Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All

My OB is a 2013 limited 2.5 and when I tried the " Dealer custom Mode adjustment" after performing steps 1 thru 4 , nothing shows up as the " Dealer Custom Mode " .

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I too have a 2013 Subaru Outback 2.5 Limited and had made several attempts. I re-read this entire thread and found when people were having trouble, the recommendation was always to go faster. After turning on the car, I kept one hand on the light switch and the other on the trip meter knob and went as fast as I could. Guess what… IT WORKED! The one thing important, when pushing the knob, you really are rapidly tapping it. You will see the center LCD between the Tachometer and Speedometer go to 1 0 when you got it.

After doing some manual calculations, I have found the fuel to be consistently off around 1 mph when filling up a tank, so am going to start with -4. I have also found the temp to be accurate when the engine is cold, but after it warms up, it is usually 2 to 3 degrees off, so I adjusted this to -2.
<O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p
Has anyone figured out what 4 and 5 are for? As others have posted, I did not really see 4, but did see 5, which was set to on.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
9 Posts
Move on to “DEALER CUSTOMIZE MODE"

There are 3 parameters that can be changed via the Combination Meter System. If your Fuel Economy display is high or low (after manual calculation) you can adjust it. To enter the Dealer Customize Mode you MUST do everything within the prescribed time as described below.

3. DEALER CUSTOMIZE MODE
The combination meter can be customized with dealer customize according to the following procedure.
CAUTION:
Perform the steps described in 1) through 4) within 10 seconds.
1) Within 3 seconds after turning the ignition switch to ON, set the lighting switch to tail light or headlight position.
2) Press the trip meter knob five times.
3) Turn the lighting switch to OFF, and press the trip meter knob five times.
4) Set the lighting switch to tail light or headlight position again, and press the trip meter knob five times.
5) Move on to the “DEALER CUSTOMIZE MODE”.
• When the dealer customize mode operates, the LCD displays each adjustment screen.
• The dealer customize mode consists of three setting screens. {Avg.F/E Correction Screen}, {Ambient
Temp. Correction Screen} and {Clock Adjust. Screen} is displayed cyclically in this order every time the trip
meter knob is tapped.
• Holding down the trip meter knob while each setting screen is displayed can change the setting value.
NOTE:
When ignition switch is turned OFF or the vehicle is driven, the customize mode is cancelled automatically.
No. Customize mode Initial value Correction range
1 Avg.F/E Correction Screen (initial value+/-0%) Correction Range+/-10%
2 Ambient Temp. Correction Screen (initial value)+/-0°C (°F) Correction Range+/-3°C (°F)
3 Clock Adjust. Screen (initial value on) Correction range on or off
Hi

I am having a great deal of difficulty getting to this stage. I quess that the trip meter knob is the one on the left side which sellects either the A trip or B trip functions. When you get to the DEALER CUSTOMIZE MODE how is this displayed and do you make the changes by tapping, push and holding or just turning the trip meter knob ?

Thanks

Oldbill

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yes... it is the one on the left (Trip Meter A/B Selection)

It is displayed where you see the Trip meter and odometer reading. It will start off with "1 0" To change it, you hold down the Trip Meter Selection. Just tap the Trip Meter Selection to move to "2 0" and so on.

I have sent to SOA asking what 4 and 5 are for. I will post back once I get an answer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Response from SOA...

It looks like the posting is missing the additional information from our manual. Per our Service Manual, 1-3 are the same as you have listed. Our literature skips 4, but 5 is for the Demo Mode screen setting.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Stopping the Gauges From Doing a Full Sweep

Without entering the menu, if you just open your car door and hit the trip button 3 times without the keys in (or in the first position) it will cycle trip A, trip B, and then another menu option that says 1 on/ 1 of[f]. Does anyone know what this controls?
Turning it off makes the gauges not do the full sweep when you start the car.

Has anyone been successful in keeping the gauges from doing a full sweep at startup?

Was able to adjust the fuel economy readout to -4, but no luck with eliminating the full sweep feature.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Where a lot of folks are debating the fuel volume/squirt and computed mileage, it seems we're missing an important variable... Vol/squirt is NOT constant. It varies with exact fuel pressure, temperature, fuel viscosity, and fuel density. Different blends will have different properties, and temperature has a small impact on density and flow rate as well.

So yeah... volume per injector pulse isn't constant. That's one of the big errors in these systems. How do I know? I am a systems engineer on an aircraft propulsion system, and we have to deal with the exact same problem. We spend a lot of time on this because we need it to be more accurate than in cars. We're trying to keep airplanes from falling out of the sky. ;) Measuring volume by injector pulse is close (can typically be tuned to within 1-2%), but it will never be exact, due to variability in the fuel.

As an aside, the fuel flow variability is an even bigger issue for diesel/jet fuel engines. Temp has a bigger impact on volumetric flow rate for a given pressure.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Went into the adjustment screens on my 2014 Legacy but decided not to make any changes because out of the last three tanks of fuel two show the reading low and one high. So it s not consistant enough to make a change in my mind. All no more than 1 or so MPG s either way. Can t figure that out. Doesn t make sense to me to adjust this and only have to re check it all the time anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ignition on
turn headlights on
hit trip meter 5 times
headlights off
hit trip meter 5 times
headlights on
hit trip meter 5 times
Is there some other trick that has to be done while doing this? I just tried this several times, and can't get anything to "happen". I've tried starting out with the lights off or in auto mode. All that happens as I do this is the obvious...the headlights go on/off, and the trip odometer cycles between A and B. I'm starting the process well within 3s of turning the ignition to the on position, and finishing in less than 10s.

I'm doing this in a 2013 2.5 Limited.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Perform the steps described in 1) through 4) within 10 seconds.
1) Within 3 seconds after turning the ignition switch to ON, set the lighting switch to tail light or headlight position.
2) Press the trip meter knob five times.
3) Turn the lighting switch to OFF, and press the trip meter knob five times.
4) Set the lighting switch to tail light or headlight position again, and press the trip meter knob five times.
5) Move on to the “DEALER CUSTOMIZE MODE”.
• When the dealer customize mode operates, the LCD displays each adjustment screen.
• The dealer customize mode consists of three setting screens. {Avg.F/E Correction Screen}, {Ambient
Temp. Correction Screen} and {Clock Adjust. Screen} is displayed cyclically in this order every time the trip
meter knob is tapped.
• Holding down the trip meter knob while each setting screen is displayed can change the setting value.
NOTE:
When ignition switch is turned OFF or the vehicle is driven, the customize mode is cancelled automatically.
No. Customize mode Initial value Correction range
1 Avg.F/E Correction Screen (initial value+/-0%) <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Correction</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Range</st1:placeType></st1:place>+/-10%
2 Ambient Temp. Correction Screen (initial value)+/-0°C (°F) Correction Range+/-3°C (°F)
3 Clock Adjust. Screen (initial value on) Correction range on or off

A

·
0 Posts
Manual Calculation

What everyone seems to be missing is that you may be getting less fuel at the pump than you are paying for, hence less mileage on your manual calculation than your car computer shows, I tend to trust the cars computer more than the fuel station pumps & assume I'm being ripped off.
I have verified this with 6 gallon cans that miraculously take 7 gallons to fill at the station.

( Inspectors may use 5 gallon cans to test, so could they start ripping you off after the first 5 gallons pumped? )

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I think I posted this earlier, but if you are having trouble, make sure the fog lights are OFF. At least in my 2011, you cannot access these setting with the fog lights on.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Same here...

Maybe I'm being dense. I'm assuming that "set the lighting switch to tail light or headlight position" means the light switch on the turn signal stalk. But what is the "tail light position"?

I'm also assuming the "
trip meter knob" is the left side knob sticking out from the instrument cluster?

Then, how does one "
Move on to the “DEALER CUSTOMIZE MODE”."? Or maybe that's obvious if steps 1-4 work as expected...?

Still unable to reach the anticipated result, but not really sweating it...

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm assuming that "set the lighting switch to tail light or headlight position" means the light switch on the turn signal stalk. But what is the "tail light position"?
I'm guessing they're talking about the parking lights position... anything but Off or Auto. I just always turn it to On.

I'm also assuming the "trip meter knob" is the left side knob sticking out from the instrument cluster?
Correct.

Then, how does one "Move on to the “DEALER CUSTOMIZE MODE”."? Or maybe that's obvious if steps 1-4 work as expected...?
Yeah, it will be pretty apparent once you get in.

Still unable to reach the anticipated result, but not really sweating it...
I tried for a couple of days without luck and was convinced that my OB was different and that procedure wasn't going to work. I finally got "fast enough" with all the steps and got in. I kept my left hand on the headlight switch (on the turn signal stalk) the entire time. I turned the key to ON with my right hand (one step past ACC), and then as quickly as I could, I turned the headlights on and reached across through the steering wheel with my right hand and started furiously pressing the trip meter post for the first series of five very quick presses. Turned off the lights with the left hand, presses the post five more times, etc., etc. You can do it!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ok. I finally got there. I think the trick was not to think about the instructions...just get into a rhythm and do the steps as quickly as possible. I adjusted my MPG down 4%. I'm curious about the ambient temp adjustment. If I want the car to think the interior is warmer, which way do I adjust ambient temp? + or -?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ok. I finally got there. I think the trick was not to think about the instructions...just get into a rhythm and do the steps as quickly as possible. I adjusted my MPG down 4%. I'm curious about the ambient temp adjustment. If I want the car to think the interior is warmer, which way do I adjust ambient temp? + or -?
I thought you could only adjust the outside temp display??? Maybe I m wrong... but + would answer your question.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Response from SOA...

It looks like the posting is missing the additional information from our manual. Per our Service Manual, 1-3 are the same as you have listed. Our literature skips 4, but 5 is for the Demo Mode screen setting.
I tried this tonight and got the sequence correct the first time :29:

Mine is an Australian delivered 2011 2.5 and I get the following displayed with each tap of the trip meter

1 0
2 0
3 On
4 On

So it would be good to find out what 4 is (assuming 1-3 are the same)

cheers
mutton

61 - 80 of 113 Posts
About this Discussion
112 Replies
74 Participants
scoobydoo2
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing