Subaru Outback Forums banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Has anyone found any other customization settings for this display? I'm happy with the default units (I'm in Canada so that's L/100 km) but I would imagine some of my fellow Canadians might prefer MPG, and some Americans would like L/100 km.
I've also noticed that the values in the instantaneous display are limited - it never reads above 50.0 L/100 km, even when accelerating hard from a stop. I'd like it to display the actual fuel consumption rate right up to 99.9 in that situation. It also never reads below 2.0 L/100 km, even when coasting (in drive, not neutral) down a hill on the highway. Unless there is something wrong, fuel delivery should be shut off completely and the display should read 0.0 in that situation. I suspect a programmed limit rather than a mechanical fault because my 2005 also seemed to have a lower limit, but at 0.2 L/100 km it was close enough to 0 not to be too annoying.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anyone found any other customization settings for this display? I'm happy with the default units (I'm in Canada so that's L/100 km) but I would imagine some of my fellow Canadians might prefer MPG, and some Americans would like L/100 km.
I was hoping to find an adjustment for that sort of thing. I prefer reading MPG, but I would love to have my temperatures displayed in Celsius. I haven't found a way to change it so far...

·
Registered
415 Posts
In my 2013 SAP I had two additional options available both having an on/off option. Does anyone know what those additional options control?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The OBD-II ECM knows the following data: The fuel line pressure, intake manifold pressure, intake air temperature, mass air flow volume/unit time, the length of time that the injector pulses last, and how many pulses per unit of time are happening. It takes this data and combines it with vehicle speed and distance and calculates MPG. It also knows the level of fuel in the tank, and uses that to calculate how many miles you can drive to empty. Note that as the tires wear out, or if you change to a different size of tire, the car's ECM computer doesn't have a way to sense tire diameter changes on it's own, so it's fuel economy calculations will be inaccurate until you re-calibrate the computer. Also, fuel blend has a big effect. For example, if I fill up in California, where the gas is 10% ethanol, my fuel economy will be noticeably lower than if I fill up in Nevada or Oregon, where the gas is 100% gasoline. Winter/Summer fuel blends, in states where there is a difference, have an effect on fuel economy also. The summer fuel has more ethanol, I think, to mitigate detonation caused by higher cylinder head and intake air temperatures. More ethanol = increased fuel consumption.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Once again this forum comes thru for me. It took me about 10 tries before I finally got into the Customize Mode. I thought I was doing the sequence plenty fast enough, but apparently not. Once I really sped up the sequence it worked fine. Tried it a few times just to be sure. I dialed my F/E setting to -4% and will monitor for a few tanks before adjusting if needed. I have a 2011 Outback Limited.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
36 Posts
The OBD-II ECM knows the following data: The fuel line pressure, intake manifold pressure, intake air temperature, mass air flow volume/unit time, the length of time that the injector pulses last, and how many pulses per unit of time are happening. It takes this data and combines it with vehicle speed and distance and calculates MPG. It also knows the level of fuel in the tank, and uses that to calculate how many miles you can drive to empty. Note that as the tires wear out, or if you change to a different size of tire, the car's ECM computer doesn't have a way to sense tire diameter changes on it's own, so it's fuel economy calculations will be inaccurate until you re-calibrate the computer. Also, fuel blend has a big effect. For example, if I fill up in California, where the gas is 10% ethanol, my fuel economy will be noticeably lower than if I fill up in Nevada or Oregon, where the gas is 100% gasoline. Winter/Summer fuel blends, in states where there is a difference, have an effect on fuel economy also. The summer fuel has more ethanol, I think, to mitigate detonation caused by higher cylinder head and intake air temperatures. More ethanol = increased fuel consumption.
Actually, depending on where you purchase your fuel in Nevada, You will be filling with California fuel. Reno/Carson City/Lake Tahoe is all Cal gas. Las Vegas and most of Eastern Nevada is Utah gas.

And...

Ethanol is added to all gasoline fuels, (More ethanol in Premium fuels) in the winter time, for emission standards, not summer. Real time MPG goes down in the winter, as does performance. Idle get a bit (sic) on the rough side as well. Premium fuel (92/97 octane) always has ethanol here in Reno, Regular, (87/89 octane) does not.

When we go North to Washington State to visit family, Our Outbacks (2011, 2015 and now 2017) always got/get much better fuel mileage after we fill with Oregon fuel in Klamath Falls. (This year, our first trip in our new 2017 Outback Premium, we got 36.4 MPG indicated, actual was 35.2 at fill up in Portland, close enough to not want to go through the dog and pony show to adjust the 'accuracy'!)

·
Registered
36 Posts
so now im pissed, i have 96k ALL HIGHWAY and im still getting 23.5-24mpg .. WTF
Is that what shows on the dash or doing your own math? The dash computation is rarely right, unless you manually adjust it. We have our down to within .2 MPG of the self computation mode reading! (But it took a month of Sundays to get it that close!)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Will this work on a 2019 Outback??

There are 3 parameters that can be changed via the Combination Meter System. If your Fuel Economy display is high or low (after manual calculation) you can adjust it. To enter the Dealer Customize Mode you MUST do everything within the prescribed time as described below.

3. DEALER CUSTOMIZE MODE
The combination meter can be customized with dealer customize according to the following procedure.
CAUTION:
Perform the steps described in 1) through 4) within 10 seconds.
1) Within 3 seconds after turning the ignition switch to ON, set the lighting switch to tail light or headlight position.
2) Press the trip meter knob five times.
3) Turn the lighting switch to OFF, and press the trip meter knob five times.
4) Set the lighting switch to tail light or headlight position again, and press the trip meter knob five times.
5) Move on to the “DEALER CUSTOMIZE MODE”.
• When the dealer customize mode operates, the LCD displays each adjustment screen.
• The dealer customize mode consists of three setting screens. {Avg.F/E Correction Screen}, {Ambient
Temp. Correction Screen} and {Clock Adjust. Screen} is displayed cyclically in this order every time the trip
meter knob is tapped.
• Holding down the trip meter knob while each setting screen is displayed can change the setting value.
NOTE:
When ignition switch is turned OFF or the vehicle is driven, the customize mode is cancelled automatically.
No. Customize mode Initial value Correction range
1 Avg.F/E Correction Screen (initial value+/-0%) Correction Range+/-10%
2 Ambient Temp. Correction Screen (initial value)+/-0°C (°F) Correction Range+/-3°C (°F)
3 Clock Adjust. Screen (initial value on) Correction range on or off

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks OP. It worked well on my 2011 Outback 3.6R.

A feedback if anyone is going to try this: For me it worked only when doing the sequence with Tail Lights. It did not work with the sequence done with Head Lights.

Very happy with this. Even the dealership did not know about it :smile2:

There are 3 parameters that can be changed via the Combination Meter System. If your Fuel Economy display is high or low (after manual calculation) you can adjust it. ..........

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The l/100km gauge on our car is almost exactly what my ultra gauge reads so I think it is accurate.

101 - 113 of 113 Posts
About this Discussion
112 Replies
74 Participants
scoobydoo2
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing