 months, we have had 3 new posters complaining about internal HG leaks on 2011 subarus [just in this string].

Wow, 2011 must have been a bad year for Subarus! I sure hope that the engine problems have all been solved in the FB motor in my 2014.

·
Super Moderator
25,190 Posts
So in the space of 2 months, we have had 3 new posters complaining about internal HG leaks on 2011 subarus [just in this string].

Wow, 2011 must have been a bad year for Subarus! I sure hope that the engine problems have all been solved in the FB motor in my 2014.
maybe just because the 3 people with problems with their 11,....search and find this thread.

like searching "overheating 2011 outback" and bam here they are.

and the early run of FB25B have oil burning problems. ...and some got new short blocks from subaru.

so actually the 2010-12 last of the EJ253 made with the multilayer steel head gaskets maybe the best of the EJ253 engines made.,

...no systemic head gasket problems like the single layer steel head gaskets ones of 2005-2009. (known to eventually leak oil externally).

·
Registered
657 Posts
so actually the 2010-12 last of the EJ253 made with the multilayer steel head gaskets maybe the best of the EJ253 engines made.,
I'd agree that it should have been the best. There are just too many reported HG problems with the MLS gaskets in these engines. It's anecdotal, but still I've seen too many reports. I would never recommend any of the EJ 2.5 engines. As a matter of fact, I was asked by someone about new subarus since they knew that I have owned so many, and I said that I just didn't know if I could recommend them. The engineers at subaru should have solved the HG problem instead of letting it fester over a decade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ended up being thermostat, shop replaced thermostat once and still overheated and burped coolant out the overflow, eventually figured out there was air in the system and he said something about a small bleed hole in the thermostat

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I had a friend his Mercedes was doing this. Same dealer story. We started fooling with it and found the return hose from the overflow tank was sucking small amounts of air right at the radiator nipple. We replaced the hose and no more problems.

I think your right a very small leak where air is being drawn in during the cool cycle is the cause. A HG failure wouldn’t go weeks before upsetting the cooling system.

I would send Subaru.com contact us a email. Tell them the story, the vin# and dealer name tell them the dealer needs help in finding this issue before it does cause engine damage.

Dealers can be lazy and unmotivated tracking down these type if issues when they have $500 12,000 mile service packages to do aka 15min oil changes for $500👍

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
Ended up being thermostat, shop replaced thermostat once and still overheated and burped coolant out the overflow, eventually figured out there was air in the system and he said something about a small bleed hole in the thermostat
just keep an eye on it - most coolant/overheating stories start exactly like this even if they don't end there.

"they said it was XYZ and replaced it and I'm good"

couple days...months...weeks later - you've got cooling system issues again.

happens all the time...change coolant, change tstat, change hoses, change radiator, change water pump (what a terribly sad waste)....

just keep your eye on it over the next weeks/month.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
I'd agree that it should have been the best. There are just too many reported HG problems with the MLS gaskets in these engines. It's anecdotal, but still I've seen too many reports. I would never recommend any of the EJ 2.5 engines. As a matter of fact, I was asked by someone about new subarus since they knew that I have owned so many, and I said that I just didn't know if I could recommend them. The engineers at subaru should have solved the HG problem instead of letting it fester over a decade.
i get that, but it's more complicated. as said - that's a tiny sample size. if you can't recommend any manufacturer that has had 10 issues - then there's no vehicle you can recommend.

also the market is changing rapidly. novelty, new, stylish, offerings, gadgets, electronics sell cars.

takes two to tango - consumers are in this as much as manufacturers. sure i'd like subaru (and all manufacturers) to keep perfecting their best platforms...but that doesn't sell.

fast paced and increasing emissions and safety changes require more budget than the 80's and 90's.

there are global demands for diesel and electric and hybrid offerings.

consumers are demanding, want lots of options, choices, shopping online, willing to travel to force the best price, etc.

manufacturers are all feeling the pinch of navigating that without enormous price increases in a competitive market.

the days of old school honda accords, 4 Runners and Subarus are no longer here. that doesn't mean they're bad, but it is different across the board.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah mine burped again too, a month of driving after getting it out of the shop. I noticed my heat started blowing cold again. No temp light this time but I also caught it right away, both times it happened after getting off the interstate after a 45 minute drive and then driving through town. No accidents, car has basically been babied its whole life. My mechanic is adament it’s not a head gasket, but after reading this thread again from top to bottom.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guess who is getting head gaskets replaced now too? This guy! No I haven’t always used the “Genuine Subaru fluids and accessories”, but from reading all the different EJ head gasket issues out there it doesn’t seem to matter

·
Registered
3 Posts
simple tests for the HG problem

A subaru tech told me that he didn't think the HG would blow @ less than 67K miles. However he gave me 2 tests that I could do my self. 1. Check toil and see if it is milky looking. 2. More telling is to fill the radiator with pre-mixed antifreeze all the way when engine is cold. Make sure coolant is designed for use in Subarus. Once it is full, leave the radiator cap off, start the car, and let it run. If it steadily bubbles then it is pushing air from the engine and most likely the head gasket. Local mechanic is going to pressure test the radiator and also test the bubbles to see if the air is coming from inside of engine. According to my tests, it looks like the bill will be over $2K if I go ahead and replace timing belt and water pump locally and $2400+ @ the subaru dealer 2.5 hrs away. I just hope no head work is needed.

This is the first car I've had a major repair on in many years. My first and last subaru. I'm not going to keep it until the CV transmission goes with its $4K+ bill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just brought my 2011 Premium 2.5 in to the dealer with the same issue. And the mechanic the service rep got to explain it to me said it's probably the head gasket.

What's frustrating is that I brought it in regularly to my dealership for oil changes so how is this my fault?

·
Registered
5 Posts
i got the same thin. all started when i changed my main belt and calibrated valves.
1 firstly hear boubles when starting car
2 later overheat one time
3 started boiling without overheat
4 boiling with overheating
yesturday i chanhed headgasket (cost apout 900USD).

in adion i have instaled LPG. and today when driving on 130km/h (LPG) started overheating again (temperature rised over 114celcius, so i take of my foot off accelerator) =((( stoped and the antifreez was boiling. so stoped waited a bit filled antifreez and drive on 100km/h (60 miles/h) and temperature about 94-99 celcius (if you think from where i know temperature, so i added OBD scaner, to test temperature).

when i was comining back home tryed driving on petrol on 130km/h, but was o lot of cars so i sometimes must realiese speed sometimes and temperature about 95-98.

does someone have any ideas?

today at the night when small car trafick will be i will try again on LPG and on petrol?

or maby can someone recomend something?

·
Registered
4,479 Posts
Just brought my 2011 Premium 2.5 in to the dealer with the same issue. And the mechanic the service rep got to explain it to me said it's probably the head gasket.

What's frustrating is that I brought it in regularly to my dealership for oil changes so how is this my fault?
It's not your fault but neither is it the dealer's fault. Head gaskets fail. Nothing done during an oil change is going to cause a head gasket to leak. They sometimes just fail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been having a similar experience with my 2011 Outback. I bought it used from dealer with 58k in January 2018. At 75k, the engine was overheating and blowing fluid from overflow tank. Refilled and brought to Green Bay Subaru Dealer. Dealer Checked thermostat and that was ok. Ended up Replacing the water pump. (Covered under lifetime power train warranty as car was not a certified used car).

Overheated after normal driving 4 weeks later with fluid coming from overflow. Refilled and still overheated after a few miles. Currently, waiting for a tow and going to get checked out tomorrow. After reading through this, I am expecting it be a head gasket. Hope I can get it covered under power train warranty. Will update after it is diagnosed.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
32 Participants
OutbackWI
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing